Here's why your origin story matters as a rapper

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Origin story only matter to young kids because most of these new rappers haven't really lived interesting lives. Most of them either came from sheltered upbringings (nothing wrong with that just saying) or the one's that do have street backgrounds are trying their damndest not to come off as 'hood' lest they should find themselves being marginalized as street rappers.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
This is exactly why you idiots that say hip-hop is entertainment just like the movies are dead wrong. Hip hop is based on "keeping it real". Hip-hop is based on authenticity. We don't care about the origins and upbringings of Arnold, Bruce Willis, DeNiro and Denzel when we see them on film. We KNOW its fantasy. Its promoted as fantasy. Hip-hop is not.

BronxFleeZ

We here man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gun Hill Forreal
I know I'm dope. I make Cole/big Sean type music but grew up in Bronx. Tell nothing but truth and still add the skills to the music. Dudes nowadays assume they have to be trappers to gain a fan base. They not wrong but it's only so long until someone starts to not feel this wave anymore. I promise. Music with content and positive influences will always win no matter what.

I always think about the audience when making music. Not for them to like me, but for them to see that rap is a open factor for everything & that dope shyt CAN be made from a REAL REGULAR PERSON.

"Never sold a rock, but I can sell you my cracks in life"

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
This is exactly why you idiots that say hip-hop is entertainment just like the movies are dead wrong. Hip hop is based on "keeping it real". Hip-hop is based on authenticity. We don't care about the origins and upbringings of Arnold, Bruce Willis, DeNiro and Denzel when we see them on film. We KNOW its fantasy. Its promoted as fantasy. Hip-hop is not.
You right

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I know I'm dope. I make Cole/big Sean type music but grew up in Bronx. Tell nothing but truth and still add the skills to the music. Dudes nowadays assume they have to be trappers to gain a fan base. They not wrong but it's only so long until someone starts to not feel this wave anymore. I promise. Music with content and positive influences will always win no matter what.

I always think about the audience when making music. Not for them to like me, but for them to see that rap is a open factor for everything & that dope shyt CAN be made from a REAL REGULAR PERSON.

"Never sold a rock, but I can sell you my cracks in life"
I ain't feeling that bar but post your shyt breh

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

we gonna act like DOOM doesn't have the GOAT origin story

In 1993, just before the release of the second KMD album, Black b*stards,[1] Subroc was struck by a car and killed while attempting to cross the Nassau Expressway. The group was subsequently dropped from Elektra Records that same week. Before the release, the album was shelved due to its controversial cover art,[3] which featured a cartoon of a stereotypical pickaninny or sambo character being hanged from the gallows. After the death of his brother, Dumile retreated from the hip hop scene from 1994 to 1997, living "damn near homeless, walking the streets of Manhattan, sleeping on benches".[1][4] In the late 1990s, he left New York City and settled in Atlanta. According to interviews with Dumile, he was also "recovering from his wounds" and swearing revenge "against the industry that so badly deformed him".[1] Black b*stards had become bootlegged at the time, leading to Doom's rise in the underground hip hop scene.

In 1997, Dumile began freestyling incognito at open-mic events at the Nuyorican Poets Café in Manhattan, obscuring his face by putting a woman's stocking over his head. He meanwhile had taken on a new identity, MF Doom, patterned after and wearing a mask similar to that of Marvel Comics super-villain Doctor Doom, who is depicted rapping on the cover of the 1999 album Operation: Doomsday, which in an earlier incarnation would have been called The Super M.F. Villains according to a relatively obscure interview published in 1998 by hip-hop music culture magazine Ego Trip.[5] The mask is based on a prop mask obtained from the film Gladiator.[6] He wore this mask while performing and isn't photographed without it, except for very short glimpses in videos such as Viktor Vaughn's "Mr. Clean", "?", and in earlier photos with KMD.

:mjcry::wow:

that shyt cray...i didn't know that about him.

:yeshrug: got me curious to hear his music, tbh