How Many Homeless People Will Freeze To Death This Winter?

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/11/20/3595130/winter-homeless-deaths/

There are currently 578,424 homeless people living in the United States, a third of whom have no shelter at all. As temperature start to fall across the country, they are an extremely vulnerable population, even in areas of the country that don’t regularly see freezing temperatures like Oklahoma and California. More could soon suffer Cummings’s fate.
For example, seven homeless people died last year in California during a brutal three-week stretch as temperatures in the normally temperate Bay Area dropped to near freezing. Despite the spate of deaths, Santa Clara County officials closed the only local cold-weather shelter earlier this year and have struggled to find an adequate replacement.

Even the nation’s capital was not spared. Last year, two homeless people in Washington D.C., which has one of the highest rates of homelessness in the country, froze to death just miles from the White House.

Many cities have emergency procedures in place when temperatures drop in order to make more shelter available for people who are on the streets. But those procedures are often too restrictive to prevent otherwise-preventable deaths. For example, even though hypothermia can set in when temperatures are as high as 50 degrees Fahrenheit, many cities don’t open the doors to their winter shelters until temperatures hit freezing or below.

In Des Moines, as the National Coalition for the Homeless pointed out, temperatures have to drop all the way to 20 degrees, and in Baltimore it needs to hit 13 degrees with wind chill before winter shelter procedures are put in effect.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There myths and mis-info in this thread.

1. There isn't 500,00 homeless people, there are Millions
2. Shelters only hold a certain amount of people a night and most shelters only allow the same people in the shelters a few nights a week. Some homeless people need medical help because the mental issues and the shelters don't provide that.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
we wouldn't treat animals this way. we should either put them down or give them help.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The real question is what are you going to do about it?

Since you believe in the system, why don't you contact your local representative to push for places they can go or create something. Oh wait you are about the market system, you don't care about anything that doesn't effect your stock shares portfolio.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
So how do you help? I ask myself that every day when I pass by a sea of homeless people in LA. I give what I can to one person and there's 50 more people behind that person. Many are mentally ill and/or drug-addicted, so not sure what I'm supposed to do because I'm not sure what I'm doing is helping. Every now and again too, you have people begging who drive better cars than you.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Since you believe in the system, why don't you contact your local representative to push for places they can go or create something. Oh wait you are about the market system, you don't care about anything that doesn't effect your stock shares portfolio.
I have zero faith in the system, I donate my money and time to help those in need. :ufdup:

... and I dont believe in using the system to make people do what i think is right.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Yes, I'm sure that's a much more effective, efficient and humane way to deal with the situation than just building a sufficient amount of shelters and opening them more often.
Its the most effective, efficient, humane way to deal with the 'problem'. The issue is most people just dont give a sh*t.
You're position is we should make them give a sh*t/ignore that they don't care and take their money for the cause, while I'm content to just do my part, and respect their liberty.