Has Anyone Successfully or Tried to Open a Grocery Store?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Im visiting my family back home in Michigan and our main and ONLY grocery store in the large Black area/side (Kroger) — closed earlier this year. The community did a call-to-action and tried to stop the closing - but the older white owners basically said they were tired and didn’t want to be in the area anymore.

The only other grocery stores (Walmart included) are located on the white sides of town which for those who live in the small city limits is 20-30 mins away.

I know Amazon has things on lock - but the area does not get Amazon Fresh, AmazonNow or any local services. Most don't even know about Prime - and would order online. I also do not see Amazon branching out into this area anytime in the near future.

The stores that are open — prices, health/produce selection are high and lackluster in general — when I compare it to shopping in Atlanta and online - but there are no other options. It’s a food desert.

I want to look into opening a grocery store in the Black area where it’s really needed. I know my financials and credit have to be on point - but I also am thinking about getting an investor.

My neighbors are Chaldean and use to own a grocery store in the city - but they closed it and it’s now something else. They are opening two Starbucks - I MAY talk to them about working together. I would rather not though.

I have known them since I was a child - when my dad built our house and moved us to the “burbs.”

I know they made their wealth from being in our neighborhoods. I don’t and never liked that. If anything, I know they can and would help guide me through.

Anyway.. has anyone here ever opened one or attempted too? Any advice? Best franchises to look into?

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I have not and don't really have any insight, but

so they are Iraqi? :jbhmm:

Yeah. We used to call them Arabs (my mom still does) - but they used to get mad and said they were Chaldean -- and they are Catholic. They are DEEP in Michigan. I grew up with two Chaldean families on my street -- the one mentioned and the other family owns two car dealerships.

Both are big families and to this very day - all of them stay at home with their parents - but they (now very grown children) are buying up the city/county like crazy.

Chaldean Catholics - Wikipedia
Michigan’s Iraqi Christians Helped Trump Win the Presidency. Now Many Are Facing Deportation.

The neighborhood my parents stay in is basically all Black with the exception of the two Chaldean families. Like mine, all the Black families are GM families (now retired) with side businesses.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
you a do not drink beer in store :jayfdup:

When I was younger - I was somewhat "close" to the whole fam - and one summer when I was in HS I went to work with them for one day. It was terrible.

Mainly cause their store was in the city/area where ALL my family lives and where I came from --- and the way I saw their other extended family members treat Black people that came into their nasty store that day changed how I looked at them.

One of their Uncles, who didn't know I was their neighbor and not a customer or employee -- tried to talk out of pocket to me -- and they were like "NO that's our neighbor!" and the Uncle immediately apologized -- but I knew then what was up. They only treated me different cause I lived next to them.

Last edited:

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
Im visiting my family back home in Michigan and our main and ONLY grocery store in the large Black area/side (Kroger) — closed earlier this year. The community did a call-to-action and tried to stop the closing - but the older white owners basically said they were tired and didn’t want to be in the area anymore.

The only other grocery stores (Walmart included) are located on the white sides of town which for those who live in the small city limits is 20-30 mins away.

I know Amazon has things on lock - but the area does not get Amazon Fresh, AmazonNow or any local services. Most don't even know about Prime - and would order online. I also do not see Amazon branching out into this area anytime in the near future.

The stores that are open — prices, health/produce selection are high and lackluster in general — when I compare it to shopping in Atlanta and online - but there are no other options. It’s a food desert.

I want to look into opening a grocery store in the Black area where it’s really needed. I know my financials and credit have to be on point - but I also am thinking about getting an investor.

My neighbors are Chaldean and use to own a grocery store in the city - but they closed it and it’s now something else. They are opening two Starbucks - I MAY talk to them about working together. I would rather not though.

I have known them since I was a child - when my dad built our house and moved us to the “burbs.”

I know they made their wealth from being in our neighborhoods. I don’t and never liked that. If anything, I know they can and would help guide me through.

Anyway.. has anyone here ever opened one or attempted too? Any advice? Best franchises to look into?
Detroit and Highland Park... and surrounding areas are food deserts

but i think small markets and shops would serve the hood areas better

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Detroit and Highland Park... and surrounding areas are food deserts

but i think small markets and shops would serve the hood areas better

I agree on small shops - but it needs to be 2-3 in an area - like how there is a family dollar or dollar tree every 10 miles now in our areas. They are all over our communities - but do not offer large food options and no produce or meat.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline

You don’t like that they made money from your hood.

But you want to make money from your hood?

Good on you for spotting a hole in the market though breh.

EDIT: now I get that they are not black

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
You don’t like that they made money from your hood.

But you want to make money from your hood?

Good on you for spotting a hole in the market though breh.

I'm Black though -- and have ties to that hood. Plus, my family lives, works and plays in that area. Theirs do not and they didn't employ many Black people even though they were in a Black area - that would not happen in my case.

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
I agree on small shops - but it needs to be 2-3 in an area - like how there is a family dollar or dollar tree every 10 miles now in our areas. They are all over our communities - but do not offer large food options and no produce or meat.
i mean like...

how Hamtramck is.. or dearborn

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
I'm talking about Saginaw and Flint. Both cities/counties - are different IMO than areas in and surrounding Detriot.
black people always

think we need a Kroger Miejer or some shyt

When we really just need a Randazzo veggie and fruit place.. that also sells meat. Our population isn't concentrated enough throughout the city to justify Walmart of some shyt building on the east or west side.

I mention Hamtramck because the yemenis lebonese, polish Bengali and whatever else.... just build markets to serve themselves. They don't have to complain when Large Stores shut down.