"I am the woman in the 'racist Dove ad'. I am not a victim"

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I am the woman in the 'racist Dove ad'. I am not a victim | Lola Ogunyemi

"If I had even the slightest inclination that I would be portrayed as inferior, or as the “before” in a before and after shot, I would have been the first to say an emphatic “no”. I would have (un)happily walked right off set and out of the door. That is something that goes against everything I stand for."

:ehh:

"However, the experience I had with the Dove team was positive. I had an amazing time on set. All of the women in the shoot understood the concept and overarching objective – to use our differences to highlight the fact that all skin deserves gentleness."

:jbhmm:

"I remember all of us being excited at the idea of wearing nude T-shirts and turning into one another. We weren’t sure how the final edit was going to look, nor which of us would actually be featured in it, but everyone seemed to be in great spirits during filming, including me."

:patrice:

"Then the first Facebook ad was released: a 13-second video clip featuring me, a white woman, and an Asian woman removing our nude tops and changing into each other. I loved it. My friends and family loved it. People congratulated me for being the first to appear, for looking fabulous, and for representing Black Girl Magic. I was proud."
:francis:

"I can see how the snapshots that are circulating the web have been misinterpreted, considering the fact that Dove has faced a backlash in the past for the exact same issue. There is a lack of trust here, and I feel the public was justified in their initial outrage. Having said that, I can also see that a lot has been left out. The narrative has been written without giving consumers context on which to base an informed opinion."

:snoop:

EDIT:

The ad in question @StarGirl @Sagat @DPresidential @Geoffrey_Chaucer

Thanks @R.E.N. Spells Ren

Last edited:

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse

"I am a Nigerian woman, born in London and raised in Atlanta."

Nigerians be c00ning.
Londoners be c00ning.
GayTL folk be conning. :dead:

dove4.png

Lola Ogunyemi

#lolaogunyemi hashtag on Twitter

Last edited:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I'd rather see this site's response to the Guardian comments section :mjgrin:

'The Left has made racism meaningless' and so on I bet

IrhamEhsan21
    2d ago
    Well done to you. This ad has been taken out of context and has been completely misconstrued to fit some peoples idea of racism. I've seen the entire ad and nothing about it offends me, as a WoC. Keep up the good work and don't let a viral blip get in your way :smile:
:mjpls:

EDIT:

kindablue
    2d ago
    All those bandwagon jumpers who joined in the outragefest are looking a bit silly now. Thank you Lola for setting the record straight.

Facebook Twitter

Gunome kindablue
      2d ago
      Unfortunately, I don't think this article will have the reach of the original published yesterday in the Guardian, and which bounced all over social media.

The company have already apologised, so the disingenous bleaters have won.

Facebook Twitter

CodeIs45100 Gunome
      2d ago
      The company have already apologised, so the disingenous bleaters have won.

The bleaters are in a shrinking minority. I reckon this was a calculated move to gain some 'support' among the silent majority.

Facebook Twitter

hubbahubba kindablue
      2d ago
      As Bill Maher points out, whilst the liberals are frothing at the mouth at artificial injustices over here, a right-wing, misogynistic, racist screwball has entered the White House over there

Last edited:

roadblocktdx

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is this c00ning when the white woman turned into a Mexican? Its not like she washed away the blackness and the ad ends with a statement of how much more beautiful someone is. Am I missing something or has the response been over reactionary?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Found it :mjgrin:

UnstoppableSteve
2d ago
So, hang on a minute...

I thought from the coverage of this controversy that the advertisement showed a black woman turning into a white woman, with the message being some kind of stupid colonial-era joke about how washing with soap will "clean" a black person into a white person. Clearly tasteless and inappropriate.

But this article gently lets slip that the advert shows a bunch of women of different races turning into each other by switching T-shirts in a kind of "we're all part of the family of mankind", nice friendly message.

So, can we conclude that the "racist" Dove advert isn't actually racist and the uproar is just the usual "woke" Twitter lynch-mob trying to outdo each other in the attention-seeking olympics? If so, surely the media should take the responsible approach of reporting this as "Silly people on Twitter need to pull their socks up, get off their computers and do something useful like mowing their grandma's lawn" instead of encouraging them with the attention they crave.

Facebook Twitter

cyber1972 UnstoppableSteve
    2d ago
    can we conclude that the "racist" Dove advert isn't actually racist and the uproar is just the usual "woke" Twitter lynch-mob trying to outdo each other in the attention-seeking olympics?

Yes. This, exactly. There is nothing remotely 'racist' about the advert or the intent and Dove had nothing to apologise for. The full ad's on Youtube.

People shrieked their outrage based upon entirely misleading screencaps.

Facebook Twitter

HoolahoopPie UnstoppableSteve
    2d ago
    Yeah that is exactly what I assumed too. However it seems there are a number of girls in the advert and the white girl 'turns into' a darker skinned girl.

I don't know where this over sensitivity ends. At what point do you have to just stop worrying about offending everybody and let people be able to just communicate to each other and try and understand intent instead of imagined offence

Facebook Twitter

pnuttz UnstoppableSteve
    2d ago
    Well done, you have correctly understood the above article. There was a fuss made over the ad, which was thought to be racist, and now Ms Ogunyemi, who was a model in the ad, has cleared things up by pointing out that it was all a misunderstanding.

Facebook Twitter