If Digable Planets was a new group today, would they have the same success they had back in the day?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
:russ:
But for real though, something would have to be different production wise on rebirth of slick. Between the dope hook, it's just drum and that funky bass line. Ordinarily I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, but it makes it feel like they in dead space on that song going on forever... and ever.... until finally.... I'm chill like that:mjlol:
The reason they worked so well back then is due to the jazz wave that took over East Coast hip hop in the early 90s. shyt got played out quick tho becuz most of the music was boring.

Looking back that was a terrible time in east coast hip hop. Either nikkas were real jazzed out or rhyming over New Jack Swing beats:scust:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
:russ:
But for real though, something would have to be different production wise on rebirth of slick. Between the dope hook, it's just drum and that funky bass line. Ordinarily I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, but it makes it feel like they in dead space on that song going on forever... and ever.... until finally.... I'm chill like that:mjlol:

See, I think you would've had to have been there back then to really feel this song like that. I still love it. I love the simplicity of it. It works as is. :ld:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Ish's new group is further left field of Digable. On some 'out there Afro-futurist' shyt.:ehh:

They generally get critical acclaim for their albums - I'd put them in a bracket with artists like Flying Lotus. fukked with the first joint heavy - they kinda lost me on the second one, but the new album is my favourite this year.

Catching their live show tonight. :wow:

Last edited:

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
See, I think you would've had to have been there back then to really feel this song like that. I still love it. I love the simplicity of it. It works as is. :ld:
You might be right. I was born in 1988 and for nostalgic reasons I remembered liking the whole song. As I got older, I realized it was just the hook I liked. Even today when I play the song, I only dig the hook. Again I was a shorty so I barely remember that whole wave.

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Ish's new group is further left field of Digable. On some 'out there Afro-futurist' shyt.:ehh:

They generally get critical acclaim for their albums - I'd put them in a bracket with artists like Flying Lotus. fukked with the first joint heavy - they kinda lost me on the second one, but the new album is my favourite this year.

Catching their live show tonight. :wow:

Word? I'll have to check this out later today after a good nap. :whoo:

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Groups don't really work in today's hip hop. Yeah, you got groups like Rae, Migos but they're like the exception.

groups always work. the lack of groups is one of the main reasons why the scene is so dry actually.

its the labels that don't want to deal with groups. its much less of a hassle dealing with one artist. plus the artists aren't complaining about not having to split their cut 3 or 4 ways.

You might be right. I was born in 1988 and for nostalgic reasons I remembered liking the whole song. As I got older, I realized it was just the hook I liked. Even today when I play the song, I only dig the hook. Again I was a shorty so I barely remember that whole wave.

yea, I recently realized that I don't care about the verses at all.