High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

====================
Soul Food House brings Southern cuisine to Tokyo
Lunch sets at Soul Food House in Tokyo comes with a main dish (chicken and waffles, in this case), a salad and soup. Add macaroni and cheese for a little extra yen.

THERON GODBOLD/STARS AND STRIPES

By THERON GODBOLD | Stars and Stripes | Published: February 20, 2020

Embedded in episode six of the Netflix show “Ugly Delicious,” hosted by award-winning chef David Chang, is a short segment on fried chicken at Soul Food House, a restaurant in the Azabujuban neighborhood of central Tokyo.

My tastebuds perked up. Is there actually good Southern-style food in this city?

After watching Chang speak with the owners of Soul Food House, I decided on a visit to the restaurant to find out for myself.

Founded in 2015 by Atlanta natives David and LaTonya Whitaker, Soul Food House is a family-owned restaurant born “out of a desire to bring authentic American Southern and Cajun cuisine to the hearts and stomachs of those that live and visit Japan,” according to its website.

About a 15- to 20-minute stroll from Hardy Barracks or the U.S. military’s New Sanno Hotel, this small eatery was hard to find at first. I passed the small sign about three times while Google Maps insisted I’d arrived. Down a narrow, covered entryway, I finally found the elevator to this sixth-floor dining experience.

Fried catfish with creamy tartar sauce and Southern sweet tea can be found at Soul Food House in the Azabujuban section of central Tokyo.
THERON GODBOLD/STARS AND STRIPES

Living in Tokyo for more than a year now, my expectations for Southern cuisine are rather low, but I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and quality served at Soul Food House.

My order of chicken and waffles, a Coke and a side of mac and cheese came to just over $20.

When my food arrived, I was surprised by the small Caesar salad and a small bowl of French onion soup that came with the meal. The waffle — large and fluffy with a light dusting of powdered sugar — filled the plate. The mac and cheese arrived piping hot, fresh out of the oven, with a crusted layer of sharp cheddar on top. Just the right amount of pepper spiced up the dish. Everything was good, but the mac and cheese was really great, reminding me of a family meal at my grandmother’s when I was a child.

With food this good and a few inches of space left in my stomach, I figured I would try something else. Not really in the mood for dessert, I opted for a fried fillet of catfish and sweet tea.

A few years ago, I was living in a small town in Texas. My friend Rusty took me noodling (a form of fishing for catfish where you let them nibble on your hand and then pull the whole fish to the surface) for the first time and we pulled an 84-pound catfish from a local lake. We took it to his place and fried it up for dinner. That was one of the best fried catfish experiences of my life. Until I tried the catfish at Soul Food House. It was perfectly crusted, not too crispy and had the perfect amount of spice.

A Soul Food House regular told me I was smart for coming during lunch because the crowd gets big for dinner and reservations are a must.

“It’s a taste of home, and once you meet the owners, you’re family,” the Dallas native said.

image.jpg

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Great presentation and interview from Dr. Howard Conyers regarding the history of BBQ, African American foodways, and the African contribution to the South, particularly the connections between South Carolina and Louisiana.

Video is about an hour and a half long but well worth it.

He also recommends this book in the video.
51PlAX9UEeL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I got it on kindle last night and read a third of it, it’s definitely worth the purchase.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great presentation and interview from Dr. Howard Conyers regarding the history of BBQ, African American foodways, and the African contribution to the South, particularly the connections between South Carolina and Louisiana.

Video is about an hour and a half long but well worth it.

He also recommends this book in the video.
51PlAX9UEeL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I got it on kindle last night and read a third of it, it’s definitely worth the purchase.

Great video. Dr. Conyers is renaissance man, he's one of the country's leading food historians as a side hobby. I like what he said about taking the engineering approach to his documenting of history , having the facts and research to support the oral history.

Everything produced by the people involved in the Whitney Plantation is detailed and informative. Thanks for the heads up about the book.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

================================
Deep Roots Across the Atlantic: Rice and Race in Africa and the Americas
Posted on February 21, 2011by contributed by: Edda L. Fields-Black

Carnegie Mellon University historian Edda L. Fields Black’s 2008 book, Deep Roots: Rice Farmers in West Africa and the African Diaspora, opened a vast new area of diasporic study by linking the cultivation of rice in Africa to the rise of this crucially important food crop in Colonial South Carolina. What follows is a description of her work and the personal journey that led to that scholarly project.

I grew up in Miami, Florida immersed in Caribbean and Latin American culture with two Gullah-speaking paternal grandparents. My father’s nuclear family had moved to Miami from Green Pond, South Carolina when he was in elementary school. As a child, I remember being aware of the difference between my grandparents’ accents and the West Indian accents that were so familiar to me in southern Florida. Their speech was akin to West Indian immigrants, of which my mother’s family in particular and Miami in general had many.

When I was in grade school, our family began taking my grandmother to Green Pond every summer to visit our relations who still lived in Green Pond, Whitehall, and Over Swamp. My mother’s historical and genealogical research about my father’s family in preparation for and during our family summer vacations was my first inkling of Gullah as both a rich language and culture with its own peculiar history. It also ignited a thirst in me which could not be quenched in a summer vacation. More than anything, I wanted to speak Gullah, a language which my father understood but did not speak (at least not to my knowledge), and therefore could not pass down to me. As the first generation to be born and raised outside of the Low country, I did not want to be the link which broke the chain of transmission.

In hindsight, I chose to study rice farmers and to travel to West Africa’s Rice Coast region, so that I could live and work as my paternal great-grandparents had lived on plantations in Beaufort and Colleton counties, South Carolina. By the time that I began traveling to Sierra Leone and Guinea, learning to speak Krio and to plant rice, my great-grandmother suffered from dementia. She spent most of her days in a rocking chair at her daughter, my great aunt’s, home in Miami. Sometimes, she bent over reached towards the ground with her hands, held her fingers together, and pushed them towards the ground. After spending the rainy season planting rice with women’s associations bending over in the swamps and pushing rice seedlings into the moist earth, I surmised that she was pantomiming actions that were part of her daily life as a younger woman. She was planting rice.

My desire to speak my paternal language propelled me to travel first to Sierra Leone in 1992 as an undergraduate where I set out to learn Krio in order to communicate with my great-grandmother in her own language—or at least as close to it as I could come. In 1996, as I conducted pre-dissertation research in Sierra Leone and the Republic of Guinea, the war engulfed much of the southern rice-growing regions, as well as the capital city of Freetown. I was forced to evacuate—almost literally—to the Guinea, where Deep Roots was born.

Deep Roots: Rice Farmers in West Africa and the African Diaspora is set in the coastal Rio Nunez region of Guinea, which is inhabited by the Baga and the Nalu ethnic groups. Several of the Baga languages are closely related to the Temne language spoken in Sierra Leone. For hundreds of years, the Rio Nunez region has been a major rice-producing region. The Baga in particular gained the reputation among Portuguese traders who were the first Europeans to visit this area of West Africa as “quintessential rice farmers”. The “West African Rice Coast” refers to the West African region that spans from the lower Casamance River in present-day Senegal to present-day Sierra Leone.

The Rio Nunez region holds special significance to the South Carolina and Georgia Lowcountry. In 1793-4, a slave trader by the name of Samuel Gamble quite literally got “stuck in the mud” in this region of coastal Guinea for several months. Gamble was the first European to visit coastal villages, record a detailed description of the tidal rice-growing technologies used by the inhabitants, and to even make a sketch of a rice field. After analyzing the sketch, geographer Judith Carney and botanist Richard Porcher have concluded that it is almost identical to tidewater rice-growing techniques used on South Carolina rice plantations at approximately the same time period.

Gamble’s account frames the three main questions underlying the book: First, how do historians reconstruct pre-colonial African history without written sources or oral traditions? Second, just how ancient is rice production, particularly tidal rice production in one important corner, the Rio Nunez region, of the West African Rice Coast region? Third, how did the regions’ inhabitants develop their rice cultivation techniques, their indigenous knowledge system? This question is important for periods of the entire continent’s history, which pre-date written sources as well for the African Diaspora in which people of African descent have left relatively few documents written in our own hands.

These questions are critical to establishing a connection between West Africa and the South Carolina and Georgia Lowcountry. Scholars, such as Judith Carney, Daniel Littlefield, and Peter Wood—though there are still a few who remain unconvinced—agree that aspects of the rice-growing techniques practiced on South Carolina and Georgia rice plantations were influenced by West Africa. As scholars, we cannot continue to claim that they are “African” without providing evidence of how, when, and by whom they developed in West Africa.

Providing this evidence was easier said than done. For good reason, Samuel Gamble recorded the first written description of rice farming for coastal Guinea. The Rio Nunez region was an isolated, unhealthy, unfriendly (to outsiders), and infrequently traveled section of the coast. In addition, the kinds of written sources on which historians usually rely were simply non-existent for the region. The paucity of traditional historical sources inspired, i.e. drove, me to take an innovative approach.

Deep Roots
utilizes the comparative method of historical linguistics to reveal the antiquity of coastal dwellers’ land use systems and agricultural technology. The comparative method of historical linguistics has been used by historians of South, East, and Central Africa to reconstruct the history of Bantu speech communities. It enables a historian to analyze words and their morphology and regular sound correspondences as historical sources.

I collected thousands of words related to rice cultivation and the coastal environment through participant observation and fieldwork—and I mean this literally—working alongside farmers in the Rio Nunez region under either blazing sun or blinding rain, standing in stagnant water sometimes up to my knees with my lower back bent at a most unnatural angle, and removing blood sucking leeches from my and my fellow female farmers’ legs as the conditions necessitated. I will not and cannot begin to describe the mosquitoes! This is the first study to employ the comparative method to Atlantic languages in coastal West Africa. Deep Roots also incorporates biological and botanical studies on mangrove ecosystems and coastal land-use change whose employ is unique to the historical linguistics literature.

The combination of these two independent streams of evidence makes a unique contribution to an innovative body of historical research. The interdisciplinary sources revealed that the development of a coastal land-use system is much more ancient than rice cultivation, the first stage dating back to c.3000 to 2000 BCE. In the Rio Nunez region, agricultural innovations, which constitute what I call the “coastal rice knowledge system,” were the result of collaboration between two language groups and date back to c. 500 to 1000 CE. Extending the coastal rice knowledge system into zones of red mangroves required iron-edged tools to uproot and clear the tangled and twisted aerial roots of red mangrove trees, which Rio Nunez region inhabitants acquired from their neighbors in the savanna-woodland region c. 1500 CE. In summary, in the Rio Nunez region, tidal rice farming is not only indigenous, but it was developed by the earliest settlers who have inhabited the coast for thousands of years.

Lastly, the book ends on the opposite of the Atlantic, in coastal South Carolina and Georgia which so much resembled the rice fields described by Samuel Gamble. It analyzes the sale of rice which was used as provisions on slaving vessels and of captives both from West Africa’s Rice Coast region. Using the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade database, which compiles the documentation for some 37,000 slaving voyages, Deep Roots argues that the West African Rice Coast region, of which coastal Guinea is an important part, was the single region of origin for the majority of captives who disembarked in South Carolina and Georgia during the evolution of the colonies’ commercial rice industries.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Book covers images from Africa, Caribbean, and the United States. I selected this article to post here because the ten postcards she discusses are from America.

51q29468ZsL._SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Arts & Culture

Greetings from Yesteryear
As a culinary historian, Jessica B. Harris has traveled the world researching the African diaspora that informs her writing and cookbooks. Along the way, she’s become a deltiologist—a postcard collector—scouring flea markets, bookstores, and auctions, particularly for ones that illuminate the everyday lives of the people affected by that forced dispersion, from Africa to the Caribbean to the South. In her new coffee-table book, Vintage Postcards from the African World: In the Dignity of Their Work and the Joy of Their Play (University Press of Mississippi), Harris shares more than 150 of those images. “Many of these people had newly emerged from enslavement,” she says. “Dignity was important to them, and it’s important to see that.” Here, Harris reveals what drew her to ten of the postcards.

Slide1_PollyinthePeanutPatch-724x1100.jpg

1 of 10

Polly in a Peanut Patch

“I like her smile; her clothing, certainly, is interesting; and the fact that it’s peanuts, a legume that is a part of the African culinary repertoire, even though it’s native to the New World,” Harris says. “There’s a whole lot that’s wrapped up in there. Plus, I’d never seen peanuts mounded up like that.” (Postcards can be hard to date, Harris explains, because you may buy one years, even decades, before you send it, though some do hold clues. This one was mailed in 1905.)

-----------------------------

Slide2_BoggingforTerrapin-1100x697.jpg

2 of 10

Bogging for Terrapin

The back of this postcard, mailed in 1911, says this scene took place at A. M. Barbee & Sons Terrapin Farm on the Isle of Hope in Savannah, Georgia. “We don’t eat terrapin anymore,” Harris says, “but it was popular at the time for dishes like terrapin stew, turtle soup made with terrapin. The other thing: Look at these gentlemen. They own ties and hats and suspenders. It’s sort of surprisingly formal. Photography at this point wasn’t point and click, so some of it may have been posed.”

---------------------------------------------------------

Slide3_DrawingtheSeine-1100x720.jpg

3 of 10

Drawing the Seine at Ile of Palms, near Charleston, S. C.

This scene depicts the ancient practice of catching fish with a seine net, a cast net featuring both weights and floats. “The fishermen seem to be black,” Harris says, “and the others, although it’s not easy to see or determine, seem to be white and looking on. You can see the catch they’ve gathered there on the beach.”

----------------------------------------

Slide4_OrangeGroves-1100x706.jpg

4 of 10

Among the Orange Groves in Florida

“There are a series of cards with African Americans and oranges and grapefruits, and in some cases the fruit is oversized for effect,” Harris says. “But here, the young man looks natural, and the fruit, while a little exaggerated, does too.”

--------------------------------------------------------

Slide5_FrenchMarket-1-1100x653.jpg

5 of 10

French Market, New Orleans, LA.

“I have a whole collection of just New Orleans cards,” says Harris, who owns a home in the city. “When I first went to New Orleans, there were wonderful used bookstores, and they always had a file box or two of postcards. I’d riffle through to see what I came up with. This card is particularly interesting because you can see the Mint in the background, which is still there.” Today, the Old U.S. Mint houses the New Orleans Jazz Museum.

-----------------------------------------

Slide6_ShrimpPeddler-1100x705.jpg

6 of 10

Shrimp Peddler, Charleston, South Carolina

The cat would definitely be following the shrimp peddler,” Harris says of the creature in the foreground. “This was likely someone selling the shrimp already cooked, I would think—that chest could be for ice.”

----------------------------------------------

Slide7_VeggieVendors-740x1100.jpg

7 of 10

Female Vegetable Vendors – An every morning scene on the Streets of Charleston, S. C.

I like these women because they’re so sassy. She’s almost daring the photographer: Yeah, you take this picture.

--------------------------------------------

Slide8_NuWrayInn-1100x724.jpg

8 of 10

The Nu-Wray Inn, Burnsville, North Carolina

The back of this postcard describes this man as Will, “(The colored chef), bringing hickory-smoked hams from the century old smoke house. Hundreds of hams are cured each year by this old fashioned method and served daily in the Nu-Wray dining room.” Says Harris, “This was obviously a promotional card done by the Nu-Wray to promote their chef, and equally their smokehouse, and the kinds of things they would be serving. But also notice that the chef doesn’t have a last name, he’s just Will, the colored chef.” Built circa 1833, the Nu Wray Inn still operates today.

-------------------------------------------------

Slide9_DinnerToter-734x1100.jpg

9 of 10

Southern Dinner Toter, Macon, GA.

This postcard and the one in the next slide were Harris’s two most recent purchases when writing the book. They both, she writes, “highlight a question that I, and indeed most who look at the cards have. What is the thing that the card is trying to explain or express?” Taken by the charm of the studio portrait and the “adorable serious-faced young boy with a basket over his arm and what appears to be a dinner pail in another,” Harris couldn’t help but wonder: Who was “Mr. F. Patton”? Was the little boy toting dinner for a parent? For work?

--------------------------------------------------------

Slide10_SlaveBlock-724x1100.jpg

10 of 10

The Old Slave Block in the old St. Louis Hotel, New Orleans, La.

“The second card is more explicit,” Harris writes in the book. After the location, the card gives this information: The colored woman standing on the block was sold for $1,500.00 on this same block when a little girl. “The context is breathtakingly clear….That is what was missing from most of the other cards in my collection. Lacking the small print, it was impossible to do more than guess at the meaning of the cards: to enter into a dialogue with the cards.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
After 50 years, ‘Vibration Cooking’ still resonates
by Cassie Owens, Posted: June 18, 2020

IBGCUUALC5CKHIQ5QUAS3XI4EM.jpg

Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl: The Lifestory of Vertamae-Smart Grosvenor.

The three-story rowhouse on Erdman Street where Vertamae Smart-Grosvenor’s family lived doesn’t exist anymore. It’s been razed and replaced. The Smarts had been making a new life there, among the hundreds of thousands of Southerners who moved to Philadelphia during the Great Migration.

“Wasn’t but seven families on the street, and five of them from South Carolina," wrote Smart-Grosvenor, who died in 2016, in her seminal cookbook, Vibration Cooking: Or, The Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl. Many of her recipes came from the South Carolina Lowcountry.

“Whenever Daddy went crabbing it was a real treat. We would have enough crabs for all of Erdman street. We would boil the crabs down in a No. 2 tub and eat for days, adding a quart of beer to the water — sometimes.”

The Smarts had followed Vertamae’s grandmother, who had settled in North Philly. As Isabel Wilkerson explained in her 2010 book on the Great Migration, The Warmth of Other Suns, Southerners often followed people they knew, resulting in churches, communities, and cities of folk who called the same areas home. Philadelphia and New York were common destinations for Gullah-Geechee people from the coasts of South Carolina and Georgia, the descendants of enslaved Africans who are deeply influenced by West African cultures.

YBMTN5Z7IRFBHIOIHIXC2NV65I.jpg

Vibration Cooking was published in 1970.

The title for her book was bold. In 1970, many Americans were unfamiliar with Gullah-Geechee culture, which was stereotyped as country and backward. Even chef Valerie Erwin, who owned Geechee Girl Cafe in Mount Airy until it closed in 2015, said some diners were convinced that the name Geechee is pejorative. Smart-Grosvenor still put her that part of her identity front and center.

The memory of sharing crabs on the block, like much of the book, reads more like what you might come across in food writing today, on sites like Food 52 or in the comments section of New York Times Cooking, rather than in 1970 when it was first published. Fifty years later, Vibration Cooking is a book that moves beyond memories, and gives a glimpse of how black migrants lived and ate in postwar Philadelphia.

Smart-Grosvenor called herself a culinary griot. Along with her cookbooks and catering, Smart-Grosvenor was an actress, a researcher of black domestic workers, and a longtime NPR contributor. She had a lot of famous friends, including Maya Angelou, Nina Simone, and James Baldwin, and she often fed the brightest of the black literati.

Kali Grosvenor, Smart-Grosvenor’s elder daughter, has been revisiting Vibration Cooking as she researches details on her family’s life in Philadelphia.

“It strikes me that all the places we can trace her to are gone or vanished,” Kali Grosvenor said. Francisville, an increasingly popular name for Smart-Grosvenor’s part of town, has been called “the front lines of gentrification.”

“She was a part of all these different movements,” said Julie Dash, director of the classic 1991 film Daughters of the Dust who is studying Smart-Grosvenor’s life for a forthcoming documentary. Smart-Grosvenor, a member of the Beat Generation, was involved in the Black Arts Movement, Black Cinema Movement, and Black Power Movement, too, Dash said. “Arts, culture, politics — all of these things coalesced through her life.”

Vibration Cooking was never simply about Southern food, Dash explained.

In fact, the “soul food” label was one she resisted. In the introduction of the 1992 edition of Vibration Cooking, Smart-Grosvenor clarified that she made black foods because she loved them, not because of any “culinary limitations.” “I would explain that my kitchen was the world, ” she wrote.

The book journeys through Philly, Paris, New York, and Rome, the Caribbean and the Congo. She writes about the friends who taught her recipes, the artists in her community, and the gatherings where it all came together. She shares commentaries on racist attitudes, turning a negative response to the African attire she wore into opportunity to consider how Europeans brought foods to the New World that they themselves had taken from other places. (“Now, if a squash and a potato and a duck and a pepper can grow and look like their ancestors, I know damn well that I can walk around dressed like mine.”)

“She was doing Afro-Atlantic foodways based upon the West African traditions that were still in use in the Lowcountry," Dash said. "The rice and the seafoods, and the shellfish and all that. But people didn’t understand that. She was so before her time that it wasn’t funny.”

The recipes connected to Philadelphia, many of them in an early chapter that includes fried oysters, catfish stew, fried soft shell crab, crab cakes. Smart-Grosvenor named her version of fried chicken — which requires soaking the bird in a mix of milk and eggs for three hours — after arts scholar Larry Neal because she made it that way for him, she explained, “so we could talk.”

Neal was among the friends Smart-Grosvenor would meet for espresso as a budding beatnik. They’d spend time at a Rittenhouse cafe called the Artists’ Hut.

“I cook by vibration. I can tell by the look and smell of it,” she wrote in Vibration Cooking, explaining a lack of measurements.

Ashbell McElveen, a culinary historian and founder of the James Hemings Society, finds kinship in this approach.

“When you talk about Vibration Cooking, for her it was all those cues that you learn when you didn’t have a recipe, you had the time,” said McElveen, who once entertained Smart-Grosvenor as a dinner guest. “How long is that going to take in the fireplace? Do I have to rake this over to the coals and leave this on the slag for a while? All of these adjustments that actually inhabits the life of a good, seasoned cook. And that’s the heritage of African Americans cooking in the South. It is not a recipe, necessarily, it is a way that we actually passed on knowledge.”

African Americans, McElveen said, “have always been situational cooks,” adapting traditions to the (new) locations where they are. The cuisines that enslaved chefs created, the foodways of the Great Migration, the black culinary traditions of Philadelphia, and Vibration Cooking, he explained, are all examples of this.

Kali Grosvenor remembers being able to tell her mother’s mood by the way she was cooking. She was an artist who stated plainly that food was her medium. That her food could survive, even if many of the places that shaped her did not, Grosvenor said, is “the point of the book.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Jessica%20Harris%20with%20Lolis%20Elie.png

Tuesday, July 7th

6:00PM

This event is free however an RSVP is required (no later than Noon CST on the day of the Event).

If you would like to attend please RSVP to GDBSMorrison@aol.com

Join us for this very special Zoom event with professor and culinary historian, Jessica B. Harris in conversation with Lolis Eric Elie as they discuss Jessica's new book, Vintage Postcards from the African World.

For over forty years, Jessica B. Harris has collected postcards depicting Africans and their descendants in the American diaspora. They are presented for the first time in this exquisite volume. Vintage Postcards from the African World: In the Dignity of Their Work and the Joy of Their Play brings together more than 150 images, providing a visual document of more than a century of work in agricultural and culinary pursuits and joy in entertainments, parades, and celebrations.

Jessica B. Harris is author, editor, or translator of seventeen books, including twelve cookbooks documenting the foods and foodways of the African diaspora. She lectures and consults widely in the United States and abroad and has written extensively for scholarly and popular publications. Recently retired after five decades of teaching at Queens College, CUNY, Harris is the recipient of numerous awards for her work including an honorary doctorate of humane letters from Johnson and Wales University. She was recently inducted into the James Beard Cookbook Hall of Fame.

Lolis Eric Elie is a New Orleans born, Los Angeles based writer and filmmaker. Most recently, he joined the writing staff of the Amazon series "The Man in the High Castle." Before that, he wrote for the OWN series "Greenleaf" and the HBO series "Treme." Working with the award-winning director Dawn Logsdon, he co- produced and wrote the PBS documentary, Faubourg Treme: The Untold Story of Black New Orleans. His essay, “America’s Greatest Hits,” is included in Best African American Essays: 2009.

Event date:
Tuesday, July 7, 2020 - 6:00pm
Event address:
Garden District Book Shop
2727 Prytania Street
New Orleans, LA 70130

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Chef Nia Minard is bringing Mississippi hot tamales to a South Philly food truck
August 11, 2020

EEU3RPV6CFAELOHQTA3NOCIBNA.jpg

Growing up, Nia Minard didn’t think much of Mississippi hot tamales.

The tamales, part of a Black Southern food tradition, were sold all over her hometown of Yazoo City, Miss. People would buy them from a little stall on the street, unwrap the corn husks and smear some of the filling on a saltine cracker. There, they just called them hot tamales.

But in 2003, when Minard returned to Philadelphia, the place she was born, for college, she started to miss the foods that reminded her of home. Simple stuff you couldn’t get at soul food restaurants around the city. Fried chicken livers, stewed lima beans, and turkey necks.

“When you eat something all the time, it feels pedestrian,” Minard, 35, says. “It doesn’t feel that extraordinary. It was only when I came up here as a prodigal Southerner that I really started to value my own distinct foodways.”

That, she says, is what got her cooking: homesickness — and the realization that food can make a place feel like home.

IUGE354WURCO3ED6ZGDR4GJ4WY.jpg

CHARLES FOX / Staff Photographer
Chef Nia D. Minard is running SEAMAAC's popup So.phi.e (South Philadelphia East) Food Truck and selling Mississippi hot tamales, which she grew up eating, and other dishes. On July 22, 2020, an order of 3 tamales are shown. They are available in pork, chicken, or vegan option of cubanelle pepper and sweet potato.

Now, the self-taught chef is serving up her own take on her hometown comfort foods every Wednesday evening this summer in South Philly’s Mifflin Square Park. Operating out of a food truck run by SEAMAAC, an organization serving immigrants and refugees, Minard sells fried okra, hoppin’ John empanadas, and the quintessential hot tamale.

The dish is a Minard specialty. “It’s delicious, and it’s fussy, and it’s complicated,” she says, referring to the work that goes into hand-rolling the tamales.

It’s one she’s made for other culinary projects, like the 2017 Philadelphia Assembled Kitchen, which featured food inspired by poet Ntzoke Shange’s 1997 cookbook If I Can Cook/You Know God Can: “I need to know how we celebrate our victories, our very survival,” Shange wrote. “What did we want for dinner?”

To Minard, that was hot tamales.

“Unbeknownst to most folks up here in the Northeast, our South American sisters and brothers aren’t the only ones that make tamales,” she wrote in the Philadelphia Assembled Kitchen recipe book. “Yes, Black folks have been making tamales for nearly 100 years in the Mississippi Delta, as immortalized by the Robert Johnson song, ‘They’re Red Hot.‘”

TVILQYN6DFDEPLW6RQGZMWVXLA.jpg

Chef Nia D. Minard is running SEAMAAC's popup So.phi.e (South Philadelphia East) Food Truck and selling Mississippi hot tamales, which she grew up eating, and other dishes. She puts sauce on an order of tamales on July 22, 2020. while fried chicken sliders (left) and pimento cheese with cornbread crackers sit in the foreground.

What makes the hot tamale distinct from a Mexican or South American tamale is that it’s boiled, not steamed, Minard says, and it’s made with cornmeal instead of masa harina — which gives the hot tamale a grainier texture.

And it’s a wet, saucy tamale — she remembers eating a Mexican tamale in Philadelphia for the first time thinking: “This is delicious but I need some sauce.”

Roasted pork or chicken is traditional, though she also offers a vegan option with cubanelle pepper and sweet potato.

She does not, however, offer a turkey option, even though it’s one of the regional quirks of Philly’s food culture that she both loves and disdains, as a self-proclaimed “pork woman in a turkey town.”

Muslim dietary restrictions have had a strong influence on Philly food culture, because of the many Black Muslims in Philly. Fried turkey chops, for example, are more common than fried pork chops on soul food menus, she noted.

“That’s an adaptation to people’s tastes,” she said. “You ain’t gonna make chitlins if people ain’t eatin’ em.”

GZSF7C246RFZTPX6NRGPDSGH4M.jpg

Chef Nia D. Minard is running SEAMAAC's popup So.phi.e (South Philadelphia East) Food Truck and selling Mississippi hot tamales, which she grew up eating, and other dishes. A fried chicken slider with a cup of rosemary sweet tea in the background

Minard, who’s also an educator and used to run the student kitchen program for Sankofa Farm at Bartram’s Garden, says she loves those regional food differences because they show how African Americans have found a way to adapt and survive wherever they go.

They also point to the fact that, as Minard puts it, “there isn’t a monolithic Black America.”

It was a notion that felt present on a recent Wednesday evening in Mifflin Square Park.

As a group of Southeast Asian boys played sepak takraw and community activists in red T-shirts spoke about fighting evictions, Minard served rosemary sweet tea and paper trays of hot tamales from a truck, bringing the Black Southern food of her childhood into the tradition of South Philadelphia.

JYFZHJDVYRDDBGSDH4DG44ZSIA.jpg

Chef Nia D. Minard is running SEAMAAC's popup So.phi.e (South Philadelphia East) Food Truck and selling Mississippi hot tamales, which she grew up eating, and other dishes. Pimento cheese with cornbread crackers

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
On a related note, does anyone know the history of Mississippi and tamales?
This is from a link tied to the article posted above .

ORAL HISTORY
An Introduction: Hot Tamales & The Mississippi Delta

The history of the hot tamale in the Mississippi Delta reaches back to at least the early twentieth century. Reverend Moses Mason, recording as Red Hot Ole Mose, cut “Molly Man” in 1928. Bluesman Robert Johnson recorded “They’re Red Hot” in 1936. How and when were hot tamales introduced to “the most southern place on earth”? There are as many answers to that question as there are tamale recipes. In restaurants, on street corners, and in kitchens throughout the Delta, this very old and time-consuming culinary tradition has remained, while much of the Delta has faded.

The Mississippi Delta is the flat alluvial plain that flanks the western part of the state. This leaf-shaped area is often referred to as the Yazoo-Mississippi Delta, for these two powerful rivers define its borders. David L. Cohn, author of God Shakes Creation (1935) and a Greenville native, devised a geo-cultural definition of the region. In his memoir, Where I was Born and Raised (1948), he wrote, “the Delta begins in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis and ends on Catfish Row in Vicksburg.” Within these boundaries, hot tamales flourish.

Some hypothesize that tamales made their way to the Mississippi Delta in the early twentieth century when migrant laborers from Mexico arrived to work the cotton harvest. African Americans who labored alongside Mexican migrants recognized the basic tamale ingredients: corn meal and pork. Others maintain that the Delta history with tamales goes back to the U.S.-Mexican War one hundred years earlier, when U.S. soldiers traveled to Mexico and brought tamale recipes home with them. Others still argue that tamales date to the Mississippian culture of mound-building Native Americans.

Contemporary SFA oral history interviews with tamale makers and vendors reveal the various ways in which tamale recipes have been acquired and how they have changed. They underscore the endurance of this food in this region of the American South.

Tamale recipes vary from place to place, person to person. Pork is traditional. Some folks use beef, while others prefer turkey. Some boil their meat, while others simply brown it. Some people use masa, while most prefer the rough texture of corn meal. Most wrap in corn shucks, while a few have turned to parchment paper. Many season the meat and the meal, as well as the water used to simmer the rolled bundles. Some eat tamales straight out of the shuck, while others smother them in chili and cheese. Tamales from the Mississippi Delta are smaller than Latin-style tamales, are simmered instead of steamed, have a gritty texture from the use of corn meal instead of corn flour, have considerably more spice, and are usually served with juice that is the byproduct of simmering. Today, some cooks even fry their hot tamales. (In the Delta vernacular, the singular is, indeed, tamale, not the Spanish tamal.)

Within the Delta, the city of Greenville is a hotbed of hot tamales. In the early part of the twentieth century, river commerce drew many Sicilians to the area. It’s possible that migrant Mexican laborers who came through the Delta might have shared their tamale tradition with these Italian immigrants. Delta tamales may have developed from the African American dish called cush. Lumumba Ajanaku, a tamale vendor in Yazoo City, talks about cush in his interview: “Some say [hot tamales] come from an old word that we use called cush, you know. A lot of the Africans would just take meal and season the meal…because a lot of them didn’t have enough money to buy meat like they wanted, so they would take the meal and season the meal. And the meal would taste so good it tasted like meat was in it.”

Whatever their origins, hot tamales have been a staple of Delta communities for generations. Tamales proved a hearty food, easily transported warm to chilly cotton fields during the fall picking season. Once the cotton harvest was complete, African American vendors exploited streetcorner economic opportunities to sell bundles of tamales from pushcarts and stands. Today, African Americans are the primary keepers of Delta tamale-making tradition.

~Amy C. Evans, SFA Oral Historian

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The First African-American Woman Master Blender Is Here to End the White-Washing of American Whiskey

Victoria Eady Butler on launching a new career in whiskey thanks to her great-great-grandfather

July 13, 2020

Victoria Eady Butler

The story of how Victoria Eady Butler went from working as Analytical Manager in the Department of Justice to being the first known African-American woman Master Blender in the American spirits industry has everything to do with her great-great-grandfather. Butler is a descendant of Nathan “Nearest” Green, the man who mentored Jack Daniel in the craft of whiskey distilling. Green, who was enslaved until 1865, was a highly skilled whiskey-maker and an indispensable advisor and distiller for Jack Daniel’s now internationally recognized whiskey business.

Historical documents indicate Green’s enslavers were a firm known as Landis & Green, who “leant out” Nearest Green for a fee to local preacher Dan Call. Green continued to work for Call after emancipation, and it was through Call that Green and Daniel met. Historians believe that Green was the person who first taught Daniel the “Lincoln County” method, by which unaged whiskey is filtered through charcoal to remove impurities, a process likely derived from West African alcohol-production traditions. When Jack Daniel began his whiskey business, he employed Green as his first master distiller.

The erasure of Black innovation from the history of American foodways is nothing new. But in 2016, Jack Daniel’s parent company Brown-Forman formally acknowledged Green’s pivotal role in the formation of the brand’s signature product. The following year, author, entrepreneur, and researcher Fawn Weaver founded an independent whiskey brand in Nathan Green’s honor called Uncle Nearest. Weaver intended for each batch of the 1884 Uncle Nearest whiskey to be blended by one of Green’s descendants, and Butler was the first one to step into the role.

nearest_green.jpg

Fawn Weaver(center) with Nathan Green's descendants

Turns out that Butler has a knack for blending whiskey. The first batch she blended went on to win several awards and quickly sold out. “I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging or anything, but I did a good job,” Butler said in a phone interview. “I picked according to my palate, and it felt pretty natural for me, oddly enough.” Butler’s success led to another batch, and to a new title: master blender, the first Black woman to have held the role for a whiskey company, as far as Weaver and Butler have been able to confirm.

In the traditionally cloistered male and white world of whiskey, Uncle Nearest is a brand that is proudly Black-owned and operated, rooted in the history of long-overlooked Black innovation in the beverage space, and, by its very existence, a refutation of the old narratives that white-washed the American whiskey industry. American whiskey marketing often centers on the drink’s roots in Ireland and Scotland, or emphasizing its image as the de facto drink of masculine, dapper gentlemen, which are almost always white gentlemen. Centering the history and contributions of a Black distiller is way to question the lens that white historians and marketers have used to tell the narrative of American spirits.

Butler’s role isn’t just focused on blending. She is also the director of the nonprofit Nearest Green Foundation, another endeavor co-founded by Fawn Weaver established to spread Green’s story and provide scholarships for any of Green's descendants to go to whatever school they wish to attend. “We’ll pay your way all the way through a Ph.D,” Butler said. “We just had three recipients graduate this spring. Once Fawn does the research on something, the vision comes to fruition very quickly. We don’t sit on things.”

Even in the midst of the pandemic, Weaver and Butler have moved forward on other important initiatives. Uncle Nearest donated 300,000 masks to hospitals, essential workers, and communities. In June, Uncle Nearest teamed up with Jack Daniel’s to announce the Nearest & Jack Advancement Initiative, a program intended to diversify the American whiskey industry and to introduce Black distillers to mentors, apprenticeship, and other resources. A key part of the initiative is the creation of The Nearest Green School of Distilling, a certificate program at Tennessee's Motlow State College. Both Uncle Nearest and Brown-Forman have promised $5 million in funding for the initiative.

“We are continuing to break barriers and be the first at things,” Butler said. “We have the only distillery owned and run by a Black female, and the only whiskey that honors a Black man on the bottle. I’m proud of what we’re doing. I can’t imagine what the future will be, but nothing surprises me anymore about what we’re going to do. I know this for sure: Whenever we decide to do something, we do it. I have enough to keep me busy, I’d say.

===============

THE STORY OF NEAREST GREEN

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
The First African-American Woman Master Blender Is Here to End the White-Washing of American Whiskey

Victoria Eady Butler on launching a new career in whiskey thanks to her great-great-grandfather

July 13, 2020

Victoria Eady Butler

The story of how Victoria Eady Butler went from working as Analytical Manager in the Department of Justice to being the first known African-American woman Master Blender in the American spirits industry has everything to do with her great-great-grandfather. Butler is a descendant of Nathan “Nearest” Green, the man who mentored Jack Daniel in the craft of whiskey distilling. Green, who was enslaved until 1865, was a highly skilled whiskey-maker and an indispensable advisor and distiller for Jack Daniel’s now internationally recognized whiskey business.

Historical documents indicate Green’s enslavers were a firm known as Landis & Green, who “leant out” Nearest Green for a fee to local preacher Dan Call. Green continued to work for Call after emancipation, and it was through Call that Green and Daniel met. Historians believe that Green was the person who first taught Daniel the “Lincoln County” method, by which unaged whiskey is filtered through charcoal to remove impurities, a process likely derived from West African alcohol-production traditions. When Jack Daniel began his whiskey business, he employed Green as his first master distiller.

The erasure of Black innovation from the history of American foodways is nothing new. But in 2016, Jack Daniel’s parent company Brown-Forman formally acknowledged Green’s pivotal role in the formation of the brand’s signature product. The following year, author, entrepreneur, and researcher Fawn Weaver founded an independent whiskey brand in Nathan Green’s honor called Uncle Nearest. Weaver intended for each batch of the 1884 Uncle Nearest whiskey to be blended by one of Green’s descendants, and Butler was the first one to step into the role.

nearest_green.jpg

Fawn Weaver(center) with Nathan Green's desendants

Turns out that Butler has a knack for blending whiskey. The first batch she blended went on to win several awards and quickly sold out. “I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging or anything, but I did a good job,” Butler said in a phone interview. “I picked according to my palate, and it felt pretty natural for me, oddly enough.” Butler’s success led to another batch, and to a new title: master blender, the first Black woman to have held the role for a whiskey company, as far as Weaver and Butler have been able to confirm.

In the traditionally cloistered male and white world of whiskey, Uncle Nearest is a brand that is proudly Black-owned and operated, rooted in the history of long-overlooked Black innovation in the beverage space, and, by its very existence, a refutation of the old narratives that white-washed the American whiskey industry. American whiskey marketing often centers on the drink’s roots in Ireland and Scotland, or emphasizing its image as the de facto drink of masculine, dapper gentlemen, which are almost always white gentlemen. Centering the history and contributions of a Black distiller is way to question the lens that white historians and marketers have used to tell the narrative of American spirits.

Butler’s role isn’t just focused on blending. She is also the director of the nonprofit Nearest Green Foundation, another endeavor co-founded by Fawn Weaver established to spread Green’s story and provide scholarships for any of Green's descendants to go to whatever school they wish to attend. “We’ll pay your way all the way through a Ph.D,” Butler said. “We just had three recipients graduate this spring. Once Fawn does the research on something, the vision comes to fruition very quickly. We don’t sit on things.”

Even in the midst of the pandemic, Weaver and Butler have moved forward on other important initiatives. Uncle Nearest donated 300,000 masks to hospitals, essential workers, and communities. In June, Uncle Nearest teamed up with Jack Daniel’s to announce the Nearest & Jack Advancement Initiative, a program intended to diversify the American whiskey industry and to introduce Black distillers to mentors, apprenticeship, and other resources. A key part of the initiative is the creation of The Nearest Green School of Distilling, a certificate program at Tennessee's Motlow State College. Both Uncle Nearest and Brown-Forman have promised $5 million in funding for the initiative.

“We are continuing to break barriers and be the first at things,” Butler said. “We have the only distillery owned and run by a Black female, and the only whiskey that honors a Black man on the bottle. I’m proud of what we’re doing. I can’t imagine what the future will be, but nothing surprises me anymore about what we’re going to do. I know this for sure: Whenever we decide to do something, we do it. I have enough to keep me busy, I’d say.

===============

THE STORY OF NEAREST GREEN

I know some of her family. The cousin of Ms Butler went to school with me at A&T, and invited me to the distillery and home in Tennessee. Ms Butler looks just like my friends mother.

It’s a good whisky, and not too pricey.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Black Farming Conference to show the way for next generation of farmers
DHJKPK6FGRC65DYQISS2VFHW5M.jpg

Sept 11, 2020

This weekend is a rare opportunity to experience an expert-led lesson on the influential history of Black farmers in Ohio and participate in preparing the next generation of underrepresented farmers.

The Black Farming: Beyond 40 Acres and a Mule, organized by The Arthur Morgan Institute for Community Solutions in Yellow Springs, is a two-day, virtual conference happening Friday and Saturday, with an option for an in-person, local agriculture tour at Central State University.

The two-day event is free and open to the public, however, attendees need to register for "Black Farming: Beyond “40 Acres and a Mule” on eventbrite.com.

Black Farming: Beyond "40 Acres and a Mule."

Friday at 4 p.m., there is a limited in-person, four-stop tour of the CSU Seed to Bloom Botanical and Community Garden, Aquaponic Demonstration Center, Research and Extension Farm and the CSU Bee Yard and Soil Health Area. There will also be breakout sessions throughout the conference, networking, a resource fair and more.

All other conference programming begins Friday at 7 p.m. and resumes Saturday morning at 10 a.m.

Pre-coronavirus, the conference was originally planned to be held at The National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Center in Wilberforce. However, the center’s assistant director, Jerolyn Barbee, will still give the virtual conference’s opening remarks Friday evening.

Committee members have been planning the conference for the past year but needed to move the conference online when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. More than 500 people from all across the U.S. are registered for each day, according to conference committee member and Antioch College student affairs coordinator, Ariella Brown.

According to the Economic Contribution of Agricultural and Food Production to the Ohio Economy report, in 2015, agriculture and food production contributed to $1 in every $13 of Ohio’s gross state product, and one in eight Ohio jobs.

“When people think of agriculture, they think of being in the fields, hard labor,” Brown said. “But there’s so much more to agriculture than just planting a seed. Think of food science, think of agriculture business, just the entire business community — there is agriculture tied to that. So say you want to start just a small farming operation (and) you don’t have startup funds, how do you get started?”

Conference attendees will learn about grants available, local organizations that can assist in the startup process and more.

The weekend’s keynote speakers are Anna-Lisa Cox, author of “The Bone and Sinew of the Land: America’s Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality”
51RMd4ufOuL._AC_SY400_.jpg

and state conservationist, Terry Cosby of the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
Terry-Cosby2a.jpg

Terry Cosby

Other speakers include Antioch College associate professor of history Kevin McGruder and president of the Federation of Southern Cooperative Cornelius Blanding.
KevinMcGruder_VPAA-300x291.jpg

Kevin McGruder
UG6A0542a.jpg

Cornelius Blanding

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Announcing the Food and Beverage Investment Fund for Black and Indigenous Americans

September 14, 2020

090820_DONATE_730X442.jpg

In acknowledgement of the immeasurable contributions the Black and Indigenous communities have made to the modern American foodscape, we're announcing the James Beard Foundation Food and Beverage Investment Fund for Black and Indigenous Americans, a new grant initiative to provide financial resources for food or beverage businesses that are majority-owned by Black or Indigenous individuals. The initiative is a component of our Open For Good campaign launched in April to rebuild an independent restaurant industry that is stronger, more equitable, more sustainable, and more resilient post-pandemic.

“The new Fund is part of the Foundation’s ongoing commitment to continually lift up the Black and Indigenous business owners in its industry, not just in light of the pandemic, but for good,” said James Beard Foundation vice president of community Colleen Vincent. “Financial resource is that much more impactful when coupled with support from organizations and experts who make themselves available to provide guidance on professional skills like marketing, structuring business plans, and negotiating contracts. The Foundation is creating new partnerships to deliver this value to its grant recipients in an effort to see these businesses thrive for the long term.”

In order to properly appreciate the contributions of Black and Indigenous Americans to the nation’s food culture, the efforts of all types of food and beverage businesses, not just those that have been acknowledged at the James Beard Awards, must be recognized. Food trucks, pop-up supper clubs, fast-casual restaurants, and brewpubs are all a part of the unique culinary fabric of this country. With this new Fund, the Foundation aims to support and encourage businesses of all forms that help to make American food delicious and diverse.

The Fund aims to disburse grants of $15,000 each equally across Black and Indigenous populations throughout the United States. Using the most recent census data, six regions of the country have been delineated, each containing 16 to 17 percent of the total Black and Indigenous population in the U.S.

To help guide the development of criteria, craft partnerships to deliver non-financial resources to grantees, and to support the promotion of application cycles, the Foundation created the JBF Fund Leadership Committee. Founding committee members include:

• Bleu Adams, IndigeHub, and JBF Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Program Fellow
  • Cheryl Day, Baker and Author, Back in the Day Bakery, JBF Food and Beverage Industry Relief Fund Grantee
  • Carla Hall, Celebrity Chef and Cookbook Author
  • Raymond P. Lewis, President, RPL Consulting, LLC (Events Marketing, Public, Community Relations Firm)
  • Zella Palmer, Chair, Dillard University Ray Charles Program in African-American Material Culture
  • Michael E. Roberts, President and CEO, First Nations Development Institute
  • Sean Sherman, Chef, Author, and Activist, The Sioux Chef, and JBF Leadership Award Honoree
  • Alexander Smalls, Chef, Restaurateur, and Author, Alexander Smalls & Company LLC
  • Dana Thompson, Co-Owner and Activist, The Sioux Chef, Executive Director, North American Traditional Indigenous Food Systems
  • Heather Dawn Thompson, Principal, Native American Capital
View the criteria, regions, and categories here. The Fund is launching with support from the Willamette Valley Wineries Association, who contributed $100,000 in proceeds from their annual Pinot Noir Auction which took place on August 13, 2020. The Fund will also be the beneficiary of proceeds from the “HEARD Initiative” bracelet created by chef Ming Tsai and chef George Mandakas of Chef Metal Jewelry (chefmetal.com). Donations to the Fund can be made at members.jamesbeard.org/jbf-investment-fund or by contacting grants@jamesbeard.org.

Please visit jamesbeard.org/investment-fund for all announcements of criteria and timing of application windows.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Black Couple Known For Their Gullah Geechee Treats Debuts New Online Store Featuring Historic Charleston Chews
September 26, 2020
Facebook-Share-Size-Photo-2.png

Michael & Latanya Allen, the founders and owners of Tastee Treats
Charleston, SC — Michael & Latanya Allen, the founders and owners of Tastee Treats, have launched an online store allowing them to sell their historic Charleston Chews, jams, and jellies to customers nationally. The entrepreneurial couple originally started out selling their products at local festivals, county fairs, and farmers markets across the low country of South Carolina.

“This is unbelievable to us,” states Latanya as she highlights how their business started. “It seems like only yesterday we came up with the idea of selling our Charleston Chews, jams, and jellies to the public.” She credits the ladies in her life that influenced her with cooking, who are her mother Frances, and her Grandmother, Elizabeth. These two ladies taught her the fundaments of preparing historic Gullah cuisine.

Tastee Treats SC

Tastee Treats’ signature item, Charleston Chew has been passed down for three generations within Latanya’s family. In addition, the Gullah Geechee and West Africa’s influence in cooking and baking helped to solidify the rich taste of their products. Also, the Charleston Chews dates and cranberry bars are Tastee Treats premier product, and it is very flavorful and succulent. Customers not only can purchase the bar, but they can purchase the dry mix of the Charleston Chews and prepare it at home. Lastly, their famous jams and jellies have multiple uses, and are second to none in flavor are also sold on their website.

“Gullah Geechee culture and history are very important elements that are taught in Low Country African American homes,” says Michael. “The preparing and serving of food are how the Gullah/ Geechee people and communities demonstrate their love for family and friends.”

To learn more about Tastee Treats and its products, please visit their official website at TasteeTreats-SC.com

Also, follow the brand on Instagram @TheOriginalTasteeTreats and Facebook.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Full Circle: The Ballad of Rodney and Roscoe
running time 15 minutes

FULL CIRCLE tells the story of Rodney Scott, of Charleston, SC, founder of Rodney Scott’s Whole Hog BBQ. And Roscoe Hall, of Birmingham, AL, grandson of the founder of Dreamland Bar-B-Que in nearby Tuscaloosa, who now manages the Birmingham location of Rodney Scott’s Whole Hog BBQ. Both men grew up in the barbecue business. And both men now carry forward a legacy of African American knowledge and labor. This is a story about generational transfer, black entrepreneurship, and the future of barbecue in the Deep South.