How many black psychologists do you know?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I know many who are black women. I've only met one who was a black man. He's the reason why I'm working hard to become one in the future

I always wanted to major in psychology and become a psychologist but when I met him, that's when it hit me like "damn this shyt is actually possible"
Did he give you a reason as to why there are so few black men in the field? One brother told me it was because the pay wasn't great.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Did he give you a reason as to why there are so few black men in the field? One brother told me it was because the pay wasn't great.
He basically said psychology and mental health isn't a priority or a topic of interest for many black men. Mainly because of the image society molded for us. We have to be tough and not talk about our problems among other things

Also the idea of being a successful black man for many is being a rapper, a basketball player, football player, or drug dealer. Being a therapist as a black man is taboo because the subject of mental health is taboo amongst our people. The stigma is shifting a little now but still

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
He basically said psychology and mental health isn't a priority or a topic of interest for many black men. Mainly because of the image society molded for us. We have to be tough and not talk about our problems among other things

Also the idea of being a successful black man for many is being a rapper, a basketball player, football player, or drug dealer. Being a therapist as a black man is taboo because the subject of mental health is taboo amongst our people. The stigma is shifting a little now but still.
Strawman argument for why there arent many black men in psychology specifically.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What do you think the reasoning is?

pretty sure it’s deeper than “nikkas just wanna rap and play sports”

I do understand the taboo/stigma part tho

case in point I used to try and encourage a lot of brothers to get into teaching because there is a serious lack of black men in the profession but there’s sort of a stigma there too...some of the guys I spoke to viewed dealing with kids as a “woman’s job”...some cited the low pay even tho I was making more than them as a result of the time I put in etc.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
3 people that I know.
- college roomates friend studied psychology tried to commit suicide by jumping off the Liberal Arts building after she caught her boyfriend cheating with another woman at school. She went on to earn her doctorate in psychology (or phd) whichever one is which. They ended up getting married, kids and doing well the last that I checked.

- family friend is a psychiatrist, crazier than a loon but she gives the best advice that she can't seem to follow herself. but her life was a mess for some time - 2 divorces, abusive mother growing up. She's a tenured college professor in charge of the Psychology Department now.

-another friend was a star basketball player until she became confined to a wheelchair. she went on to earn her master's degree in counseling and works with the mental challenges of athletes.

They are both very accomplished in their respective fields though. idk maybe the cliché is real - "it takes crazy to know crazy". Like you have to experience emotional or mental issues to be able to counsel and develop a rapport with people.

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
That's what I heard, starting off the money isn't that high level unless a person goes on to earn a master's degree or doctorate in psychology, or engage in a specialized field of study, write for journal publications, or work in mental health research. The men that I know are not psychologists per se, they specialize in working at crisis centers or with at risk youth, and some work at correctional facilities as counselors. Psychiatrists require even more intensive study and preparation as they can prescribe medication, psychologists cannot.