How did Reagan won in a landslide in 1984, when 91% of Black people voted for Mondale?

Daps
Oh shyt. I forgot about the Electoral College. But still, the popular vote was still 58% to 40%.

So many ppl forget about the college :francis: that's why we have messes like 2000 and 2016 :unimpressed: n why pop votes are overshadowed by location, location, location

White people loved Reagan reminded them of John Wayne.

Motherfukk him and John Wayne :camby:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I guess the best thing to do is let it sink in

We spend ALOT of time giving our vote credit for singlehandedly doing this or that but in reality it means nothing if every one else goes a.different way

Kinda hard to make the type of demands some of us imagine we can make with that amount of leverage

Congratulations. You little Brehs are discovering objective reality

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
White percentage of the electorate was significantly higher in 1984 than now. You can kind of predict election outcomes based on the white and non-white voter totals. As white voters decline, it becomes damn near impossible for a republican to win the popular vote. In fact a republican has won the popular vote one time since 1992 (W Bush won it in 2004).

The only way they can win is by squeaking out electoral college wins while losing the total popular vote (see: 2000, 2016).

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
White percentage of the electorate was significantly higher in 1984 than now. You can kind of predict election outcomes based on the white and non-white voter totals. As white voters decline, it becomes damn near impossible for a republican to win the popular vote. In fact a republican has won the popular vote one time since 1992 (W Bush won it in 2004).

The only way they can win is by squeaking out electoral college wins while losing the total popular vote (see: 2000, 2016).
Republicans on their way out starting this decade:mjlit:

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
Why do y'all raise these dead threads

Regan was effective at scaring people into thinking WW3 & nuclear war with the USSR was on the brink
So you don't want to go with an unknown dude
And that only he was tough enough to deal with them and defend the country
Repubs love using this fear tactic still today

He had people convinced that Trickle down economics would boost the economy for lower classes

And he was an actor so people recognized him and he appeared likable and was a smooth talker

For most people (whites) that's all they needed

Black vote wasn't really a factor

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
There were way less Hispanics in the US back then. I would mention Asians too, but they were GOP leaning back then.

If I'm not mistaken, Reagan actually got less of the white vote than a GOP president today would. He got much lower margins in those redneck states like West Virginia and Kentucky than Trump did.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
White people liked him - and they’re the majority of this country.
Yes.
People are dodging the obvious answer to OP's question.

As a voting bloc, Black voters can shift national elections between candidates with similar white support. But a candidate cannot ride into office strictly based on the Black vote. Even if they get nearly all of it.

Reagan rode into office campaigning on restoring American strength and power. Carter was viewed as soft. Reagan washed him in 1980, and then landslides Carter's VP (Mondale) in 1984.

==
Reagan was SUPER popular. Mondale was expected to lose so he said fukk it, selected a female VP. In 1984 climate that was bold, and GUARANTEED that he would lose.

hqdefault.jpg

For younger fans of Wutang, this GZA line from the first album summed it up.

"I gamed Ella,
the chick caught a fitz like Gerald
-ine Ferraro
who's full of sorrow
''Cuz the H* didn't win but the sun will still come out tomorrow
And shine, shine, shine like gold mine"

Wutang threw their Congresswoman under the bus

Last edited: