How many black psychologists do you know?

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Strawman argument for why there arent many black men in psychology specifically.
Thats not a fallacy. Western Psychology is a science that was led by the research of white men early on. As a whole, African Americans are late to the party. Freud was doing studies 20 years after slaves were freed

Not only is the stigma of discussing mental health as a black man in America real but the information about the science as a whole wasn't always accessible for black men or women in comparison to whites

I wouldn't have even taken an interest in psychology or known about it had I have grown up in a place like southeast DC or Baltimore. I would've probably had an institutionalized mentality as a result

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
How you gonna help folks when you going thru it :childplease:
Helping others is cathartic for alot of people in the field. Someone who's severely depressed can find solace in the fact that they're helping someone else not feel how they're feeling themselves

Even then, most therapists seek therapy as well

Lesfilles

Pro
Daps
None. One of my cousins failed the comp or whatever like the max times you're allowed to fail it so she had to switch to something else for her masters. A lot of blacks with the undergrad degree but you can't do much with that.

Daps
I know of 2. Mental health isn’t a big focus in our community and white folks ain’t going to talk mental issues with a black person.

Donny

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1.The stigma of Psychology being a worthless degree shies most people away from the field

2. Historically church has always been where black people turned in times of strife

3. Black people are used to ignoring trauma one of the things we’ve learned to accept as a part of life

Psychology is such an interesting field though spiritually it’s a science that holds great significance and the one thing wrong with the black community as a whole is that living in this white world has driven nikkas crazy literally so much to unpack from a sociological perspective in regards to the current state of our people.

Last edited: