In your opinion, was Keith Sweat a good singer?

Keith Sweat - good singer?

• Total voters

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
His vocals sound thin and the tone sounds nasally, but that could easily be smoothed out with the technology we have today.

He can carry a tune either way and he can write, so he’s good in my book

Daps
Keef is like the Emmitt Smith of sanging.

On paper, it makes no sense but when you put all the skills together...it works.

That's a good example of why the music business is so tough. Countless brehs can sing better than Keef but writing/producing and making shyt people wanna listen to is a completely different skill set.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
That production made you forgive it all though. Merry Go Round is ridiculous in both a positive and a negative way. This nikka vocally messed this up, but it’s somehow a classic:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Keith hitting those notes... shyt gets me everytime.. :mjlol:

But on a serious note, hearing this song made me sad because they dont make this type of r&b anymore. Music like this actually served its purpose. People expressed love with the help of this music. The r&b or rap and bullshyt now is cold. shyt is below zero. No wonder why gen z is full of virgins. Look at the music. shyt is cold as fukk.

Even if keith sweat wasnt a good singer, he made it work. With that said, im still roasting his voice and music.

Bolded is crazy accurate.

Today's music lacks a willingness for artists to display true vulnerability when it comes to that type of music. Absolutely no one is willing to take their cool off. What used to be "I feel differently about you than I have about anyone else, but don't break my heart," is now "I'm fukking with you and all, but I'll swap you out for the next bytch/nikka like it's nothing." No one's fukking because they're approaching relationships like shytty lopsided business deals instead of actual relationships. It's depressing, really.

That said, yeah, Keith Sweat as a singer is mid, but he put together good enough songs to make you overlook it. High key, that's my go to argument whenever my aunts and uncles want to say nobody can sing. :mjlol:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Keith is one of the best male R&B stars ever. Had a run from the 80's to late 90's. Who else did that?

Interesting comments, really insightful, about a lack of feeling in modern music/culture

I think there's something to the rise of the phrase "catching feelings", like a lot of slang that originates in black culture, it has been stretched and inflated to this weird thing, like feelings are a bad thing. A lot of the 90's R&B was about feelings, for one night stands, unrequitted loves, your wife, your friends wives, it was about feelings. but everyone had feelings.

and a lot of the music now, is people insisting they have no feelings, which, of course, is absurd, as anyone who has been around knows, people just avoid them, with distance and unhealthy patterns.