How was it when The College Dropout came out?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Then you must sound like that nikka when you talk or rap.
I’ve been revisiting some of old Ye. That’s funny, I don’t think he’s gay. I think he’s just always been a little weird. He’s a musical savant. You can’t just excel at one thing so well and not be a little different. That shyt takes so much time.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I do not fly off the handle with any generalizations, I tell exactly what happened, every time. I don’t do any revisionist history like everybody else does on here. Pre-2006, every region was getting shine and spotlight. That isn’t debatable at all.

That's not what you said.

You said "everybody was listening to everything".

Just like a few weeks ago, you claimed that everybody watched wrestling in the late 90s.

Not trying to bust your balls, but you seriously don't see how ridiculous these statements look?

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
I never a single Kanye track until that one Boondocks Golddigger episode :jbhmm:

Although I vaguely remember seeing him on Chapelle show when I was like 8, immediately being like :unimpressed:, and changing the channel

I was born in 98 so around that time Chingy was weening off and 50 cent was running shyt followed by that whole Texas/Southern rap thing.

Kanye never seemed to really have it like that for my generation until he dropped Power

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I never a single Kanye track until that one Boondocks Golddigger episode :jbhmm:

Although I vaguely remember seeing him on Chapelle show when I was like 8, immediately being like :unimpressed:, and changing the channel

I was born in 98 so around that time Chingy was still in rotation until 50 cent dropped and was running shyt followed by that whole Texas/Southern rap shyt.

Kanye never seemed to really have it like that for my generation until he dropped Power

i was literally at the donda show with dudes your age saying they like Kanye better than Jay and Kanye the GOAT
:mjlol:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
i was literally at the donda show with dudes your age saying they like Kanye better than Jay and Kanye the GOAT
:mjlol:
We ain’t listen to Jay :russ:

Unless you had older siblings or some shyt. I mean I remember Big Pimpin, that one song he did with Beyoncé, and those annoying ass Magna Carta commercials from 2013 :mjlol:

Kanye on the other hand is way more culturally relevant to my age group just because he was more popular. Album after album. And add in Yeezys, modern sneaker culture, all that shyt.

Jay Z was :flabset: status he legit didn’t release anything revenant during my era. Apart from the shyt he did with Kanye :heh:

I’m from Cali tho we did not fukk with East Coast rap at all apart from the super hits you’d hear on the radio and G-unit.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
That's not what you said.

You said "everybody was listening to everything".

Just like a few weeks ago, you claimed that everybody watched wrestling in the late 90s.

Not trying to bust your balls, but you seriously don't see how ridiculous these statements look?

Everybody was watching wrestling in the late 90s though. That was literally it’s mainstream peak where people could casually talk about it in public without having to have second hand embarrassment like they do today, so you basically aided my point when you posted this.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Everybody was watching wrestling in the late 90s though. That was literally it’s mainstream peak where people could casually talk about it in public without having to have second hand embarrassment like they do today, so you basically aided my point when you posted this.
This is true. Late 90's was the era where wrestling was most mainstream and no one that watched it had any shame about it

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It was a big defining hip hop moment but Ye didn't start crossing over until his next album and each one after.

I met him during the college drop out tour and my high school aged co-workers had no idea who he was in 2005

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
It was highly anticipated. I remember he put out this mixtape with Akademiks (clothing line) leading up to the release of the album. He was also doing these small club dates with John Legend playing the keyboard. John would play the slowed down version of ‘Through the wire’ before the sample came on.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

I already shut you down on this exact topic months ago.

Get away from me.

Edit: that wasn't wrestling mainstream peak either. Maybe for YOUR time.

This is true. Late 90's was the era where wrestling was most mainstream and no one that watched it had any shame about it

"No one that watched it"? That doesn't line up with him saying everybody watched it, so why are you cosigning?

And yes, people were indeed looking down on it. Yall just weren't cognizant enough to realize it back then.