How far can you separate your favorite artist(s) music from their personal beliefs?

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
I asked this on the booth. But I’m curious about TLR. How far can you separate your favorite artist personal beliefs and their music?

For ex. Rihanna (Slave Play), Kanye West (Trump Slavery comments), Jay Z (NFL), Sabrina Claudio (Racist comments towards Black women), Daniel Caesar, etc.

Ian Ahbaa f/ Area51

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
²15
Its hard for me tbh. Especially when it comes to sex crimes or snitching on others.

If I think a rapper ratted or is :sitdown:,,
I cant promote or listen to their shyt

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I can’t because I believe your art comes from your belief system. At least whenever I make something creative, it’s derived from my beliefs and I can see how my beliefs drive the creation of the subject.

Not that everyone has to be that way, it just that I feel when someone is really signifying (which in and thru art, we do), they’re doing just that; broadcasting feelings and beliefs thru artistic expression.

I think all art is like that, unintentionally.

The thing that makes it trivial or trivializes some artistic endeavors is the business aspect of it all...

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Black Drake fans have been conflicted by this since the blackface scandal exposure.

:jbhmm:

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Pretty far..usually I dont care at all unless it's something that I dont tolerate (racist, extreme ignorance). Live and let live is what I live by, if their life affects me personally then it becomes a issue but that's rare

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
If I can separate Prince from his choice to wear pants with the ass cut out... :francis:

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
I can’t because I believe your art comes from your belief system. At least whenever I make something creative, it’s derived from my beliefs and I can see how my beliefs drive the creation of the subject.

Not that everyone has to be that way, it just that I feel when someone is really signifying (which in and thru art, we do), they’re doing just that; broadcasting feelings and beliefs thru artistic expression.

I think all art is like that, unintentionally.

The thing that makes it trivial or trivializes some artistic endeavors is the business aspect of it all...

Interesting way to look at it.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven’t paid for music in almost 20 years so I can separate the shyt easily since I’m not supporting the music/artist financially...outside of 80s music and early 90s I don’t listen to too many white artist regardless of genre...r kelly even tho I recognize his talent I still never really played his music...some of the songs/lyrics are ultra-creepy in hindsight and I’d have a hard time playing them shyts if I did own them...on the other hand MJ music is forever here to stay—fukk that lol

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I’m more likely not to be as forgiving for cacs cuz 9/10 they always had those feelings.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Interesting way to look at it.

Thanks

To be honest, whenever an artist or creator is in a flow moment, they’re being the most true.

I’m not saying every piece of work is inspired, or even that every song or work you see/hear/experience is purely just the artist’s POV. Like I said, business has a way of trivializing issues because money comes into play.

But, when you’re creating, you’re being the truest and most honest you can be at that moment. That’s why I feel like if an artist puts himself in league with something (brand, idea, etc) it becomes a part of their message...