Is Eminem the only MC with commercial success who battled n made a name in the battle circuit?

Is Eminem the only 1 who was really in the field?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
If Eminem never blew nobody would remember except for his friends and a couple of people at these events, if Cassidy was the same you’d have people remembering that I’ll ass nikka from Philly that was the hardest illest nikka who never made it. And that’s no disrespect to Eminem he paid his dues battle rap wise in Detroit but that’s it but you can say the same about Cassidy as they both was battling before the internet

I'm not taking any credit from Cassidy. I'm a fan of his. RR is like extended family.

But to keep it all the way fair Cassidy doesn't even have the credentials Eminem does.

I don't want to spin this as a Cassidy vs Eminem thread since they both have honor and paid dues.

The fact is that during a time period MCs showed and proved.

This new era is hyping up this Fugazi social media antics of fake MC killers who would rather post online or talk that rah rah shyt to a different demographic at non-hiphop showcases than step into the arena.

I'm honestly happy people brought up other MCs besides Eminem.

Mystic

All Star
Daps
I'm not taking any credit from Cassidy. I'm a fan of his. RR is like extended family.

But to keep it all the way fair Cassidy doesn't even have the credentials Eminem does.

I don't want to spin this as a Cassidy vs Eminem thread since they both have honor and paid dues.

The fact is that during a time period MCs showed and proved.

This new era is hyping up this Fugazi social media antics of fake MC killers who would rather post online or talk that rah rah shyt to a different demographic at non-hiphop showcases than step into the arena.

I'm honestly happy people brought up other MCs besides Eminem.
Cassidy as a newbie wanted to go against Jay in a rap battle and when Jay sent freeway to light work this new nikka who thinks his hands are to short to box with God he ABSOLUTELY DUSTED FREEWAY. Yeah MC Juice who Eminem battled is 1000% better than Freeway and would probably have the better verse on a song with Jay(and most rappers we call legends) but it's NOT THE SAME. Outside of Detroit people didn't know who MC juice was but nikkas new Freeway even if he was not a household name at the time. 20 years later and he's battling some of the most popular battle rappers at the time while Eminem only hosted a battle rap event. Cassidy after initially blowing up was giving some to now legends like Murda Mook and Loaded Lux, Eminem waited until Canibus said he was enlisting in the army to get away for HipHop for awhile to attack him

EastsideRio

You Can’t Stop The Rain ☔️
Daps
Reppin
DETROIT (Do Every Thing Right Or It's Trouble)
Cassidy, he didn't make his bones on the DVDs/leagues but in the street he's recognized as one of the most dangerous battlers ever, that's all he ever did, that's how he got with Swizz/Ruff Ryders.
Cassidy was all over the DVD’s in the early 2000’s what you talking about? He even had his own dvd with 2 Raw For The Streets

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Why u trolling like this :dead:
Why u trolling like this :dead:

no cap. He really had a rap crew and they would go battle over philly. So it’s people that witness a 6’4 Kobe come through and serve cats up.

They rapped everywhere together. CHEIZAW battled at South Street, Parkside, Temple University, an underground mall called the Gallery, and Belmont Plateau, which was immortalized in DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince’s “Summertime.” Bryant, who called himself The Eighth Man, often didn’t battle other crews but always rhymed in what Sanchez calls the group’s internal sparring sessions.

Al Price, a Philly MC from the group Black Ops, recalls one such session at Broady’s apartment. “In a room full of hungry underground MCs, he was just another hungry underground MC,” Price says. “Kobe liked to catch you off guard. He liked the competitive part of it. He liked to dig into the beat and flow and mess with rhythms and tone and pitches. You could tell, he wasn’t dope by accident.”

“Kobe was talented,” Sanchez says. “I remember when the movie Solo came out with Mario Van Peebles, Kobe wrote this rhyme about him being a cyborg destroying MCs.”

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Hov
DMX
Kane
Treach
Redman
Common
Black Thought

And mad more. A lot of 90's MC's started in battles and went on to have commercial success.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cassidy was all over the DVD’s in the early 2000’s what you talking about? He even had his own dvd with 2 Raw For The Streets
I’m talking about battles…he isn’t known for the DVD/League battles like the Rex’s and DNA’s, etc… most/all of his battling legacy was built off-camera in the street, you can’t YouTube it

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Cassidy. And he definitely put in tremendous work. From battling on the street corners, to classrooms, and he was battling on Power 99's weekly radio battle. Tha Bul B and this dude called Weapon X had a crazy battle that last a few weeks...and they were calling into the station to spit. He definitely did the Philly tri-state but this is also '97-'98. By early '98 he was already Philly famous. I don't know if he did Lyricist Lounge when they came to Philly in '98, but he had already been taking trips to NY since Cosmic Kev was linking him with folks, and was signed in '99...so.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Cassidy. And he definitely put in tremendous work. From battling on the street corners, to classrooms, and he was battling on Power 99's weekly radio battle. Tha Bul B and this dude called Weapon X had a crazy battle that last a few weeks...and they were calling into the station to spit. He definitely did the Philly tri-state but this is also '97-'98. By early '98 he was already Philly famous. I don't know if he did Lyricist Lounge when they came to Philly in '98, but he had already been taking trips to NY since Cosmic Kev was linking him with folks, and was signed in '99...so.

yea Cassidy was a monster. I'm not from philly but he made a lot of noize up here.....

the DVDs he were on were crazy. alll his mixtape features got at least 10 rewinds.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:jbhmm:

A lot of rappers saying they want smoke.....did the battle circuit disappear?

Now you asking the right questions.

fukk no.
.these nikkaz never freestyle nowhere.
It is not even about the battle circuit.

It is whether they actually cypha off the dome.
anywhere other than their homebody house.

That Is the question.
.y'all let nikkaz and white boys rap. Who never ripped nowhere.

That needs to stop.

Ol reverse rappers needs to stop.

Art Barr

Last edited: