How does Nas have a reputation of a bad ear for beats, but also got Illmatic under his belt?

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Never said anything about IWW quailty. I said his production was critized since. After IWW he be shooting like 60% (being generous) with his beat picking. Thats not good at all. And i hate to say this but that hitboy shyt aint change nothing lol
60% of a 17 album discog and unrealeased is insanely GREAT

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
I dont think nas picks bad beats, but he def has a formula. If you dont like that formula, or that style of production, i could understand someone saying that. For example, After the lauren track blew every album had that big 80s hit sample with a rnb singer for like 3-4 straight albums. He switches it up kinda by the end of the 2000s but their is a consistant theme/style imo that carried over on each album. hell switch styles of beats to change with the times but the forumula is kinda the same.

I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing, but if you dont like the beats he picks on one album, you prolly wont like any. Imo they all pretty much sound similar minus the first 2. He def goes for the stripped back hip hop golden age stuff later into 2000s, i saw that carry well into lost tapes 2 era. I like all nas albums kinda the same. I always love a few songs a lot, but find a decent portion to be uninspired myself production wise.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah,, but his timbaland produced era is cringe as fuhk..

Imagine playing Hey Papi loud in your car #cringe

Lobster and Scrimp

Dirt off your shoulder

etc...

They got bout 3 that lasted time

Come and Get Me
nikka what
Snoopy track maybe

To you maybe. Timbaland and Jay have several classics and the only ones that are cringey are the MCHG and BP3 era songs. Everything from Vol. 2 through TBA was mostly fire with maybe 2-3 that weren't.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
To you maybe. Timbaland and Jay have several classics and the only ones that are cringey are the MCHG and BP3 era songs. Everything from Vol. 2 through TBA was mostly fire with maybe 2-3 that weren't.
we can play this game

TO YOU MAYBE

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we can play this game

TO YOU MAYBE

No we can't play that game, because its Timbaland productions that are staples in his shows. And since ya'll love using Spotify numbers to prove points, look at how many Timbo joints are in his Top 10-20 songs.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
No we can't play that game, because its Timbaland productions that are staples in his shows. And since ya'll love using Spotify numbers to prove points, look at how many Timbo joints are in his Top 10-20 songs.
5 of the 14 they did together, I could play today

Ill just leave it at that