in 1988, what were you doing?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
My Grandmother died in 88. The effects of crack begin to show in my hood. I wanted in. People were getting murdered weekly. I ran away from home. Got locked up, Hip Hop was so alive at the time. I rocked Patrick Ewing adidas, Diadoras, Filas, Jordans... Me and my little 3 man crew had dreams of pooling $ from sales and buying a Car. I remember making 30 for every hundred that I sold... Some of lifes largest scars came from that year. It also produced some of my fondest memories and lifes most valuable lessons...

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]ziJeL7uQjA0[/MEDIA] Short-City Of Dope - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]kJXYsZKmuVQ[/MEDIA] One/BoogieDownProductions - illegal business - YouTube[/ame]
High Rollers _ Ice-T - YouTube

How old are you?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I'm not gonna even lie.....I fukked with New Kids On The Block and Debbie Gibson. Alyssa Milona and Samatha Fox. Aliysa Milan had a lil dude having nasty thoughts......She was big in 88. But when Paula Abdul came on the scene I started having my first sexual thoughts....If im not mistaken it was around this time Latoya Jackson did those playboy photos....I'm not positive..Im just typing and going off teh head but i believe those Latoya pics were around in 88 and that was a big thing...I overheard my pops saying he was gonna cop an issue....i was always in his stash but that day never came.....I never saw that issue of Playboy when it was hot. Jakee from 227, Vanity, Paula Abdul, Karyn White (from Super Woman fame) and Latoya jackson were all part of my first sexual thoughts. I was also into the Corey movies like Lost Boys and License To Drive. Mike Tyson was the greatest Boxer in the game.

You may be one of the wildest dudes on here, low key. Salute. Wack job.

Alyssa is 40, frumpy and kissing nikkas on network television. Day late and a dollar short.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
moving to a new town and all that comes with that. can't remember much of what i was listening to or anything but i do remember Gumby was on TV when we moved in :russ:

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
How old are you?

"Still look twenty, Still get $, lady killer..."

My worst stint was as a Juvenile. I was a runaway. Caught with about 10 rocks at 16. police twisted my arm until my shoulder dislocated. banged my head on a brick wall.Took me to the precinct, threatened to beat my ass if I was lying about my age. Some old Uncle tom ass cop sang a song seemingly to mock me while he was taking my prints booking me and shyt. when they took me to the cell house it was like a scene from the movies. everyone waving their hands through the bars trying to get the CO's attention. He put me in the first cell. everybody asking for a cigarette. the metal walls were rusted from inmates pissing in the corner.

later they brought in 2 kids my age that had beat a crackheads ass. a female CO came and told us that if you got a gun or drug charge You going to the Youth home. They both looked at Me with sorrow on their faces. They was like " You gonna have to fight for Your life up in there. I didn't really feel any type of way. I was just tired of the street life and missed the restrictive home that I ran away from. In my heart i knew I was ready for whatever. I remember being transported to the Juvenile. As I'm being processed in, there was a riot on the 4th floor. The intake "clerk" gave me pants that were so big that they would fall down if I didn't hold them up... And guess where they put me? On the 4th floor where they just squashed the uprising. I told the nurse there that I was suicidal so they gave me a mattress in the hallway. When day broke I just sat back and watched... Who was strong, who was weak etc. the next night they put me in my own room. And the nikka in the cell next to me would sing himself to sleep. I swear that nikka had a beautifull voice. Not on some gay r&b shyt. The nikka could just sing and I was in awe by that shyt.

After the first couple of days I was able to move about and scope the situation. There were killers there. Young rich nikkas on the phone talking about selling their benz's and shyt to try to make bond. In the Day room there was a table where all the "big" boys sat. right in front of the TV. They were the first to get lunch trays and shyt. I knew I had to make some type of power play. the next day, I was the first one out and I sat at the table. The dude that I presumed to be the leader. confronted me and said "That seat is already taken killa" had he came at me any other way I knew it would get ugly. but because he called me killer I was Just like "ok" and moved. None of them nikkas fukked with me after that. It was just a quiet unspoken respect. A few days later this young big nikka came in. didn't respect the pecking order. just grabbed a chair and took it and sat down in front of the TV. He was asked to move several times. but he was like "fukk that! I aint moving shyt." that night almost the whole pod beat his ass in the bathroom.

One of the things that stick out the most in my mind was all of the Young black males. I remember moving about the facility and You would just see hundrends maybe thousands of black teenagers of every hue, height,fat, skinny. many with battle scars, missing teeth, casts on limbs, black eyes, faces stitched up. It was surreal. because danger was always there. If God was in my life at that moment, He was definitely smiling at me. because I left unscathed.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/anybody-been-to-jail-county.203408/

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
11 with my big brother rolling around in Sentras with dboys and on my bike chasing girls to goose and hunch

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
same thing i wa thinking im out bruh
Well when I was a young. I was out running the streets chasing girls,Sleeping in on weekends. In my old age I work on the computer, browse the coli, chill with my woman and kids. Whats the excuse for a young buck to be couped up in the house on a message board? You still have so much life to live, Women to meet, goals and accomplishments to achieve.

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
troop was how everybody not in ny, got fresh according to what was a hood urban actual brand and aesthetic.
yes, the shoes were glued.
yeah people hate on the jackets, now.
yet and still troop killed't the land and that is a fact.
to, the point regular non-culturized nikkaz developed the whole hood dress appeal and aesthetic off of troop.
that was the first universal hood look, across anywhere that is still relevant to this day.
according to rocking ill outerwear.
troop is that beginning for real in general.
it is no way to deny that company that.
troop, was the first full luxury dope boi uniform gear before gear was a relevant reoccurring term.
troop created the idea of gear, to the common hood nikka as a whole brand or actual line dedicated to that.
it was the first accepted global hood brand.

Art Barr

Yup until Shan came and crushed the buildings