Has a family member ever shamed you for growing your hair out?

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I shame them. Shame them ALL
:blessed:

Ol' I want long hair like my woman so she got something to pull when she behind me puttin in work lookin' boy.

Ol' I whip my hair back and forth lookin' boy

Ol' you can call me 'Twan lookin' boy

Ol' let me swoop my edges lookin' boy

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Always kept my hair low my whole life. Like AZ always with the low fade. But there was a time I decided to really grow my beard extra long and people looked at me like I was an alien. Even my wife :comeon: She don’t want me to cut the beard off just doesn’t like it extra long. I keep the beard just at normal length now plus easier to maintain :ehh:

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Yeah, back in 2000 or so when everyon had braids, I started growing my hair out and my dad was not happy about that

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
When I was younger, yeah. It's not shaming though. They are just expressing their views about the perception of long hair.
When you get older, you might realize that they probably meant well.
Mostly their own perception. They personally don't like it.....and try to impose it on younger family members.

They don't mean well at all. It's borderline bullying.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
No. Can’t nobody tell me shyt. All my parents and grandparents been dead anyways.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Not shame but I get asked sometimes when imma cut my locs. I been saying I would for over a year but I was scared of the instant regret I'd feel after all that hard work :sadcam:

I'm at a place mentally and emotionally where I'm ready to cut them-- but I need the milestone. This has always been a "journey" for me. The shyt started during the most amazing and mindbending time of my life, so I wanna mark the end of journey with a proper close. My employee evaluation is next week

nervous-sports.gif

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Not shame but I get asked sometimes when imma cut my locs. I been saying I would for over a year but I was scared of the instant regret I'd feel after all that hard work :sadcam:

I'm at a place mentally and emotionally where I'm ready to cut them-- but I need the milestone. This has always been a "journey" for me. The shyt started during the most amazing and mindbending time of my life, so I wanna mark the end of journey with a proper close. My employee evaluation is next week

nervous-sports.gif
It’s your journey. Cut them on your time. Don’t feel pressured because people ask. Usually people don’t have much to say so they go for low hanging fruit like you saying you were going to cut them eventually :ufdup:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
It’s your journey. Cut them on your time. Don’t feel pressured because people ask. Usually people don’t have much to say so they go for low hanging fruit like you saying you were going to cut them eventually :ufdup:
What? All I said was that I'm asked when I'll cut them, not pressured. Even if I was I wouldn't care cause like I said I've been waiting on a milestone.