‘I Would Have Fought You’: LeVar Burton Claps Back at Troll After Learning His Great-Great-Grandfather Was a White Confederate Soldier

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
My grandfather said he had some Cherokee but it’s probably like how Joe Jackson got a Cherokee ancestor. Btw fukk that tribe
Same. The Cherokee was like the MAGA of native american tribes. Did a lot of foul shyt to black americans.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Believe or don’t
I don’t give a fukk and I ain’t got no reason to lie to internet people

There are actual black people that are enrolled as members of various tribes. Historically, many of the five civilized tribes owned slaves. So the courts ruled that the descendants of the enslaved held by these tribes can claim tribal membership and reap whatever benefits they may glean.

Then you have actual state recognized Native American tribes along the Eastern seaboard who have been fighting for federal recognition for over two centuries. The reason why the federal government will not grant them recognition is because all the evidence, historical and genetic, points to them not being of Native origin.

Most black people who hail from the mid-atlantic or southeast claim a connection to one of these tribes.

Lumbees
Brass Ankles
Beaver Creek Indians
Red Bones
Maroons
Siouan
Tuscarora
Waccamaws
Saponis
Croatans

The thing is, these tribes were never Indian to begin with. It's the same group of people in different locations. Mixed race black people that fled to the wilderness and took on native identity to protect themselves from racial enslavement.

Like I said in my other post, my maternal side had a narrative that was being told in the 1800s that they were blackfoot.

Blackfoot was an actual legit NA tribe but historically it was a nickname of the Lumbees in the Carolinas.

Here is another one of my Lumbee cousins.

A DNA relative of mine.

Screenshot-20200704-110205.png

Screenshot-20200704-110256.png

Screenshot-20200704-110312-2.png

You can see, my native is more than hers, which comes from my father's side who were descendants of the Chickasaw. And there's a whole story about that.

Point is, if you have a significant amount of native DNA (anything over 2%), then you shouldn't have to look back that far (3-5 generations) to find the person that is native. You should be able to easily pinpoint them and trace them back to the Dawes Rolls like we were able to do on my father's side.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
There are actual black people that are enrolled as members of various tribes. Historically, many of the five civilized tribes owned slaves. So the courts ruled that the descendants of the enslaved held by these tribes can claim tribal membership and reap whatever benefits they may glean.

Then you have actual state recognized Native American tribes along the Eastern seaboard who have been fighting for federal recognition for over two centuries. The reason why the federal government will not grant them recognition is because all the evidence, historical and genetically, points to them not being of Native origin.

Most black people who hail from the mid-atlantic or southeast claim a connection to one of these tribes.

Lumbees
Brass Ankles
Beaver Creek Indians
Red Bones
Maroons
Siouan
Tuscarora
Waccamaws
Saponis
Croatans

The thing is, these tribes were never Indian to begin with. It's the same group of people in different locations. Mixed race black people that fled to the wilderness and took on native identity to protect themselves from racial enslavement.

Like I said in my other post, my maternal side had a narrative that was being told in the 1800s that they were blackfoot.

Blackfoot was an actual legit NA tribe but historically it was a nickname of the Lumbees in the Carolinas.

Here is another one of my Lumbee cousins.

You can see, my native is more than hers, which comes from my father's side who were descendants of the Chickasaw. And there's a whole story about that.

Point is, if you have a significant amount of native DNA (anything over 2%), then you shouldn't have to look back that far (3-5 generations) to find the person that is native. You should be able to easily pinpoint them and trace them back to the Dawes Rolls like we were able to do on my father's side.
Well the way you describe it becomes hear say so we will really never know the truth cause the same way you said mixed blacks claimed native there were natives who were designated black and there are other situations like what happened to the runaways who may have fled to places like Mexico and what not or the black seminoles

Look I’m not one of these dudes claiming that black people is the “real” natives or whatever but my thinking is wouldn’t it make sense if black people are made up of a mixture of people, you mix various Europeans various natives and various Africans and you get the diaspora

And these dna tests I just can’t rock with cause that shyt isn’t fool proof really, it leaves out too much in my opinion