Howard U. no longer under financial monitoring from the Dept. of Ed.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for the personal insight on the topic.
There is going to be a contraction of HBCUs in the future. The writing is on the wal for different reasons.
The ones that can't get effective leadership in place will lose accredidation and then close their doors.

Morris Brown is slowly being resurrected. Feds had Howard under a microscope. Next school to allow these types of problems to develop are going to be shyt out of luck.
In fact, if it happens, please remember and bump this thread so that people allow the school to go under. And Ihope the culprits get AIRED OUT.

The big ones will be fine such as howard and etc. Even though howard had issues they are too connected from a political to a money maker standpoint.

But the smaller ones will struggle and eventually be absorbed or discontinue.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
So the Mississippi HBCUs had to then target non black folks from outside of America for scholarships to get that non black enrollment up. Which was actually smart cause the state knew it would be difficult to get the non black enrollment up which would have been impossible in Mississippi.
Interesting.
One of my pump fake thread titles was this.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/nfl-rookie-speaks-about-his-hbcu-journey.734976/

In the scenario in MS you're talking about, I hope they recruited and converted European soccer players

Last edited:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
All this. Same shyt happened in the 2000s in Mississippi. The state was fukking over the black schools with money. The HBCUs take the state to court in which the state agrees to pay what they owe the HBCUs.

But the state puts a stipulation that the HBCUs have to increase non black enrollment from around 4% to like 7% (in a state that is predominantly white and black) in order to get the money that the state cheated them from getting.

So the Mississippi HBCUs had to then target non black folks from outside of America for scholarships to get that non black enrollment up. Which was actually smart cause the state knew it would be difficult to get the non black enrollment up which would have been impossible in Mississippi.

I remember a couple years back the state of Mississippi wanted to merge Jackson, Alcorn and Valley into 1 school or something.

White politicians always trying to fukk with our HBCUs

And thats a smart thing the schools did. I know at Alabama State, majority of our baseball and golf team were hispanics and white. Had a few white cats in the band and on the football team as well.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
nah like i said it happens at interval. they'll clean house and bring new people in, get back in good shape financially, then the cycle starts again. i watched it happen while I was at SCSU and have seen it happen at too many of our schools since. a while ago a buncha ex-presidents from HBCU's did a panel where they talked about the problems our schools are having and I distinctly remember one of em alluding to the fact that most of our schools have people over the finances who are using those funds, but not for the school. he couldn't just come out and say it but i knew what he was getting at.

now when i hear about one of our schools in financial trouble i go look and see who's in key positions in the financial dept.
Unfortunately, didn't have to wait even a month to read about the next school in financial problems.
============================================
With $8 Million Deficit, Bethune-Cookman Faces Potential Accreditation Loss
February 4, 2020 | : by Jessica Ruf

Print

Bethune-Cookman University (B-CU) a private historically Black university must close its $8 million budget deficit by March if it is to remain in operation, reported the Daytona Beach News-Journal. The school, founded in 1904, is currently in its second year of academic probation.

Dr. Brent Chrite

“2020 will be a pivotal year in history of B-CU,” President Dr. Brent Chrite wrote in a letter to alumni last week. “It will be the year our beloved university prepared to close its doors or it will be the year we turned a corner and began moving toward an exciting future.”

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission of Colleges has requested that the school account for its operating deficit of $8 million by the time it submits its reaccreditation application in March. If unable to, B-CU will lose its accreditation and, thus, most of its federal funding— roughly $14.5 million in grants and financial aid that, Chrite said, the school cannot survive without.

Even with the 2020 enrollment down 20% from this time last year, Chrite said the school has no plans to eliminate any academic programs but is considering working with the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference to remove certain athletic programs. In addition, he requested the financial help of 15,000 alumni, stressing the importance of saving HBCUs.

In a Facebook post, he wrote, “While this is obviously serious, I have no doubt that we will prevail. I have full faith in our alumni community and I am excited about this institution’s future.””

===============================================

Has anybody read more about the root of the problems at BCU?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
All this. Same shyt happened in the 2000s in Mississippi. The state was fukking over the black schools with money. The HBCUs take the state to court in which the state agrees to pay what they owe the HBCUs.

But the state puts a stipulation that the HBCUs have to increase non black enrollment from around 4% to like 7% (in a state that is predominantly white and black) in order to get the money that the state cheated them from getting.

article from today

Report: Texas HBCUs receive $2,500 less per student than flagship schools

Most Popular
Never Miss A Story

Subscribe to Austin American-Statesman

Our Picks

Upcoming Events

Posted at 8:59 AM

Students at historically black colleges and universities in Texas receive a disproportionately lower amount of money from the state compared with Texas’ largest flagship institutions, despite enrolling more low-income and diverse students, according to a study.

The report released Tuesday by the the Center for Public Policy Priorities, a left-leaning Austin think tank, compared Texas’ two public HBCUs — Prairie View A&M University and Texas Southern University — with the University of Texas and Texas A&M University. The center found that the two HBCUs receive about $2,500 less per student than UT and Texas A&M.

“HBCUs are doing great work investing in students and serving students from historically underrepresented backgrounds,” said Ashley Williams, author of the study and a policy analyst at the center. “And the state could be doing more to help these institutions do just that.”

In Texas, college funding starts with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, which determines what public institutions will get using several formulas. Most funding comes from an operations formula, which calculates the number of credit hours an institution offers multiplied by a funding rate set by the state government.

Based on that formula and others, HBCUs received on average $10,506 per student from the Texas Legislature in 2019 while the flagships received about $12,958.

A spokeswoman for the coordinating board said Prairie View, along with UT and A&M, receives additional excellence funding from the Permanent University Fund, which generates the money through the University Lands in West Texas. The state also provides Prairie View and Texas Southern with nonformula funding through the Academic Development Initiative. In the next biennium (2020-21) each will receive $25 million as part of a May 2000 agreement between Texas the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.

Williams points out that Texas’ public HBCUs enroll a greater number of low-income students than UT or Texas A&M. In 2019, between 63% and 66% of students at Texas HBCUs had financial need, compared with 23% and 22% at UT and Texas A&M, respectively.

“Increased state investment in HBCUs would directly translate to increased investment in low-income and historically underrepresented students who make up an ever-increasing majority of Texas students and represent the future of our workforce,” Williams writes. “Still, lawmakers fail to prioritize HBCUs in funding decisions.”

Furthermore, Prairie View and Texas Southern use proportionally more of their funds on student services and scholarships than the big universities, according to the report. An average of 18.5% of total funds was spent on student services at HBCUs in 2019, while 10% of total funds for UT and Texas A&M went to such services.

“As more first-generation college students and more students from low-income backgrounds enter higher education, colleges will need more resources to provide those students with the necessary supports to ensure they can be as successful as their peers who have had lifelong access to increased resources,” Williams writes.

In fall 2018, African American students represented about 4.8% of all students enrolled at UT, 3.4% of students at Texas A&M, 84.5% of students at Prairie View and 78.6% of students at Texas Southern. Although HBCUs specifically have a lack of funding, higher education money in general has been hard to come by in recent years in Texas. A study released in October found tuition costs in the state have significantly grown as the Legislature has divested from universities.

“As we are having conversations about how we may change formulas, maybe there are chances to think about how, in an equitable way, we will give more resources to students that need help,” Williams said.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Unfortunately, didn't have to wait even a month to read about the next school in financial problems.
============================================
With $8 Million Deficit, Bethune-Cookman Faces Potential Accreditation Loss
February 4, 2020 | : by Jessica Ruf

Print

Bethune-Cookman University (B-CU) a private historically Black university must close its $8 million budget deficit by March if it is to remain in operation, reported the Daytona Beach News-Journal. The school, founded in 1904, is currently in its second year of academic probation.

Dr. Brent Chrite

“2020 will be a pivotal year in history of B-CU,” President Dr. Brent Chrite wrote in a letter to alumni last week. “It will be the year our beloved university prepared to close its doors or it will be the year we turned a corner and began moving toward an exciting future.”

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission of Colleges has requested that the school account for its operating deficit of $8 million by the time it submits its reaccreditation application in March. If unable to, B-CU will lose its accreditation and, thus, most of its federal funding— roughly $14.5 million in grants and financial aid that, Chrite said, the school cannot survive without.

Even with the 2020 enrollment down 20% from this time last year, Chrite said the school has no plans to eliminate any academic programs but is considering working with the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference to remove certain athletic programs. In addition, he requested the financial help of 15,000 alumni, stressing the importance of saving HBCUs.

In a Facebook post, he wrote, “While this is obviously serious, I have no doubt that we will prevail. I have full faith in our alumni community and I am excited about this institution’s future.””

===============================================

Has anybody read more about the root of the problems at BCU?

Questions continue for financial future of Bethune-Cookman University

from Jan of last year.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Thank you. wow, just wow.
Reading your previous post about HBCU money issues threw me off at first, but I'm smart enough to fall back and defer to people with direct experience about topics being discussed.
At first, I thought you you being callous.I was wrong.
The "hat in hand, please donate to save us" articles and pleas NEVER EVER mention the shady or outright criminal actions that lead to the financial problems.

25 MILLION? Missing? Not 25,000 but $25,000,000?

How can anybody in good faith donate to BCU?

In the Root section thread about the AUC possibly merging, when the topic turned to financial health of schools I made a comment about leadership. My family is from a developing country. Even factoring in all the external factors, that country suffers from POOR leadership. No matter what else changes, corrupt or incompetent leadership at the top cripples the country.A stronger country can survive a weak or ineffective leader.But the stakes are much higher in poor countries, and can literally be the difference between people surviving or not.

These smaller schools, HBCUs and pwi, can't afford corrupt or incompetent leadership.The Black media that still exists has to hold people in these leadership positions accountable WHILE these "money disappears incidents" are happening.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: This reminds me whatever happened to Tyrone anyway? I remembered he graduated and poof he vanished