Howard U. no longer under financial monitoring from the Dept. of Ed.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
SAME ENERGY

THE FINANCIAL PROBLEMS WERE COVERED BY THE MAINSTREAM PRESS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...on-department-puts-it-list-it-doesnt-want-be/

BUT WHEN THE SCHOOL CORRECTS THE PROBLEMS AND GETS THE RESTRICTIONS LIFTED, THAT DOESN'T MAKE THE NEWS

Howard Removed from HCM1 Status, Returned to Advanced Payment Method
By Donovan Thomas, News Editor
aMRYfDBCHL4TVgOENi5JhjpAsfpKFvrNL4W81fL95DGargU17vcW7z9xWasKRrmFgj5_TGKQelQa7nNh69v7J-usvikfjITimr0Hs8UMQxGsJAAk5T8ofinMYy6lh2h3pIEfGy6B

Photo courtesy of Getty Images
Howard University was returned to the advanced method of payment effective immediately on Dec. 17, 2019. Under this new method of payment, the university can now withdraw Title IV funds without approval from the Philadelphia School Participation Division. Howard University is no longer required to make disbursements to eligible students with institutional funds receiving funds from the Department of Education.

“We’ve been very diligent in partnering with the Department of Education to improve our Office of Financial Aid to more effectively administer aid and improve levels of service provided,” said President Wayne A. I. Frederick. “We will continue to work closely with the Department of Education and other entities to improve service and continue to provide the world-class education that our students deserve.”

An extensive program review of the university by the Department of Education began in April 2018. Later in August of 2018, the department placed Howard University on Heightened Cash Monitoring 2 status to examine the management of the institution’s financial aid. Howard University was later removed from the Heightened Cash Monitoring 2 (HCM2) method of payment and elevated to Heightened Cash Monitoring 1 (HCM1) on June 27, 2019.

The university has taken various efforts since April 2018 to improve the Office of Financial Aid. Some notable changes include the hiring of a Director of Financial Aid, Associate Provost for Enrollment Management and additional staffing in the Financial Aid Office.

The approval for all University grant awards is now handled by the Budget Office (for unrestricted institutional aid) and the Controller’s Office (for donor-directed aid) prior to being awarded by the Financial Aid Office. Additionally, a limited number of university officials have access to the Banner Financial Aid module. Lastly, Financial Aid Services, an outside firm, has undertaken a comprehensive range of tasks related to the improvement of Howard’s administration of financial aid.

“In alignment with our five-year strategic plan, our journey of continuous progress is well underway. Further improvements and enhancements continue to occur in our enrollment management area, which includes our financial aid office,” said Frederick. “This demonstrable success is testimony to the incredible leadership by senior members of my team and the Office of Financial Aid to quickly implement enhancements to move Howard Forward.”

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Good for them.

Should’ve never been in that type of situation especially being one of the flagship HBCUs. Can’t have a school and portray a message of teaching your students about tangibles when you’re actively fumbling the bag.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Howard , and other schools are on notice though. Dept.of Education threatening to pull the plug should make these schools clean house of the incompetent people.

Also a big and I mean big problem is that many HBCUs are state schools.

Do you know who appoints people to the board at state schools? The governor of that state. Do you know who hires and fires the university president? The board!

So long story short you see the influence on this at HBCUs. So for example the president of texas southern was just kicked out by the board. Even though he fixed the budget, increased graduation rates and increased endowment / donation rates over the last few years.

Edit - I added that the board fires and hires the president. I made a mistake in the original post.

Last edited:

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Howard , and other schools are on notice though. Dept.of Education threatening to pull the plug should make these schools clean house of the incompetent people.

nah like i said it happens at interval. they'll clean house and bring new people in, get back in good shape financially, then the cycle starts again. i watched it happen while I was at SCSU and have seen it happen at too many of our schools since. a while ago a buncha ex-presidents from HBCU's did a panel where they talked about the problems our schools are having and I distinctly remember one of em alluding to the fact that most of our schools have people over the finances who are using those funds, but not for the school. he couldn't just come out and say it but i knew what he was getting at.

now when i hear about one of our schools in financial trouble i go look and see who's in key positions in the financial dept.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps

Do you know who appoints people to the board at state schools? The governor of that state. Do you know who hires and fires the university president? The state governor.

So long story short you see the influence on this at HBCUs. So for example the president of texas southern was just kicked out by the board. Even though he fixed the budget, increased graduation rates and increased endowment / donation rates over the last few years.

they did the same thing at State. once while i was there and again that I'm aware of not so long ago.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Do you know who appoints people to the board at state schools? The governor of that state. Do you know who hires and fires the university president? The board!

Edit - I added that the board fires and hires the president. I made a mistake in the original post.
thanks

I read that an HBCU president was removed under shaky circumstances.It was TSU.

I've said it before, and people thought I was copping pleas but in no other occupation does more straight fukkery occur than in education.

The fiasco in MD over the state sabotaging HBCU degree programs, getting sued, and then lowballing them on the settlement offer also points to how vulnerable state school HBCUs are.

Glad I follow serious media so that I can be informed.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
nah like i said it happens at interval. they'll clean house and bring new people in, get back in good shape financially, then the cycle starts again. i watched it happen while I was at SCSU and have seen it happen at too many of our schools since. a while ago a buncha ex-presidents from HBCU's did a panel where they talked about the problems our schools are having and I distinctly remember one of em alluding to the fact that most of our schools have people over the finances who are using those funds, but not for the school. he couldn't just come out and say it but i knew what he was getting at.

now when i hear about one of our schools in financial trouble i go look and see who's in key positions in the financial dept.
Thanks for the personal insight on the topic.
There is going to be a contraction of HBCUs in the future. The writing is on the walll for different reasons.
The ones that can't get effective leadership in place will lose accreditation and then close their doors.

Morris Brown is slowly being resurrected. Feds had Howard under a microscope. Next schools to allow these types of problems to develop are going to be shyt out of luck.
In fact, if it happens, please remember and bump this thread so that people allow the school to go under. And I hope the culprits get AIRED OUT.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
thanks

I read that an HBCU president was removed under shaky circumstances.It was TSU.

I've said it before, and people thought I was copping pleas but in no other occupation does more straight fukkery occur than in education.

The fiasco in MD over the state sabotaging HBCU degree programs, getting sued, and then lowballing them on the settlement offer also points to how vulnerable state school HBCUs are.

Glad I follow serious media so that I can be informed.

All this. Same shyt happened in the 2000s in Mississippi. The state was fukking over the black schools with money. The HBCUs take the state to court in which the state agrees to pay what they owe the HBCUs.

But the state puts a stipulation that the HBCUs have to increase non black enrollment from around 4% to like 7% (in a state that is predominantly white and black) in order to get the money that the state cheated them from getting.

So the Mississippi HBCUs had to then target non black folks from outside of America for scholarships to get that non black enrollment up. Which was actually smart cause the state knew it would be difficult to get the non black enrollment up which would have been impossible in Mississippi.