Ice Cube's War & Peace series gets unwarranted levels of criticism

Does Ice Cube's War & Peace albums get too much hate?

• Yes - they're better than people make them out to be

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • No - they're deserving of the criticism they get

Votes: 37 57.8%

• Total voters

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
When people look at Ice Cube's discography, they say he peaked too early and then he had one of the biggest fall off's in hip-hop and never recovered.

The War & Peace series is often attributed for representing the beginning of said downfall, starting with the first album: War & Peace Vol 1 (War Disc), released in 1998.

Prior to that, Cube had released Straight Outta Compton (w/NWA), AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, Kill at Will, Death Certificate, The Predator, Lethal Injection & Bow Down (w/Westside Connection), all whilst murdering guest features within that 1988-1996 timeframe and not to mention his writing of Eazy-Duz-It and his common featuring in and producing of Da Lench Mob's Guerrillas in tha Mist album. So his track record was damn near impeccable in that period.

When he returned to solo work with the War & Peace series, he adopted the Don Mega persona where he presented himself as a business mogul or high powered authority figure much to the chagrin of much of his large fanbase.

There's no doubt Cube fell off from the lofty heights of AMW and DC (two of the greatest albums in music history). But it was because of the impossibly high standards he set early on that anything to be released thereafter not up to par would immediately be labelled a disappointment - such was the case with The Predator (seen nowadays as a classic or near enough) and Lethal Injection. So War & Peace was inevitably considered a disaster couple of albums and the beginning of the end of Cube's hip-hop career.

However, visiting these albums recently, I believe that they are very solid albums (3 to 3.5 mic level material equivalent) and if people judged the quality of these albums as standalone projects rather than relative to his earlier discog, they would receive much more praise.

The consensus is that most of the songs on each album are wack. If I had to be as unbiased as possible, I'd say the following are the wack songs on each project (with the rest ranging from decent to spectacular).

War Disc
Cash Over Ass
Limos, Demos & Bimbos

Peace Disc
The Gutter shyt
Can You Bounce?

and across the two discs we've been blessed with some of Cube's greatest tracks including Ghetto Vet, Penitentiary, Until We Rich, Hello and more.

What do y'all make of these albums? Do they get too much hate? Or is the criticism warranted?
Ice-Cube-psd42522.png

@StillNotSoft @Da King

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
It should've been one album, would've been an easy 4 mic album. The criticism was deserved because people expected more from Cube in the 90's

he still the GOAT though :mjcry:

Yep this plays into my point. It's the standard he set early which set him up for this failure. But if you looked at the albums as standalone material, they were fantastic. But yes I agree condensing material could give us at LEAST 4 mics if not more.

That said....what kinda album can be wack when you getting songs like this (perfect execution of the Don Mega character imo):

:wow:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I know you're a Cube fan but the criticism was pretty warranted, I'll say this part 1 (War) was OK.

I never really cared for the Mega Don era of Ice Cube in general. I mean look fame changes everyone but for someone who was like one of iconic faces of my teenage years.

Even with this Ice Cube is one of the greatest of all time, but dude is held to a much higher standard than average MC so his lows (relatively speaking) stand out way more.

To say the War and Peace albums deserve 4 Mics is to elevate into a near classic (or an era classic) and it just isn't.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I know you're a Cube fan but the criticism was pretty warranted, I'll say this part 1 (War) was OK.

I never really cared for the Mega Don era of Ice Cube in general. I mean look fame changes everyone but for someone who was like one of iconic faces of my teenage years.

Even with this Ice Cube is one of the greatest of all time, but dude is held to a much higher standard than average MC so his lows (relatively speaking) stand out way more.

To say the War and Peace albums deserve 4 Mics is to elevate into a near classic (or an era classic) and it just isn't.

Did you dislike Vol 2 more because it sounded more club pop style? More commercial?

Anyway your opinion is perfectly valid, you are in a majority, at least amongst core hip-hop circles.

And I can see how this Don Mega conversion is a major disappointment to most, as it is to me to an extent, but I also appreciate it because I think Cube played the character well. The only album I disregard is I Am Tha West. That was pretty poor.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Did you dislike Vol 2 more because it sounded more club pop style? More commercial?

Anyway your opinion is perfectly valid, you are in a majority, at least amongst core hip-hop circles.

And I can see how this Don Mega conversion is a major disappointment to most, as it is to me to an extent, but I also appreciate it because I think Cube played the character well. The only album I disregard is I Am Tha West. That was pretty poor.

I didn't necessarily dislike part 2 because it was commercial, but more so I thought Ice Cube's rapping wasn't up to par. War was sonically worse but I respected Ice Cube for taking some risks musically so I actually hold it in higher regard even if Peace is definitely more smoothed out sonically.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
he deserved all the criticism...do you know how pissed off i was when i bought this series? i even gave him a chance with the 2nd disc...shyt was beyond trash...

The key is not deserveD, but deserveS. I can understand you being pissed off back then? But have you ever revisited it recently and thought "huh, that ain't as bad as I thought."?

And trash is pretty harsh but it's your opinion.
:yeshrug:

Given your negative thoughts on these 2 albums, did you think he made amends with the releases of Laugh Now & Raw Footage?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
The key is not deserveD, but deserveS. I can understand you being pissed off back then? But have you ever revisited it recently and thought "huh, that ain't as bad as I thought."?

Given your negative thoughts on these 2 albums, did you think he made amends with the releases of Laugh Now & Raw Footage?

I know I'm in the minority but I actually like Laugh Now more than Lethal Injection. Raw Footage was solid too.

Big Skilly Films

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

to be honest i gave up on cube by then never sat down to listen to those albums

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I know I'm in the minority but I actually like Laugh Now more than Lethal Injection. Raw Footage was solid too.

Yep can't say I agree but that's respectable.

I prefer Raw Footage to Laugh Now but both were really great contemporary Cube albums. He made amends and then some...until that last dud.
:mjcry:

Hoping if he ever releases Everythang's Corrupt we can get Raw Footage equivalent quality.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
to be honest i gave up on cube by then never sat down to listen to those albums

give em a chance breh, you might be surprised
:ehh:

Vol 1 was dope up until greed then it was all downhill :mjcry:
Vol 2 was just lazy as hell...Why jack 2 EPMD classics and put them directly behind each other :dahell:
His 2006-2008 run was MUCH better than War & Peace era :manny:

Vol 1 I agree there was a stretch of flawless music until Greed but "all downhill"?
:francis:

didn't like The Peckin' Order or Extradition or Penitentiary? The last one is one of my top 10 Cube songs overall.

Vol 2 was lazy in terms of cohesion. First time I felt Cube didn't put effort into the album as a complete listening experience, but still too many dope standalone songs.