How Richard Pryor the goat if Paul Mooney was writing his jokes?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I'm expecting the answer to be "well all comedians get their jokes written for them"
I can picture Kevin Hart getting jokes from red cup boyz. But who writes Dave Chappelle jokes? you gonna say Neil Brennan?
What about Bill Cosby, Eddie, Chris Rock?
Cmon I doubt these dudes have someone writing their stand up material

Also it's basically an accepted fact that Richard Pryor was bisexual on some level. He blamed it on drugs but he admitted fukking dudes. How was he the idol of early 80s Eddie who use to say fakkit in his routines? I know it's rumored that Eddie is DL gay too but if true that even more reason for him to distance himself from having Pryor as an idol you'd think

And shyt if Mooney really was Pryor ghost writer why are all his stand ups wack as hell. Dude been doing comedy for like 50 yrs and the only funny joke he has is that saying nikka while brushing his teeth one.

I think Pryor was funny and all that but given the above facts I wonder why it's just accepted that dude was the goat comedian

Last edited:

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
You sort of answered the question in your own post. It's something a lot of people will lack, charisma and stage presence. You give those jokes to your average comedian at the time and I don't think they would have ever reached Pryor's level. Pryor was more than a standup comedian too, his movie career was just as impressive.

edit: Also, I only just recently went through all of Pryor's tapes, you have to understand that most comedy is only funny because we can relate to what is being said at the time. Pryror was giving these shows long before my time and at points I had no idea of what he was joking about or making references too and I still found him hilarious. I listened to the audio tapes too, no video. It's obviously all subjective but I think you can easily make a case for him being the greatest, all these years that have passed and he is still talked about.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I'm expecting the answer to be "well all comedians get their jokes written for them"
I can picture Kevin Hart getting jokes from red cup boyz. But who writes Dave Chappelle jokes? you gonna say Neil Brennan?
What about Bill Cosby, Eddie, Chris Rock?
Cmon I doubt these dudes have someone writing their stand up material

Also it's basically an accepted fact that Richard Pryor was bisexual on some level. He blamed it on drugs but he admitted fukking dudes. How was he the idol of early 80s Eddie who use to say fakkit in his routines? I know it's rumored that Eddie is DL gay too but if true that even more reason for him to distance himself from having Pryor as an idol you'd think

And shyt if Mooney really was Pryor ghost writer why are all his stand ups wack as hell. Dude been doing comedy for like 50 yrs and the only funny joke he has is that saying nikka while brushing his teeth one.

I think Pryor was funny and all that but given the above facts I wonder why it's just accepted that dude was the goat comedian
Can we bring the rep system back so I can neg him?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
You sort of answered the question in your own post. It's something a lot of people will lack, charisma and stage presence. You give those jokes to your average comedian at the time and I don't think they would have ever reached Pryor's level

Writing the joke=\=delivering the joke

The way comedians came after Mencia I have a hard time believing no one cares as long as you have good delivery. If that's the real reason no one brings it up about Pryor then so be it, just seems strange.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
The way comedians came after Mencia I have a hard time believing no one cares as long as you have good delivery. If that's the real reason no one brings it up about Pryor then so be it, just seems strange.
You're reaching.
Mencia didn't have writers.
He STOLE jokes from other comedians.
There's a huge difference

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Takes a strong man, far less a strong actor or comedian to have da balls and respect to hire/give a shot to Paul Mooney and let him write for u. Mooney is Str8, unfiltered tells da real. Whether u got da chops 2 deliver it or not. Jus attempted and jus fukkin wit Mooney is enuff respect for me.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
You're reaching.
Mencia didn't have writers.
He STOLE jokes from other comedians.
There's a huge difference

I'm not reaching, obviously there is a difference between stealing a joke and having someone else write one for you. i guess my point is that the mencia shyt had me thinking comics had standards that valued creativity, the "craft", and authenticity. If yall are saying no one gives a fukk a long as you say the joke funny (and didn't steal it) then so be it. PERSONALLY i can't label some one GOAT of any individual based art form if they weren't solely responsible for the creation of the art