Hip Hop photography exhibit opens in NYC, will tour Europe

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This is dope thanks for sharing. Oddly, I was going to go Sat but the tickets are 31 dollars and I was Leary this was merely a recycle of all the other hip hop themed events/movies/productions I’ve seen in recent memory. I’m going to support
You're welcome. Yeah, a LOT of the current "commemoration" stuff is fluff and cash grabs.
Occasionally they have a talented person who is actually a long time fan/participant putting together something that has substance and pays homage to the ones who put in the work.

I saw that Ernie Panochili's work is there, so it's official. I built with E. a few years back. "Native American" looking dude with an Italian name, hahahaha. He was behind a lot of photo shoots and album insert pics.

Glad you enjoyed the thread, and look forward to your thoughts of the exhibit in real life. Also, check the tag at the top of the thread <record pool> for similar content.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

WORD: LIFE Panel | The Culture is Visual: Hip Hop Photography​

Mar 6, 2024
Moderator: Michelle Willems Panelists: Mel D. Cole, Martha Cooper, Sue Kwon, Ernie Paniccioli

Context: While the words of hip hop journalism lionized rappers and minted them as stars with Horatio Alger-tales of rags to riches, it was the images that often canonized them. Photographs of artists in the ‘70s and ‘80s are intimate portraits of a burgeoning scene. By the ‘90s and turn of the century, as hip hop became a global phenomenon, often visuals would capture the quieter moments between artist’s larger than life exploits.

This conversation will center around all those moments and the observations of the photographers that were able to capture some of rap’s most historic memories.

Featured panelists include Ernie Paniccioli, the former principal photographer for Word Up! magazine and longtime visual documentarian covering hip hop; Martha Cooper, a landmark chronicler of New York’s graffiti and dance scenes; Sue Kwon, a photographic contributor to The Source and the Village Voice and Mel. D. Cole, an award-winning photographer who’s known both for his portraits of hip hop artists and his photojournalism. Moderating the panel is Michelle Williams, former art director for Honey Magazine and Tommy Boy records