Hiring Black ex-cons

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Not ready to do anything yet but I own a small business and hopefully this year I can quit my main job and go full time. If I get a couple more big accounts I need to hire one or two people though this probably won't happen until the second half of 2017 earliest.

I want to hire people from our community, especially the ones who are good workers that others won't hire. I am thinking of giving people a chance regardless of their felony background etc. but need some ideas on how to screen the good from the bad.

I have family members who did time so I know some are knuckleheads that will never change while others want to try to rebuild their life and stay out of trouble. How do I find the latter type? Parole violation records, non-profit groups, churches? Official prison job placement programs? Any advice is welcome.

SouthSac916

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento
Find ones in college. You get a bargain. Person with skills but not hired because of their past.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Checking with non profits would probably be your best bet. They'll have active case managers that can vouch for them if they're sincerely making an effort.

You could also check non profits that work with emancipated foster youth (avg age is usually 18-24) if finding reliable excons proves difficult.

Last edited: