Have rent control brehs.....Londoners we're losing out here

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
I enjoyed where I made that argument.
"Affordable housing the way it's currently done is economically unsustainable in NYC"
Less apartments on the market = increased rents. Was agreeing with you. Regardless, hold that market rate L with the rest of the yuppies in BK :russ:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
"Affordable housing the way it's currently done is economically unsustainable in NYC"
Less apartments on the market = increased rents. Was agreeing with you. Regardless, hold that market rate L with the rest of the yuppies in BK :russ:

So your answer is what to hypothetically tax them on what their property could be worth?

More eminent domain?

:laff:

All taxpayers are currently loosing as the subsidies currently cost the state and city billions.

Here's your W, Kid

Last edited:

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
So your answer is what to hypothetically tax them on what their property could be worth?

More eminent domain?

:laff:

All taxpayers are currently loosing as the subsidies currently cost the state and city billions.

Here's your W, Kid
Doesn't have to be the city purchasing these properties. The city should, however, impose fines on landlords who are purposely ware housing despite the units being perfectly fine. HPD is actually starting to survey the city to collect a list of such properties so it's certainly possible.

Also, of course housing subsidies cost taxpayers millions. I don't really understand your point. Is the solution to end subsidies and make everyone pay market rate? In my view you have to clarify which taxpayers you are talking about because these subsidies play a big part in allowing many tenants to stay in nyc. It's much cheaper for the city to provide these subsides and be preventative instead of having to pay for them in the shelter system.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Doesn't have to be the city purchasing these properties. The city should, however, impose fines on landlords who are purposely ware housing despite the units being perfectly fine. HPD is actually starting to survey the city to collect a list of such properties so it's certainly possible.

Also, of course housing subsidies cost taxpayers millions. I don't really understand your point. Is the solution to end subsidies and make everyone pay market rate? In my view you have to clarify which taxpayers you are talking about because these subsidies play a big part in allowing many tenants to stay in nyc. It's much cheaper for the city to provide these subsides and be preventative instead of having to pay for them in the shelter system.

Oh so you don't believe in property rights. :rudy:

I highly doubt landlords are hoarding vacant apartment buildings. There are only negatives in it if you aren't breaking any laws.

The subsidies cost billions with a b and it's not worth it. The city and state last I knew didn't even have a way of keeping track of or enforcing the subsides.

I'm convinced it's not cost effective we're not getting enough in return for what we're giving. A hundred units here and there and a ton of lost tax revenue is all see.

Cluster housing needs to be shutdown, it's largely a scam, and it seems like DeBlasio is about to force the issue with eminent domain and I support him that in the case.

I understand what the subsidies do and why they're good but they're largely being carried on the back of the middle class.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Oh so you don't believe in property rights. :rudy:

I highly doubt landlords are hoarding vacant apartment buildings. There are only negatives in it if you aren't breaking any laws.

The subsidies cost billions with a b and it's not worth it. The city and state last I knew didn't even have a way of keeping track of or enforcing the subsides.

I'm convinced it's not cost effective we're not getting enough in return for what we're giving. A hundred units here and there and a ton of lost tax revenue is all see.

Cluster housing needs to be shutdown, it's largely a scam, and it seems like DeBlasio is about to force the issue with eminent domain and I support him that in the case.

I understand what the subsidies do and why they're good but they're largely being carried on the back of the middle class.

Misrepresented my point. There actually are a good amount of warehouse buildings especially in east harlem where rezoning just got the green light.

Also, yes housing subsidies do cost billions but that's what it takes to make the city affordable for many families. What is your alternative, take away the subsides and a have mass exodus of families form the city? I don't think you understand the ramifications of ending housing subsidies in NYC. These subsides help make nyc a possibility for many middle class and working class families.

Also, you clearly are not well versed in this topic because the state actually does keep track of apartments with subsidies (rent controlled and stabilized) and they have done so since the 80s..... :martin::snoop:. Also, your enforcement bit is equally puzzling because the state helps enforce subsidies for stabilized and controlled tenants (strong tenants rights)

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Misrepresented my point. There actually are a good amount of warehouse buildings especially in east harlem where rezoning just got the green light.

Also, yes housing subsidies do cost billions but that's what it takes to make the city affordable for many families. What is your alternative, take away the subsides and a have mass exodus of families form the city? I don't think you understand the ramifications of ending housing subsidies in NYC. These subsides help make nyc a possibility for many middle class and working class families.

Also, you clearly are not well versed in this topic because the state actually does keep track of apartments with subsidies (rent controlled and stabilized) and they have done so since the 80s..... :martin::snoop:. Also, your enforcement bit is equally puzzling because the state helps enforce subsidies for stabilized and controlled tenants (strong tenants rights)

If the zoning wasn't there what did you expect them to do with warehouses? You can't just build apartment buildings wherever you want. I guess East Harlem will get there apartments now right?

Build more units and denser housing, expand the income brackets to allow actual working people to get the subsides to live in the apartments. The income brackets are artificially low and geared toward the bottom. There's not a lot of justice in that.

I'm very well versed on the topic
This Is What New York’s ‘Voluntary Compliance’ For Landlords Looks Like — ProPublica

NYC Lawmakers Push For Audits of Landlords Who Pocket $1.4 Billion Tax Break — ProPublica

Thousands of NYC Landlords Who Ignored Rent Caps Got Tax Breaks They Didn’t Qualify For — ProPublica

De Blasio Says ‘Enough is Enough’: Landlords Getting Big Tax Break Must Cap Rent Hikes — ProPublica

Hell Pro Publica has a whole section on it

The Rent Racket — ProPublica

DeBlasio on cluster sites

Private landlords better sell their "cluster sites": mayor

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
If the zoning wasn't there what did you expect them to do with warehouses? You can't just build apartment buildings wherever you want. I guess East Harlem will get there apartments now right?

Build more units and denser housing, expand the income brackets to allow actual working people to get the subsides to live in the apartments. The income brackets are artificially low and geared toward the bottom. There's not a lot of justice in that.

I'm very well versed on the topic
This Is What New York’s ‘Voluntary Compliance’ For Landlords Looks Like — ProPublica

NYC Lawmakers Push For Audits of Landlords Who Pocket $1.4 Billion Tax Break — ProPublica

Thousands of NYC Landlords Who Ignored Rent Caps Got Tax Breaks They Didn’t Qualify For — ProPublica

De Blasio Says ‘Enough is Enough’: Landlords Getting Big Tax Break Must Cap Rent Hikes — ProPublica

Hell Pro Publica has a whole section on it

The Rent Racket — ProPublica

DeBlasio on cluster sites

Private landlords better sell their "cluster sites": mayor
You don't understand the process of deregulating a stabilized or controlled unit that's why you don't understand why warehousing is bad and detrimental to communities. You don't know the regulator involved either :yeshrug:

Also, of course landlord are going to try and game the system with subsidies like 421a etc but that's no reason to think ending all subsidies is a good idea. Right to counsel should help tenants dealing with that as well. In general, we do need to increase protections and regulations but the IDC is stopping that

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You don't understand the process of deregulating a stabilized or controlled unit that's why you don't understand why warehousing is bad and detrimental to communities. You don't know the regulator involved either :yeshrug:

Also, of course landlord are going to try and game the system with subsidies like 421a etc but that's no reason to think ending all subsidies is a good idea. Right to counsel should help tenants dealing with that as well. In general, we do need to increase protections and regulations but the IDC is stopping that

K

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Rising rents is some BS. :francis:

B b bu but its the market that dictate the value. We don't have that demand :sadbron:

Said by greedy landlords and fraud posters that defend the prevention of financial mobility.