Ice Cube Updates Fans On New Album, Says It’s ‘85 Percent Finished’

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Chitown reference is funny, cause NWA used that in a line when they were feuding with Cube.
In a skit, woman on the phone said since he was sucking so much NY dikk, hey should come and eat this Chicago p*ssy.

Hey if Cube puts gangster themed song on album, will he blame the record label for making him do it?

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Wow.

That was wack.

How does the writing get so much worse over time?

I guess I was mesmerized cause I listened to the whole thing.

Here's what I can't get over. The hook.

Even if you have some lines in the verse that aren't excellent.. you have to have a dope hook.

Like. He was thinking about that hook and saying to himself "I gotta lay this shyt down right away. This is bananas. Yay yay."
The unmitigated gall. YOU saying this?:hhh:

Please don't cheap out on the beats

:sadcam:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Cube didn't evolve technically and stagnated lyrically. He was agile with his wordplay and cadences but for some reason he became more rigid in his approach and it shows in his style of rapping now.

I was about to say the same.

He's still in my Top 10 of all-time, but it's all because of his work pre-'94.

Who you surround yourself with artistically really is a big deal. If you're around creative minds who will push you musically, it'll show in your art. Cube stopped being around the kinda people who did that for him a long time ago. So now he's just getting random people to work with, who don’t really have any influence on the direction of the material. His career looks and sounds like 2-3 different artists now. I think a lot of that stems from him not really working on mastering what he was building back in the late 80's and early 90's. He just never pushed to add on to that. Fell off crazy.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Cube didn't evolve technically and stagnated lyrically. He was agile with his wordplay and cadences but for some reason he became more rigid in his approach and it shows in his style of rapping now.
Perfectly explained.

I think early solo Cube's flow will work better today than his rigid robotic flow he got stuck on since 98.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I was about to say the same.

He's still in my Top 10 of all-time, but it's all because of his work pre-'94.

Who you surround yourself with artistically really is a big deal. If you're around creative minds who will push you musically, it'll show in your art. Cube stopped being around the kinda people who did that for him a long time ago. So now he's just getting random people to work with, who don’t really have any influence on the direction of the material. His career looks and sounds like 2-3 different artists now. I think a lot of that stems from him not really working on mastering what he was building back in the late 80's and early 90's. He just never pushed to add on to that. Fell off crazy.

Yeah somewhere around the mid 90s when he did Westside Connection it was starting to slowly show with each passing output, then he was working with these rock bands like Korn or doing like radio shyt (You Can do it) and Soundtrack shyt and he really wasnt taking chances. Admittedly it would have been kinda hard cause West Coast scene post Death Row, other than Dre's 2001 run and Game argubaly might have been stagnant until the blog era and the new wave of rappers came along (Pac Div, TDE, Nipsey etc etc)

Hes still got a lot of goodwill from being a West Coast legend and rap legend in general so he'll get some attention but he had to risk sonically and he played safe

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
Yeah somewhere around the mid 90s when he did Westside Connection it was starting to slowly show with each passing output, then he was working with these rock bands like Korn or doing like radio shyt (You Can do it) and Soundtrack shyt and he really wasnt taking chances. Admittedly it would have been kinda hard cause West Coast scene post Death Row, other than Dre's 2001 run and Game argubaly might have been stagnant until the blog era and the new wave of rappers came along (Pac Div, TDE, Nipsey etc etc)

Hes still got a lot of goodwill from being a West Coast legend and rap legend in general so he'll get some attention but he had to risk sonically and he played safe

In my opinion his work with Korn and Trent Renzor/David Bowie are pretty much the last time he took artistic "risks" albeit with mixed results (but I love the I'm Afraid of Americans remix).