Is it still "cool" to be black and be a Wu-tang fan?

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The reason I ask this is because most people I see in today's world that support Wu-tang are mostly white or Asians in their late 30-40s in age.

Are black people still going to wu-tang shows? Ghost face, meth, Rae etc shows?

I don't personally know any black people who still bump or support Wu Tang as a group or as individual artists.

But I do know Asian and a few white cats that do..

#tpc

Why are you worried about what other people think?????

:why:

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Why wouldn't it be? They make great music. Just because some hipster white kids pretend to like their music that won't change anything.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Now some other real shyt (and I don't know if this is a pro-Black enough statement for y'all but it's true)... OUR listening sensibility has changed over the years, which is part of why Wu-Tang fell out of favor with us. They came out in a time when nikkas were putting together descriptive stories in their rhymes, and spitting complete verses with intricacies nshyt... and muhufkkas loved them for that. Nowadays, are 'real nikkas' really listening to shyt like that? Are there like a bunch of nikkas that wanna hear an MC tell a story that you actually have to follow as you listen, or do muhfukkas not even get into lyrics like that? I can even go back as far as when we got into the Ruff Ryders/Cash Money/No Limit era, I literally had a nikka tell me (who was previously a Wu fan) that Wu be droppin' too much 'shyt you gotta pay attention to'. A nikka listening to Rich Homie Quan and Migos right now probably don't give a shyt about no intricacies. And Im not even saying it's 'wrong', but as tastes changed, Wu didn't necessarily follow that wave, and that has a lot to do with why they fell out of favor in the first place. Nowadays, you even got nikkas from that era that only listen to trap shyt, and you'd never think that at one point they probably loved 'Liquid Swords'.

nah.

cash money, no limit and ESPECIALLY ruff ryders had emcees with lyrics, descriptive stories and all that stuff. not comparable to a rich homie quan at all. lol.

wutang fell off because they fell off. simple as that. now as far as the "they drop too much knowledge stuff goes", nobody was knockin them for that when they were dropping classics left & right. plus, alot of that has to do with wutang feeling themselves too much. they got carried away with their chit and got corny. meanwhile, there was a whole new batch of rappers on the horizon that was spittin THAT CHIT all while making music that was more pleasing to the ear.

Wouldn't Dre have toured with World Class Wrecking Cru?
Obviously we can go in a lot of different directions based on the comments Dre made on that show. Anything beyond they did shows (not necessarily all, hell, maybe not more than one, I don't remember exactly what he said) to a predominantly white crowd would be speculation.
It was relevant to this thread though...which is why I posted it in the first place.
Another thing they were talking about on that show was how surprising it was to Run DMC that there were so many white people at Fresh Fest (what does "so many" mean? I have no idea) - but they were showing footage of white kids at Fresh Fest in Long Island. Talking about how Run DMC was "awesome". :yeshrug:
There was some footage they showed that made Fresh Fest look all black though :yeshrug:

you cant compare a world class wrecking crew tour to an nwa or run dmc show. and certainly not a mega-tour like the freshfest.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
nah.

cash money, no limit and ESPECIALLY ruff ryders had emcees with lyrics, descriptive stories and all that stuff. not comparable to a rich homie quan at all. lol.

wutang fell off because they fell off. simple as that. now as far as the "they drop too much knowledge stuff goes", nobody was knockin them for that when they were dropping classics left & right. plus, alot of that has to do with wutang feeling themselves too much. they got carried away with their chit and got corny. meanwhile, there was a whole new batch of rappers on the horizon that was spittin THAT CHIT all while making music that was more pleasing to the ear.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

I'm not even specifically talking about Wu-Tang, cause I agree, that '98-'99 wave of shyt they came out with damaged the shyt outta them.

And I'm not saying there weren't quality rappers in those other camps, or comparing them to Rich Homie. What I AM saying is that it was a time where dudes like Master P, Silkk the Shocker, Puffy, Big Tymers and some others who weren't exactly the dopest rappers in the world, proved you dont really have to be a great rapper to make great records and sell a lot of 'em... and at the same time, some really talented rappers were making shytty music. So what you then have is a shift in tastes (which always happens every few yrs or so), where MCs who may have been a lil' more 'complex' or 'content heavy' were beginning to be out of style. As time rolled on, it gradually got to this point where a lotta muhfukkas dont even follow lyrics like that... it's actually more beneficial to be a half-ass rapper now, :pachaha:

Trust me, I'm not one of them 'lyrical miracle hysterical' nikka fans...but ay, you know... you been listenin' to this shyt for years right? You can just peep the timeline and figure it out from there, breh.

Thizzlam

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm just glad they can still tour in today's musical landscape which is pretty phenomenal and a testament to both Hip Hop's history and future. If that means white people are supporting it in large numbers then so be it. The true heads could give a fukk about trends will still rock with it (at least the stuff Wu made before they fell off which they still perform at shows.)

BTW Rza's production on Enter The Wu-Tang is some of the best the genre has EVER SEEN and will be studied and emulated for centuries (although their disciples will rarely be featured on TV or radio... for the time being.)

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Brehs today too damn insecure and rather listen to 808s and hi-hats beats to look good in from of bytches. Wu Tang was rebellious in nature.