Here's why your origin story matters as a rapper

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Would make more sense 2 years ago. Nowadays the new class coming in is the opposite. That backpacker, good dude in a crazy world, sentiment is pretty much gone. Most of the new cats comin in are future/drake/thug hybrids who claim they used to trap.

:what: Chance just won a Grammy.

the biggest rapper new rapper of 2016 was either Desiigner or Lil Yachty, who don't base their music around how they used to trap at all.

Here's the xxl freshmen 2016 list: 2016 XXL Freshman Class

Only 21 and Kodak fall in that 'used to trap' category.

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
Just wondering. What makes you buy one over the other?

I know you said you only care about the music but all the albums you buy can't be great/classics in quality

It's not even hip hop I'm not a fan of concerts in general.With an album I can just throw on my headphones and zone out. Also i don't expect everything to be a classic or great. Actually classic is something imo that gets said way too much in hip hop.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
we gonna act like DOOM doesn't have the GOAT origin story

In 1993, just before the release of the second KMD album, Black b*stards,[1] Subroc was struck by a car and killed while attempting to cross the Nassau Expressway. The group was subsequently dropped from Elektra Records that same week. Before the release, the album was shelved due to its controversial cover art,[3] which featured a cartoon of a stereotypical pickaninny or sambo character being hanged from the gallows. After the death of his brother, Dumile retreated from the hip hop scene from 1994 to 1997, living "damn near homeless, walking the streets of Manhattan, sleeping on benches".[1][4] In the late 1990s, he left New York City and settled in Atlanta. According to interviews with Dumile, he was also "recovering from his wounds" and swearing revenge "against the industry that so badly deformed him".[1] Black b*stards had become bootlegged at the time, leading to Doom's rise in the underground hip hop scene.

In 1997, Dumile began freestyling incognito at open-mic events at the Nuyorican Poets Café in Manhattan, obscuring his face by putting a woman's stocking over his head. He meanwhile had taken on a new identity, MF Doom, patterned after and wearing a mask similar to that of Marvel Comics super-villain Doctor Doom, who is depicted rapping on the cover of the 1999 album Operation: Doomsday, which in an earlier incarnation would have been called The Super M.F. Villains according to a relatively obscure interview published in 1998 by hip-hop music culture magazine Ego Trip.[5] The mask is based on a prop mask obtained from the film Gladiator.[6] He wore this mask while performing and isn't photographed without it, except for very short glimpses in videos such as Viktor Vaughn's "Mr. Clean", "?", and in earlier photos with KMD.

:mjcry::wow:

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps
:what: Chance just won a Grammy.

the biggest rapper new rapper of 2016 was either Desiigner or Lil Yachty, who don't base their music around how they used to trap at all.

Here's the xxl freshmen 2016 list: 2016 XXL Freshman Class

Only 21 and Kodak fall in that 'used to trap' category.

Chance aint the new generation IMO. Chance been out for years. 3 Mixtape (Albums) deep. These new nikkas without a debut or sophomore are who I'm talking about. Idgaf if chance won. There are very few wale's, cole's, or big seans on that L freshmen list, and the current 2017 list is much more current.

You are too literal. It doesn't have to be trapping. It is about growing up (orgin) of the streets and in poverty background. Could be violence, dealing, gang shyt, coming from a bad place.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique

In 1993, just before the release of the second KMD album, Black b*stards,[1] Subroc was struck by a car and killed while attempting to cross the Nassau Expressway. The group was subsequently dropped from Elektra Records that same week. Before the release, the album was shelved due to its controversial cover art,[3] which featured a cartoon of a stereotypical pickaninny or sambo character being hanged from the gallows. After the death of his brother, Dumile retreated from the hip hop scene from 1994 to 1997, living "damn near homeless, walking the streets of Manhattan, sleeping on benches".[1][4] In the late 1990s, he left New York City and settled in Atlanta. According to interviews with Dumile, he was also "recovering from his wounds" and swearing revenge "against the industry that so badly deformed him".[1] Black b*stards had become bootlegged at the time, leading to Doom's rise in the underground hip hop scene.

In 1997, Dumile began freestyling incognito at open-mic events at the Nuyorican Poets Café in Manhattan, obscuring his face by putting a woman's stocking over his head. He meanwhile had taken on a new identity, MF Doom, patterned after and wearing a mask similar to that of Marvel Comics super-villain Doctor Doom, who is depicted rapping on the cover of the 1999 album Operation: Doomsday, which in an earlier incarnation would have been called The Super M.F. Villains according to a relatively obscure interview published in 1998 by hip-hop music culture magazine Ego Trip.[5] The mask is based on a prop mask obtained from the film Gladiator.[6] He wore this mask while performing and isn't photographed without it, except for very short glimpses in videos such as Viktor Vaughn's "Mr. Clean", "?", and in earlier photos with KMD.

Thats part of dooms appeal tho

He put the mask on cause he felt rap became more about the "what" aka the end result/money/fame versus making music you enjoyed being part of the culture.

Rza/wu also fell into this and lots of people feel their art is purer than the average group. They made music for the culture, pushing the boundaries forward after being part of hip hop since its inception.

But now we got guys who are just hustlers looking for the end result and they just copy whats hot instead of innovating like a doom or wu or even nwa/dre etc.

99 percent of todays hip hop correlates with this list and shows WHY noone feels them like we all used to feel hip hop back in the day.

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area

MF Grimm also..Their origin stories are like superheroes from comic books

Run Up

All Star
Daps
they do. Prolly moreso than the music.

Millenials have an attention span of 7 seconds. And hip-hop specifically, Officer Ricky and Soft Ass Drake would have never blown up if people cared about their BG. Same for a bunch of these suburban trap-rappers :yeshrug:

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
Millenials have an attention span of 7 seconds. And hip-hop specifically, Officer Ricky and Soft Ass Drake would have never blown up if people cared about their BG. Same for a bunch of these suburban trap-rappers :yeshrug:

you clearly dont know what ur talking about breh

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
rappers are like superheros too thats why the origin is necessary as well.

it's not just them being superheroes, though that's part of it. It's because hip hop is nostalgic by its very nature. Taking music from the past (sampling) to understand your past/struggles and hopefully build a better future.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Nah as much as I enjoy hip hop I think it sounds like shyt live.

Of course I buy albums come on breh
For hip hop only artists worth seeing live are ones that perform inside some venue. The venue has to be small enough where theirs no tvs showing the performer perform. So really has to be a stage and most people standing. Although Rock the bells is outside but relatively small enough where it wont sound like shyt.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
i think this makes sense, because for the artists i fukk with and champion the most, i tend to dig the person and respect, or relate how they move or what they are all about.

two of my top personal favorite MCs are curren$y and aesop rock, while neither are household names or massive superstars, but have personalities and orign stories i find to be dope, and relatable, and i like following their careers in general, besides just hearing new music whenever they drop.

i think definitely as an aspiring rapper, you want to figure out your own origin story, or figure out what story/background you want to promote with yourself, once you really have a good hold on that (and hopefully its not complete :duck:) your music will only help to reinforce it, and hopefully draw people in. once they are intrigued and interested in the music, learning about the origin story or personality of the rapper might be what keeps them on your team for life.

good, useful post, OP :myman: