Internet Forums are the only place where I see Swizz Beatz being classified as a mediocre producer

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Swizz's 98-00 run was just :scust: meaning :ohlawd:...idk what caused the perception to turn cause even I found myself being annoyed with him...not the beats so much cause the nikka got jams on top of jams..but its something about HIM..but yeah, i'd never heard anybody complain about his production back then until the internet and magazines would talk down on his "simple, keyboard beats" ...purists just mad he wasnt sampling and he took hip hop out of that era..thats how i see it

its' not even that. cuz during that same time period the neptunes were on fire as well, and they weren't sampling either, but receiving a lot of love to this day even.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He makes hit records at the end of the day. I think his sound is a bit cheap, but when it works it works. Cant deny he's made anthems over the span of the last 15 years.

My main critique of dude would be him forcing himself onto his own records. Sometimes he does his thing (his part on Jason was dope as fukk), other times he brings the track down ("Welcome to the jungle, welcome to the jungle...well?"....well what :martin:?!)

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Wj
:what: Till this day shyt still baffles me , prior to browsing on forums I would have thought Swizz would have well revered on here only to see the opposite , dude blessed us with a plethora of street classics and I DJ occasionally and every time I throw on a throwback swizz beat from the late 90s / early 00s I always receive the :wow: :whoo: :ohlawd: reaction ... So please explain to me why forums perception of Swizz beats is like stepping into the twilight zone :dwillhuh:
Where is swizz considered an elite producer

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
61tHbhnLVqL.jpg

You ever heard this album?? He's no Kanye nor is he an Alchemist, Rza, or a Pete Rock because atleast they can make a solo album thats worth listening to.
classic beat/song :manny:

Last edited:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
He makes hit records at the end of the day. I think his sound is a bit cheap, but when it works it works. Cant deny he's made anthems over the span of the last 15 years.

My main critique of dude would be him forcing himself onto his own records. Sometimes he does his thing (his part on Jason was dope as fukk), other times he brings the track down ("Welcome to the jungle, welcome to the jungle...well?"....well what :martin:?!)
welcome eto the jungle beat was fire though with that guitar riff. and on top of that his gatdammit adlib was dope :manny:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
He has very few classic beats.
I don't really rock with any of those late 90s producers who took hip hop in a different direction. :huhldup:
nah. he has plenty of classic beats...especially considering how many singles he has.

he has more than Alchemist for example off the strength of his mainstream success

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
His productions are just beats and not much musicality behind them.

Swizz is a momument for something else.

He is really the first producer to become the go-to for non-sample, hardcore, cipher beats
that didn't outshine the rappers.
That's why Swizz has so many "ehhh" tracks that still go hard, because the raps on them are hard.

I remember in his prime when you found out Swizz did a track, you had to listen to it
for about 8 bars to figure out what he was trying to get at. Sometimes it was decent, most times
it was not. But it depended on who was rapping on it and what they did with it.

On another note: Swizz gets props for producing cuts that he didn't do.
I say that to say, he's seen as the "Ruff Ryders' producer"...but some of the GOAT Double RR
beats are not his tracks. It is my opinion that P.K. and DJ Shok made better beats than he did.