High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
"Watey-wateymelon"

An older man man named Pops used to sell watermelon out the back of truck and he used to sing it like that

We grew up in northeast city but from what I know now Pops was either from AL, GA, or SC

20170323_120241-L.jpg

FAMU's Homecoming Exposes Black History Lesson

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Since we’re on the topic of foodways in here’s one that gets overlooked...

Clay

Clay Craving and Dirt Dining: Eating Earth May Be Good for Us

SOUTHERN PRACTICE OF EATING DIRT SHOWS SIGNS OF WANING

I grew up hearing all about this from my folks.

Just seen a picture of someone on Facebook eating corn starch and made me think of this.
:lolbron:

Yall know anyone personally still doing this?
A few years ago, media outlets ran a story about some people in Haiti eating pies made primarily of mud. I'd never heard of that before reading the story, but I think that's more a function of what parts of the country my parents are from . I also think that it might have been an old rural custom or survival tool that they would have been ashamed to talk about if they ever did hear about it. Until relatively recently, the soil in Haiti was fertile, even with all the deforestation...so that even the very poor could grow subsistence crops.

The clip and the story have resurfaced a bunch of times.

In Johnny Cochran's autobio, he talked about his mom occasionally doing this in rural Louisiana. I think he said that when he went off to college, he realized his parents weren't exactly wrong in their intentions for doing it.

*My aunt used to eat Argo corn starch too. I always looked at her like she was crazy.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
A few years ago, media outlets ran a story about some people in Haiti eating pies made primarily of mud. I'd never heard of that before reading the story, but I think that's more a function of what parts of the country my parents are from . I also think that it might have been an old rural custom or survival tool that they would have been ashamed to talk about if they ever did hear about it. Until relatively recently, the soil in Haiti was fertile, even with all the deforestation...so that even the very poor could grow subsistence crops.

The clip and the story have resurfaced a bunch of times.

In Johnny Cochran's autobio, he talked about his mom occasionally doing this in rural Louisiana. I think he said that when he went off to college, he realized his parents weren't exactly wrong in their intentions for doing it.

*My aunt used to eat Argo corn starch too. I always looked at her like she was crazy.
Yeah I remember reading about the mud pies in Haiti recently, it was tied to recent agricultural issues but I wouldn’t doubt there’s historical relevance too. I know at least in the US there’s stories of slaves having masks put on them to prevent them from eating clay/dirt.

It’s funny because the dirt stories never freaked me out, I always thought it was interesting, but women eating corn starch always grossed me out lol

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeah I remember reading about the mud pies in Haiti recently, it was tied to recent agricultural issues but I wouldn’t doubt there’s historical relevance too. I know at least in the US there’s stories of slaves having masks put on them to prevent them from eating clay/dirt.

It’s funny because the dirt stories never freaked me out, I always thought it was interesting, but women eating corn starch always grossed me out lol
"God made dirt, dirt won't hurt.....put it in your mouth and let it work."

We said this as kids when we dropped food on the floor and didn't want to throw it away.

I guess today, people use the "3 second rule"

=======
I am certain that there is a history of the mud pies and people eating dirt in Haiti, from way before the economy collapsed. Gonna dig (no pun) and find out more about it.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
wow

REST IN PEACE
Yeah man. She was a true ambassador for the city.

Cool side story.....

I know her grandson fairly well..... when I got married we had our wedding dinner at Dookie Chase. Apparently it’s not something they normally do, so that made it extra special. She made everybody feel at home. It was an awesome experience.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeah man. She was a true ambassador for the city.

Cool side story.....

I know her grandson fairly well..... when I got married we had our wedding dinner at Dookie Chase. Apparently it’s not something they normally do, so that made it extra special. She made everybody feel at home. It was an awesome experience.
That's a great story.

If im_sleep didn't make the post here about her passing , I wouldn't have known. It should have been a national story because she was as closely associated with New Orleans, to outsiders, as any other living person. I need to follow better news media platforms.

It was great reading about how the community helped them rebuild after Katrina. Was also great to see the recent footage of her healthy, vibrant and still doing what she loved.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
That's a great story.

If im_sleep didn't make the post here about her passing , I wouldn't have known. It should have been a national story because she was as closely associated with New Orleans, to outsiders, as any other living person. I need to follow better news media platforms.

It was great reading about how the community helped them rebuild after Katrina. Was also great to see the recent footage of her healthy, vibrant and still doing what she loved.
Man the only reason I found out was because I follow a lot of folks in the Black culinary world on Instagram, first few posts that popped up on my feed is how I got the news. I didn’t see shyt on any news media platforms.

I ain’t been on social media much since earlier today so maybe the news has caught up by now.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
That's a great story.

I was coming here to post something about it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I was coming here to post something about it.
I was just venting about media not giving the story the proper coverage. That's your city, so I knew you would have spoken about it here after you heard about her passing.

I just re read your post about having post-wedding dinner at Dooky Chase. Your wife's family must have thought that you were super connected after that.
I bet that if you and her have an argument, her parents make HER apologize to YOU. hehehe

===============================================
Here's a clip from 2017, when Roland Martin visited Mrs Chase. and, at 5:05, she is STILL screaming on people about gumbo.