Has a family member ever shamed you for growing your hair out?

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
Has anyone experienced this sort of treatment from family members when they decided to grow their hair out? My aunt constantly complains that my hair is too long and “wild looking” whenever she comes to visit and saying how I would look more presentable and “neat” with a short haircut. I told her countless times I want to grow it out to get it braided but she won’t shut the fukk up about it already and it’s annoying me. :francis:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
My grandmother was on that shyt.. only cut it because I was supposedly going into the “workforce”.

I should’ve dreaded it at the time but I had natural waves so it wasn’t all bad.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
yep....first because of my cornrows back in high school....typical "you look like a thug, wont get a job" talk....then around 30, i grew my beard out and every woman in my family had an issue...meanwhile, all the men got inspired and grew theirs out

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
No, I’m not African.

No disrespect of course.

Edit: Actually, nvm. My people would make me get a clean bean when I was a kid. But by late elementary I was able to grow my hair out.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
When I was younger, yeah. It's not shaming though. They are just expressing their views about the perception of long hair.
When you get older, you might realize that they probably meant well.

Last edited:

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Most of the women in my family don't like seeing a man with long hair and they let it out. My great aunt once said I look like her son, he has locs too and he needs to cut his hair because men shouldn't be able to toss their hair.

I laughed and said we're natural, you should follow the trend too.

Kept her quiet after that

:pachaha:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Has anyone experienced this sort of treatment from family members when they decided to grow their hair out? My aunt constantly complains that my hair is too long and “wild looking” whenever she comes to visit and saying how I would look more presentable and “neat” with a short haircut. I told her countless times I want to grow it out to get it braided but she won’t shut the fukk up about it already and it’s annoying me. :francis:
Yes, my grandma. But she also hated when I got a bald fade cut.