If brehs know someone who wants work even without HS/GED: marine jobs desperate right now

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know there is a general labor shortage right now and there is a market for folks who want to work, it is still hard for those without formal education. I have been helping someone who still hasn't finished his GED and there is a big opportunity out there often not requiring a HS education: the marine/merchant marine jobs.

I give details below but you can have someone start out at $40k working only 6 months of the year with a lot of these boat jobs and they are damn desperate for people. Union jobs can pay even more. Also due to a law called the Jones Act they can only hire US citizens so there is no illegal immigrant/resident alien competition. Some of the jobs will even pay for travel. Even if you don't, you can often live anywhere in the US if you can travel to your hitch.

With training you can get other jobs like a tankerman (moving oil to barges; $70k) an engineer ($90k) or pilot/mate ($120k). None of it requires a college education.

The only catch is: 1) you have to get the right credentials from the government and 2) you need to be drug free (including weed/delta-8); these are DOT regulated jobs so it doesn't matter if you live in a state weed is legal.

So here is how to get a job. There are two classes of jobs: inland river jobs (Mississippi/Ohio) that require only a TWIC card (see below) and higher paying merchant marine jobs on the coast that require a merchant marine credential and medical certificate from the Coast Guard.

Regardless the first thing they have to do is apply for a TWIC here: TWIC® | Transportation Security Administration

A TWIC (Transportation Worker Identity Card) is a card issued by the TSA basically doing a background check to make sure you aren't a security risk (i.e. drug dealer/terrorist). They cost about $150 and only take a couple of weeks to get. You apply at one of those ID centers like Identogo. A bonus is a TWIC card gives you the same privileges as Pre-Check so you can jump the line at the airport.

With a TWIC card you can apply for work on inland boats---basically towboats pushing barges up and down the Mississippi, Ohio, and other rivers. It can be hard work tying up barges and you work in all weather on a rotating 6 hour on, 6 hour off schedule for 2-4 weeks depending on the company. However, you can get paid $200+ per day and then get at least two weeks off. The best companies give you equal time off (like 14 days working, 14 days break etc.) Downside is if they have family or SOs since you are gone the full time and sometimes work holidays, special days, etc.

In the current environment the job is pretty secure and while promotion may be an issue you can bank money if you are disciplined since 6 months of the year you are on a boat with all expenses paid including food and Internet.

Best companies to look at: Ingram Barge, Canal Barge (require HS/GED), Blessey Marine, Enterprise Products, Marathon Oil, Crounse Corporation, Marquette, American Commercial Barge Line

Canal Barge, Blessey, Marathon, and Enterprise push oil/petrochem which is usually less labor since you only have one or two barges rather than 20-40 filled with grain on lower Mississippi boats.

--

If they don't want to tie up 20+ barges and make more money, particularly in the NYC area, they need to get a merchant marine credential from the Coast Guard. The basic info on this is here: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/application_acceptance_checklist.pdf

In short, first you have to get your TWIC and then:

1) Get a physician or occupational health physical and have them fill out the medical form CG-719K/E. Then send this in to get a medical certificate using the instructions here: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/faq/med_cert_faq.pdf
2) Get a drug test from a DOT approved drug tester and have them show you are drug free on form CG-719P
3) Fill out the information on the info form CG-719B including having a notary verify you took the merchant marine oath here: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/Merchant_Mariner_Oath.pdf

4) Submit all these forms along with proof of paying the fee to your local Coast Guard REC using one of the page here: Regional Exam Centers (RECs)

This whole process actually costs a bit more, probably $300-400 for the drug test, application fees, and physical

Wait 60-90 days to get your credential and medical certificate in the mail. After that you can apply for jobs on tugboat, ferries, and some others that should pay well, especially in the NYC/NJ or Washington State area.

Companies to look at:

Tugboats: A bunch in the NYC area and though they vary in culture and maybe even :mjpls: there are several that seem good to start out. Top I've heard are Vane Brothers (probably the most Black employees), Moran, and Don Jon. Centerline is big and hires newbies but I hear mixed reviews. Also I hear good things about Stasinos and Vinik Marine but can't say what they pay. Best boats are Reinauer but they typically want experience. Good opportunities in the Washington state area too though not as familiar with the companies. Norfolk has good companies like Norfolk Tug that pay well. In the Gulf are a bunch of companies that push oil that need work if you live in LA or TX.

OSVs: ships that supply the rigs and ships in the Gulf of Mexico. Good jobs but very volatile with the oil economy. You are either making bank or getting laid off.

Ferries: Steamship Authority (Cape Cod to Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket), Washington State Ferries pay the most I think. You can start out near $30/hour with these two though the Steamship Authority is seasonal. Both have you on on-call status for about 6 months before you become permanent but there is a lot of work right now. Also the Cross Sound Ferry in Long Island and ferries in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Williamsburg areas.

NYC has a bunch of ferries too obviously, most famously the Staten Island one, but they don't pay great ($18.75/hr) and have a reputation for over work due to a worker shortage. However, they hire people with criminal convictions so that is an alternate if that prevents you getting hire elsewhere.

Once you have a job gain seatime and train to be an assistant engineer, tankerman, or mate and you will near six figures in a few years. Engineers are most flexible job-wise if you leave maritime but all have their plus and minus aspects.

Just a thought for those who may be looking for something to do or know someone who is. The roughest part of the job is being away for half the year but if they can handle that it can be a good way to bank money and save it since you cut your expenses in half except things like rent and insurance.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Had a friend who did this. I thought about merchant marine myself

I wanted to do it on coastal ships though. Just travel and work