Has Anyone Successfully or Tried to Open a Grocery Store?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
black people always

think we need a Kroger Miejer or some shyt

When we really just need a Randazzo veggie and fruit place.. that also sells meat. Our population isn't concentrated enough throughout the city to justify Walmart of some shyt building on the east or west side.

I mention Hamtramck because the yemenis lebonese, polish Bengali and whatever else.... just build markets to serve themselves. They don't have to complain when Large Stores shut down.

I agree. That's cause that all we ever seen in our areas. I am going to look into that. So you are recommending just setting up a store and stocking it with all the things (meat, produce, etc) and not going the franchise route. Correct?

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
I agree. That's cause that all we ever seen in our areas. I am going to look into that. So you are recommending just setting up a store and stocking it with all the things (meat, produce, etc) and not going the franchise route. Correct?
Yeah,

The overhead on a real grocery store is hundreds of thousands and millions.. and it's not even needed in most areas.
You just need a building, large freezer area, point of sale systems, local distributors, and a way to get a few common store items - like condiments n stuff. etc

Daps
These zero waste shops seem like a good idea, and you know white people will drive the 20-30 minutes to shop there, so it could get business from the local and surrounding areas.

Daps
My cousin ended up owning a store like ten years back. A small lil bodega type spot in Brooklyn. I thought he was gonna get this money then I realize he ain't nothing but a middle man. A carton of cigarettes comes with ten packs. So he had to sell 9 packs to re-up on the cartoon and that tenth pack sold was his profit.
He sold the NY Daily News and NY Post, he only made 5 cents on every paper sold. NY lotto was like 5 cent for every dollar.
He made more money on food and side hustles. Selling liquor under the table and running numbers and shyt. He eventually gave it up because he no longer cared about the business. I guess living at a store from 8am to 10pm was talking a toll on him.

REZZ

Rookie
Daps
There's probably a good reason why that Kroger closed down. Profits in the grocery business are razor thin for every company. It takes a ton of hardworking hours from you and cheap laborers (aka family) to survive. There's a reason we almost always only see Koreans running family grocery stores in LA and NYC instead of black people.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
My cousin ended up owning a store like ten years back. A small lil bodega type spot in Brooklyn. I thought he was gonna get this money then I realize he ain't nothing but a middle man. A carton of cigarettes comes with ten packs. So he had to sell 9 packs to re-up on the cartoon and that tenth pack sold was his profit.
He sold the NY Daily News and NY Post, he only made 5 cents on every paper sold. NY lotto was like 5 cent for every dollar.
He made more money on food and side hustles. Selling liquor under the table and running numbers and shyt. He eventually gave it up because he no longer cared about the business. I guess living at a store from 8am to 10pm was talking a toll on him.
Same with my uncle, had a lil corner shop in Flatbush...He made alright bread but he hired people who were selling dope out the storefront.

NYPD raised it one day, they thought my uncle had something to do with it:francis:

Daps

Sounds like my dad. He started a small corner store in Atlanta a while back..eventually sold it. The crazy thing is that the place gentrified and now properties selling in the area are in the hundreds of thousands...

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Sounds like you talkn bout the Kroger that closed in Redford off Telegraph..

I'm from Saginaw. It was the main and only Kroger on the Eastside. Now, we only have Family Dollars and Dollar Tree's. They actually just opened a Family Tree right across the street from Family Dollar right next to where the Kroger was.:why:

We have one smaller Kroger in the township were my parents live - it's about 10-15 mins away from the Eastside Saginaw. But, it's terrible. Bad produce, no selection on healthy foods or sensitivities/allergies and pretty much ran by White trash.

But, all the Black people hate that Kroger and shopped at the Eastside Kroger -- not only to see everybody you know -- but it was larger and way better selections.

Then we have a very nice Meijer in Birch Run - it's 30 mins away though and all white folks - rarely see a Black face or employee.

hatealot

Banned
Daps
An associate of mines did the same in bronx, the margins are extremely thin. Plus my Dominican side of the family was involved with bodega and the cash is really is a grind. These Arabs who monopolize the stores now in NYC are running a whole system as a group and as a group are able to turn a overall profit al9ng with all the illegal ciggerates sales they stacking.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Yeah,

The overhead on a real grocery store is hundreds of thousands and millions.. and it's not even needed in most areas.
You just need a building, large freezer area, point of sale systems, local distributors, and a way to get a few common store items - like condiments n stuff. etc

Same with my uncle, had a lil corner shop in Flatbush...He made alright bread but he hired people who were selling dope out the storefront.

NYPD raised it one day, they thought my uncle had something to do with it:francis:

Sounds like my dad. He started a small corner store in Atlanta a while back..eventually sold it. The crazy thing is that the place gentrified and now properties selling in the area are in the hundreds of thousands...

I really appreciate the personal responses. They are all eye-opening and very real. I am leaning towards what @CreepyMcCreeperson and @Losttribe recommended. A small store with even a urban garden attached that sells basics, meat, produce and bakery - including allow those in the neighborhood/black vendors to sell desserts.

I don't want the store to offer Lottery or liquor.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
people who complain about food deserts normally dont think about what the grocery business is like.

The margins are the thinnest out of all the industries.
Its a tough game...and the reason why small corner stores have high ass prices...
...they cant afford the 1% to 2% profit margin the average grocery store is getting.

Think about that breh...2% means that for every $100 you sell, you make $2.
And then, in the hood youre dealing with theft issues and higher insurance premiums.

Its nice you want to supply people w/ fresh healthy food...but are they going to buy it?
Go to some family and friends houses and take a look at whats in the refrigerator.
Are they already eating healthy?

There is a reason you only see arabs/koreans running those stores.
They have family that will work those stores...and will deal w/ the headaches of selling in the hood.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
people who complain about food deserts normally dont think about what the grocery business is like.

The margins are the thinnest out of all the industries.
Its a tough game...and the reason why small corner stores have high ass prices...
...they cant afford the 1% to 2% profit margin the average grocery store is getting.

Think about that breh...2% means that for every $100 you sell, you make $2.
And then, in the hood youre dealing with theft issues and higher insurance premiums.

Its nice you want to supply people w/ fresh healthy food...but are they going to buy it?
Go to some family and friends houses and take a look at whats in the refrigerator.
Are they already eating healthy?

There is a reason you only see arabs/koreans running those stores.
They have family that will work those stores...and will deal w/ the headaches of selling in the hood.

I understand. But, what is the solution for those who are in those neighborhoods? I think a neighborhood market with the bulk dispenser type set up could work. Of course, surveying and working with the community to find out what things they need stocked at all times could work. Like a market customized to the neighborhood. The only thing I am worried about is I would want to run a cash-free store and all purchases would be with debt, credit and ....ebt?

Last edited:

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I understand. But, what is the solution for those who are in those neighborhoods? I think a neighborhood market with the bulk dispenser type set up could work. Of course, surveying and working with the community to find out what things they need stocked at all times could work. Like a market customized to the neighborhood. The only thing I am worried about is I would want to run a cash-free store and all purchases would be with debt, credit and ....ebt?
I think this is a good idea it just can't be your main source of income. It probably would be better if you got some a few people on board with you at the ownership level.