In the future, do y’all think black people are gonna abandon hip hop like rock and country?

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
I could see rock and/or alt-rock getting bigger. But with social media hitting a critical mass there's a feedback loop with hip hop. Hip hop isn't just music, it's also memes and videos and huge moments like the rap war going on now.

So I don't think it'll go anywhere

Folk/indie music is definitely on the rise right now so I could see it becoming the “hot” genre for a couple years

Edit: I completely made this up but strangely I’m not the only one who thinks this :pachaha:

I think folks social media is making people crave real shyt more and hip hop ain’t pushing that, so they’re going out to find stripped down somewhat raw music

Return of Folk

Zach Bryan, Noah Kahan, and Kacey Musgraves restoring the feeling for folks

Last edited:

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
Hopefully, tbh. It's been a net negative to Black society overall despite a handful of examples of legit genius and creativity.

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
I think shyt cyclical fr.

People got tired of glam/hair rock and those theatrics and surface level lyrics, that they craved something and we got bands with a stripped down sound, deeper lyrics, and less theatrics.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t mean as in stop making it, or stop listening ( at least to the degree of now).

But as in it being such a big part of our culture.

People say it’s ours and deeply rooted in our culture. But so were rock and roll, country, bluegrass, and pop :yeshrug:

And white people are getting more integrated into it very quickly now. So looking at history in about 10 years we won’t even be fukkin with it like that anymore frfr

Like Jimi an icon in music and in pop culture but I genuinely don’t see black folk fukkin with him like that. Are Drake ‘nem gonna see the same fate?

Like Darius Rucker country icon and gets love in that world crazy but how many black folks are fukkin with him like THAT frfr?
They also abandoned Jazz, Funk, Disco, Soul, House Music (which is also called Electronica) and Pop music. So the answer to your question is yes.

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
HELL nawll. They can't do it like WE do , it's not cool unless we do it .

We’ve said that about every other genre too :russ:

As soon as it shows financial sustainability and white folks get heavily into it, we get pushed out and eventually we just stop fukkin with it

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I doubt it.

The Prison Industrial Complex benefits too much from it.

The need to keep black people's image at the bottom of the trash pile depends on rap music.

As long as there's folks desperate to get out the hood and willing to be a Minstrel Show character, they're gonna keep pushing the worse stereotypes of black people to the forefront via rap music

p7YMfgz.jpeg

Black people will continue to call this Minstrel Show "just entertainment" and the cycle will continue.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The difference hip hop and the other genres listed is that point of entry is much lower. You need a pc, phone, and mic. Folks talking about rock and folk :camby: , Hip Hop has incorporated those elements. No other genre is doing like that