How don't more Afro-Latinx immigrate to the US?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Black people make up a good portion of Central America, Spanish Caribbean, and the northern half of South America. I find it strange that it is a lower percentage of them immigrating to the US. Or maybe it is and the Afro-Latinx population in America is just undercounted:patrice:

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Most of them are poorer than the West Indian middle class/working class who migrate, and are MUCH poorer than the average West African immigrant. There is generally no large scale Black middle class in most of Latin America, and you have entire communities who have been built and maintained on Black Latin American migrants (I don't use that afro-latino bs) boomer salaries.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
It costs money to immigrate. Most ppl immigrating to the United states are middle class in their home countries. most Afro latinx ppl across central america, south america, and the carribean are borderline destitute
I knew it cost money to immigrate but I always thought Latin America was an exception to the rule due to proximity. I mean dirt poor mestizos and indigenous people from Central America still cross the border a lot too.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Black people make up a good portion of Central America, Spanish Caribbean, and the northern half of South America. I find it strange that it is a lower percentage of them immigrating to the US. Or maybe it is and the Afro-Latinx population in America is just undercounted:patrice:

For legal immigrants, chain migration is the best chance. Meaning relatives who came here and followed laws and became citizens or stayed green card holders in good standing can sponsor relatives to come here.

There have been influxes of Afro Latina in the waves of immigration but they didn't make up the bulk of past Latino/Hispanic immigrants.

Puerto Ricans are Americans and not immigrants, and you will find scattering of Black Puerto Rocks in East Coast cities.

Also, some Spanish speaking Black immigrants are assumed to be English speaking Caribbeans.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
I knew it cost money to immigrate but I always thought Latin America was an exception to the rule due to proximity. I mean dirt poor mestizos and indigenous people from Central America still cross the border a lot too.
A lot of them try to cross into places like Mexico and Central America but usually get trapped in slums within these countries or stopped at the borders

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
For legal immigrants, chain migration is the best chance. Meaning relatives who came here and followed laws and became citizens or stayed green card holders in good standing can sponsor relatives to come here.

There have been influxes of Afro Latina in the waves of immigration but they didn't make up the bulk of past Latino/Hispanic immigrants.

Puerto Ricans are Americans and not immigrants, and you will find scattering of Black Puerto Rocks in East Coast cities.

Also, some Spanish speaking Black immigrants are assumed to be English speaking Caribbeans.
Some have West Indian roots that’s why. Some of them even speak patois (Panamanians for example).

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
A lot of them try to cross into places like Mexico and Central America but usually get trapped in slums within these countries or stopped at the borders
I do see a lot of Central Americans of all races in Tijuana so that makes sense.

Danktoker94

The Dude
Supporter
Daps
Good thread as a Second generation West Indian I've heard from a lot of fam how it's been hard getting in the USA my fam is Jamaican Btw

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
The only country where it’s black residents migrate the most are Panama. If you lived in places like NYC, Philly or Orlando you would think Panama were a Black Country.

In reality it Looks like every other Hispanic nation.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
That’s because Mexico is right there. South America however is much farther away. They can’t sneak into America on a Friday night after drinking Jarritos and Modelas like Mexicans and other Central Americans can. So they have to immigrate like everyone else does, which means you need to be middle class wherever you are coming from to afford it. And since they are black, that’s much harder to be. Especially just to come to a country that is just as bad or even worse for people like them. They see how America treats us.