if Tyson beat Holyfield

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Be honest nobody would have gave him credit. I'm talking about the first fight. If Tyson won that it would of been "he was washed up anyway"

Boxing is funny like that.

Last edited:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
agreed. i remember that fight. i thought it would be an easy tyson win. i was still buying the tyson mystique back then remember, tyson was a small heavyweight who was knocking out dudes bigger than him, and holyfield while bigger than mike, wasnt that much bigger. and he was assumed washed up as well. so i just presumed it was an easy fight. and man, tyson only won one round in that fight, the first one. still the biggest shock i saw live in a fight.

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Back then, Tyson still had that air of invincibility and fear. Holyfield broke all that down in that first fight though. He wasn't scared of Mike.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Holyfield would have fought Tyson in 1988, Evander would have gotten that work.

:beli:

When that 1st fight happened, Holyfield was coming off a somewhat competitive fight with Mercer and 2 tough fights against Bowe (1 loss, 1 majority decision). And a loss to Moorer.
He had a tune-up fight against Bobby Czyz.

Tyson was basically a year out of prison and fought a bunch of tomato cans in the lead up to the fight: Peter McNeely, Buster Mathis Jr, Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon (none of which lasted a full 3 rounds).

blackestofpanthers

God forgives, you are forgiven.
Daps
Reppin
Bay area
If Holyfield would have fought Tyson in 1988, Evander would have gotten that work.

:beli:

When that 1st fight happened, Holyfield was coming off a somewhat competitive fight with Mercer and 2 tough fights against Bowe (1 loss, 1 majority decision). And a loss to Moorer.
He had a tune-up fight against Bobby Czyz.

Tyson was basically a year out of prison and fought a bunch of tomato cans in the lead up to the fight: Peter McNeely, Buster Mathis Jr, Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon (none of which lasted a full 3 rounds).
The heavyweight champ would have beat a guy moving up from cruiser? :ohhh:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The heavyweight champ would have beat a guy moving up from cruiser? :ohhh:
Holyfield was fighting Pinklon Thomas in 88.
He was 210 lbs.

vH7FN8S.gif

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
Holyfield was my favourite boxer growing up and I had this feeling he would pull it out and he did :blessed: I was naive at the time in thinking all these athletes were clean though. He probably was on something during his prime of his career :to:

But yeah, if Tyson beat him people would've been "That's cool and all, but you didn't beat him when he was young and in his prime, before the Bowe battles, etc."

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
I don't get it, why would we say he's washed up if he beat Holyfield ?

i clearly remember as a kid and even looking back researching, people thought evander was done. some forget outside of losing to bowe 2x and moorer, evander had health problems. i think it was something with his heart, some people thought he was going to retire right after tyson. fans downplay evanders win over tyson, saying tyson wasn't in his prime, shyt, evander wasn't in his prime neither.