Hearns and Sugar Ray almost go at it

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
There was one time I remember Ray going overboard talking about one of his opponents before a fight, and it was actually Tommy. It was during one of the Leonard-Hearns 1 pre-fight interviews. Tommy wasn't there, but I remember Ray saying Tommy was dumb. I think he said he was a one dimensional fighter as well. I think Ray learned from that fight, and he never talked bad about another pre-fight opponent again, at least none I can recall. It turned out Tommy wasn't dumb, and it was the first time we actually saw Tommy box, even out boxing Ray according to the scorecards, until he was stopped. So Tommy wasn't quite the one dimensional fighter we thought he was. I think Ray tried to mock Hearns the way Ali mocked Frazier, then found out that wasn't him.

Come to think of it, Mike called Tommy a one dimensional fighter in this very video. I'm not sure if it was before this horseplay took place or after. I see Mike be instigating shyt...lol

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
These guys clearly have alot of love for each other and were just fooling around. Am glad we got to see these legends unfiltered and not act all reserved as they would at normal talk shows. Gotta appreciate em while they still around. Rest in peace Marvin.
I played the video again, and it looked a little more like horseplay the second time viewing it. This was the same thing we use to do to each other. But I think this did go on a second or two too long. And we didn't have somebody like Mike instigating things quite that way. Then again, this could be a set up for a Leonard-Hearns 3. Like they both wasn't already past their prime in Leonard-Hearns two. Myself, I had enough watching Tyson-Jones fighting in their 50's.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
There's only one time I remember a heavyweight champion actually laying hands on his opponent outside the ring, and let the shyt talk get to him. It was when Riddikk Bowe stole Larry Donald at their weigh-in in 94'. I lost some respect for Bowe after that. But a former coworker of mine bumped into Bowe at Potomac Mills in Northern Virginia. He said he was able to walk up to Bowe, and talk to him like he was a normal brother. I had that same experience when I saw Michael Grant at Sam's Club. I was surprised he was so easy to talk to. It felt like I was actually talking to a buddy.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I use to think this too, until I actually studied the history

Ali compared all his opponents to animals, sonny liston was the big ugly bear for example

Fraiser was pissed at Ali for calling him the white man's boy or uncle tom, this is what pissed Fraizer off, and the entire black community turned on fraiser lmao
A bear is one thing but Gorilla, knowing the connotation, is fukked up. Combine that with callin that man an uncle Tom when YOU were the one who acted more like one is foul. And not just any man but the man who helped you out at your lowest but you turn around and kee kee it up all around cacs and shyt callin Frazier a big dumb uncle Tom black gorilla. Ali was 100% foul for what he did.

Dont blame Joe at all for not forgiving him.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
A bear is one thing but Gorilla, knowing the connotation, is fukked up. Combine that with callin that man an uncle Tom when YOU were the one who acted more like one is foul. And not just any man but the man who helped you out at your lowest but you turn around and kee kee it up all around cacs and shyt callin Frazier a big dumb uncle Tom black gorilla. Ali was 100% foul for what he did.

Dont blame Joe at all for not forgiving him.
I heard Frazier say that although he heard Ali say he was wrong, he never did say he was sorry. Btw, in post #32, I stand corrected when I said people very close to me accused me 10 or 15 years after the first fight of being brainwashed, when I told them one night that I felt Ali was wrong for calling Joe a gorilla. Come to think of it, although it was wrong, that was more acceptable during the 70's...just watch how many times Fred called Aunt Esther a gorilla.

Anyway, as I was saying, I wasn't really accused of being brainwashed that night for criticizing what Ali said, although I did mention what he said. I was really attacked for saying I went for Frazier in their first fight. Like I said earlier, Frazier was the first champion I vividly remember, and it was a time Ali was just being let back into boxing. I didn't remember or know about the Ali-Liston fights, and what Ali sacrificed. Coming from the eyes of a child, all I saw was a man with a big mouth talking over the quieter champion, who again was my first boxing hero Joe Frazier, who was no where near an uncle tom...believe me when I say this. More White people voting for Frazier over Ali does in no way make Frazier an uncle tom. You'd have to have issues to even think like that. Although I was the one who was practically called a tom that night for saying I went for Frazier, which was a total shock because we were all in the same age group, I could always tell by this first fight who was really fake or brainwashed, based on how they respond to me when I say I went for Frazier. I know I was only in elementary school and all when they first fought, but I clearly remember nobody was being called a tom for going for Frazier. Like I said, he was far from that. All you have to do is read how he grew up, something I did back when he was champion. Plus you could tell he was no tom just by watching him. He never changed til the day he died.

What happened was, Frazier was upset by Foreman two years after he beat Ali in that first fight, and he lost his glory, especially when he was knocked down six times in that fight, and stopped...which turned into a joke over the years. Then there was Ali-Frazier II, where Ali got the decision, but that wasn't a championship fight. Foreman was the champion because he beat Frazier. Many people til this day, still think Ali-Frazier II came before Frazier's blow-out lost to Foreman, but it came after. So by the time Ali-Frazier III came around, Frazier was pretty much washed up. Plus this fight came after Ali beat Foreman and became the heavyweight champion again (The Rumble in the Jungle). So by now, Ali was the heavyweight champion, and he could pretty much say what he wanted to about the twice beaten Frazier, and many people went along with it. And this fight was deemed "The Thriller in Manila with the Gorilla", not "The Thriller in Manila", lets call it for what it really was. But how Frazier later became the White mans champion by people in my age group who should have known better, was pretty disturbing. And for me to point all this out, never losing respect for Smokin Joe, then getting accused of being brainwashed into going for Joe in that first fight because I went to a mostly White school back then, even though I still lived in the hood, I found even more disturbing. Tbh, I went for Joe in the second fight two. By the time the third fight came around, I really didn't want to see them fight. Sometimes, I think I was the only one on the planet that didn't really want to see a third fight. As far as I was concerned, two of my favorite champions broke even...leave it at that.

PS. Later on when I finally got some of these brothers to remember Frazier had already lost badly to Foreman before Ali-Frazier II, and III, it made them have a seat, and think they actually may have been the ones brainwashed, and jumped on the bandwagon with everybody else, as far as Frazier being the White mans' champion. In fact some of them got offended. Personally, I use to get turned off when brothers would act like Frazier's defeat to Ali in "The Thrilla in Manila" was some kind of blow to White supremacy :unimpressed:. And til this day, a lot of our people still tend to be lost...smh.

Last edited: