Hypothetical: How would a Mayweather fight do on National TV?

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
A Floyd fight would do great numbers on CBS but you know that PPV money is where it's at. But one of those wars like Gatti vs Ward is what would really help boxing get the causal fan if went the network tv route.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
mayweather/pacquio could probably do super bowl numbers. right now the biggest mayweather fight is with canelo alvarez and that would probably be nba finals type ratings good but not great.

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
canelo/floyd would outdraw the nba finals with good weekend placement. put that shyt on a summer holiday weekend like 4th of july or some shyt where its a standalone event, and people are already having get togethers and bbqs, and it would do massive numbers. also lol @ nba finals numbers being "good but not great." networks are bidding large amounts for sports because they do draw, and they draw the best type of viewer as far as advertising goes. what dude from the ages of 16-45 on a july 4th weekend wouldnt crack a brew with a bunch of buddies to watch the fight on free tv?

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
canelo/floyd would outdraw the nba finals with good weekend placement. put that shyt on a summer holiday weekend like 4th of july or some shyt where its a standalone event, and people are already having get togethers and bbqs, and it would do massive numbers. also lol @ nba finals numbers being "good but not great." networks are bidding large amounts for sports because they do draw, and they draw the best type of viewer as far as advertising goes. what dude from the ages of 16-45 on a july 4th weekend wouldnt crack a brew with a bunch of buddies to watch the fight on free tv?

This shyt just makes too much sense to not be happening right now.

even if you aren't getting PPV buys, companies will gladly pony up a shytload of dollars for commercials in spots between fights.

30 second ads for the super bowl this year were $4 M's... even if they went for half or 1/4 of that, 2-3 minute TV Breaks between matches would still bring in more than most PPV buys will.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
I would think because they can't really price the commercials. They normally charge slots by views of the program history. seeing how you would have no clue how many people would tune in or how long the fight would be seems like no way to pay the fighters millions like with ppv

Gold Chain

LeBron Expert
Daps
Reppin
Cincinnati Ohio
Well because its usually PPV. People would probably tune in due to it being free. So i mean shyt would probably make just as much as PPV does.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I would think because they can't really price the commercials. They normally charge slots by views of the program history. seeing how you would have no clue how many people would tune in or how long the fight would be seems like no way to pay the fighters millions like with ppv

Giving the it two performances, one at the beginning before the card starts...and one before the main event would give stability to the entire event..

you could easily do a trial run, see what the viewership looks like, then set a $ amount based on that for what commercials would cost from matches 1-3,4-5 and right before the main event.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
He'd make more money doing PPV than a CBS fight, so that's the only answer that REALLY matters to him. :yeshrug:

I can't imagine it doing 25 million viewers and damn sure not Super Bowl numbers like other people have suggested.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
I did a little research (key word = little), and the last time CBS aired a prize fight before last year was Bernard Hopkins-Glen Johnson in 1997. I couldn't find the ratings for it but it wouldn't matter anyway because neither was a draw at the time, and B-Hop never made it to Floyd level draws anyway.

And I didn't realize they had a fighter die on CBS before. :leon:

It's damn near impossible to predict. It's really just guesswork at this point; there's no real frame of reference to know how well he'd do on CBS.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Bars and mother's groups are why this will not occur anymore in the foreseeable future.
Mother's groups, restricted the availability of boxing, military, and certain types of physical violence during certain hours.
Plus, the cable and ppv outlets make a huge load of money in licensing to ppv buys.

what the networks do not understand is.
If you never market on national tv to build a draw.
When that draw loses its largest relevant draw.
That business model is DEad as far as re-establishing it.
After, mayweather boxing dies and will never come back.
As the principles that made boxing a draw.
No longer exist,....
One of which being boxing as a school trained sport and activity.
Which, is how the ppv draw for ring sports was created in the first place.
You can thank mother groups for that.
As, they are the ones who restricted, limited and eliminated self defense and box in from school curriculum.

Art Barr

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Bars and mother's groups are why this will not occur anymore in the foreseeable future.
Mother's groups, restricted the availability of boxing, military, and certain types of physical violence during certain hours.
Plus, the cable and ppv outlets make a huge load of money in licensing to ppv buys.

what the networks do not understand is.
If you never market on national tv to build a draw.
When that draw loses its largest relevant draw.
That business model is DEad as far as re-establishing it.
After, mayweather boxing dies and will never come back.
As the principles that made boxing a draw.
No longer exist,....
One of which being boxing as a school trained sport and activity.
Which, is how the ppv draw for ring sports was created in the first place.
You can thank mother groups for that.
As, they are the ones who restricted, limited and eliminated self defense and box in from school curriculum.

Art Barr
:dead: