Is rap/hip hop the only genre where the artist have a shelf life?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
No it's not and conflating the two is dangerous and now has people repeating stuff like what you just said. This lets the 'genre' control the narrative when the 'genre' is pretty much out of the hands of the actual culture. It's why you have some people who think that all of that "other shyt" is for the whites and Asians and rap is the only thing black folks supposed care about...leave all of the creative, participatory shyt for the 'others', rap music is 'ours' because they primarily use us to sell it, with negative images more often than not.

Rap music is not just another way of say Hip Hop either because as I told you, there are Hip Hoppas thriving away from the music industry and away music all together.

See...you equate Hip Hop with releasing albums. There is an entire generation of MC's in Hip Hop that never recorded or released anything...and there was certainly rapping being done before the culture itself. I think you mean rapper as in a profession, as in an employee of the Rap Music industry...seems to me that you're viewing Hip Hop CULTURE strictly within the paramters of the music industry where you won't really find the much of the actual culture. that you're viewing Hip Hop CULTURE within the parameters of the music industry where you really won't find it.

if you can rap and you make music utilizing rap, you're a rapper.

Rap is something that you do, Hip Hop is something that you are. He can clearly rap, he clearly utilizes his rap to make music, I don't know if I would call him Hip Hop.

That just sounds like a way to dismiss someone that you disagree with. It's like the media labeling people conspiracy theorists for questioning what they present as news. I don't consider myself a purist, Hip Hop, as in the culture is actually far less restrictive as to what is or isn't contained within it than Rap Music as a genre is.

( no samples, turntables or drum machines)

If you are Hip Hop whatever art you decide to make will be Hip Hop.

Hip Hop is a genre and a culture...just like Punk is a genre and a culture...

Like I said...Jay Dilla beattapes is Hip Hop and not Rap music because nobody is rapping over it...

And no...

Hip Hop is something that you do...not what you are...

There is an aesthetic to Hip Hop...

If you don't make Hip Hop music, if you don't dance Hip Hop, if you don't write Hip Hop literature, make Hip Hop visual art, make Hip Hop clothes...

Then you are just a consumer and a spectator of Hip Hop culture...you don't do anything that is Hip Hop...

That's like calling myself a ball player and I only hoop every 5 months...but I watch NBA all the time and buy basketball shoes...

I don't know why you keep focusing on the music and you are so damn narrow minded and acting like Rap music and Hip Hop is something different when it's not because you are one of those weirdo purists and wanna keep everything in nice little neat boxes...to keep the "invaders" out...

Hip Hop is shyt that you do that adhere to a certain aesthetic...

Culture is performative...

It's not who you are...

And that Saul Williams song is Hip Hop because he is rapping and he's a rapper and he uses a 4 bar structcure...

And samplers, turntables and drum machines are still traditional Hip Hop instruments that makes it different from Rock instruments which is traditionally a guitar, bass guitar and drum set...

Last edited:

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Hip Hop is a genre and a culture...

Rap music is just another way of saying Hip Hop...

And there were no rappers before Hip Hop, there were nobody releasing full on albums full of rapping before Hip Hop.

And country singers rapping doesn't make them rappers.

Just like the Weeknd or R.Kelly half-singing/half-rapping doesn't make them a rapper.

Just like Kendrick Lamar/J.Cole singing doesn't make them singers.

People that act like Hip Hop isn't a genre of music...are those weird rap purists types.

Hip Hop is a definitely a genre of music.

You can make an instrumental Hip Hop album...you can't make an instrumental Rap album....

There is a method of creating Hip Hop music (sampling, turntables, drum machines)

There is a musical aesthetic that makes Hip Hop, Hip Hop....just like there is a musical aesthetic that makes Country, Country...

Rapping is just a vocal style and there are no Rappers that aren't Hip Hop.

You couldn't find a non-Hip Hop rapper...and you can do raps and shyt without being a rapper...
Bruh it's called rap music because of how nikkas say lyrics in melody without singing

nikkas have been "rapping" on songs before hip hop, when they start speaking on the instrumental they called that a "rap" the term predates hip hop so it's not hip hop, just a small piece

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Bruh it's called rap music because of how nikkas say lyrics in melody without singing

nikkas have been "rapping" on songs before hip hop, when they start speaking on the instrumental they called that a "rap" the term predates hip hop so it's not hip hop, just a small piece

What are you even talking about...

:mjlol:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's like that by design...fully mentally developed human beings don't think like they do when they were in their teens. You let the perception of "youth culture" as in the demographic that is going to spend the money disappear then you have some of these guys getting older, talking about different things and in general looking even more ridiculous promoting some of the shyt they were being paid to promote.

Letting rappers like linger around til they're 45-50 and still having clout is not a smart move for people who run rap music.

Rap music is not Hip Hop.
I think a better distinction is the "Rap Music Industry" isn't "Hip-Hop".

:edit:
You've already mentioned that just caught it.
:salute:

Because I genuinely think some of the most revered music in the genre
is a direct byproduct of the funding and exposure that comes from the Rap Music Industry
but I do not feel it tells the whole story of "Hip-Hop" as a cultural or communal experience.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I think a better distinction is the "Rap Music Industry" isn't "Hip-Hop".

:edit:
You've already mentioned that just caught it.
:salute:

Because I genuinely think some of the most revered music in the genre
is a direct byproduct of the funding and exposure that comes from the Rap Music Industry
but I do not feel it tells the whole story of "Hip-Hop" as a cultural or communal experience.

The tail is wagging the dog basically.

Like I said, I had someone on here in so many words tell me that not enough black people care about all that other hippity hoppity shyt, it ain't poppin on social media so it's irrelevant. Yeah it probably looks that way if the only interaction you have with 'hip hop' is what is presented to you by the music industry. Drawing that distinction isn't about elitism, purity or any of that, it's just the truth .

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The tail is wagging the dog basically.

Like I said, I had someone on here in so many words tell me that not enough black people care about all that other hippity hoppity shyt, it ain't poppin on social media so it's irrelevant. Yeah it probably looks that way if the only interaction you have with 'hip hop' is what is presented to you by the music industry. Drawing that distinction isn't about elitism, purity or any of that, it's just the truth .
I agree.
It's what bothers me about Hip-Hop, how it's presented or more specifically black music and the modern
landscape.

It's why I feel a certain level of disgust when Hip-Hop isn't treated as art used to express someone's
feelings or views on the world but as a bargaining chip in identity politics. It's how rappers who started
off entirely mediocre like Childish Gambino or even Chance the rapper can get by simply because
their subject matter is more palatable to people who don't see Hip-Hop and Rapping as music or an
interesting use of language but each artist as a representation of "Black people" as a whole.

I mean look at the "Hip-Hop Awards" they're a poor representation of Hip-Hop as a culture and even
poorer representation of it as music. The cypher's have turned into a way to push products or a TV show
like "Empire", the stage performances or award presentations are a way to show off Hoverboards and
Gucci belts. It's very telling what they think of their audience and it isn't very high of an opinion whatsoever.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This thread has been made 1000 times already.
No, they're not.
Pop artists, emo artists, punk artists, etc. all have shelf lives depending on their style.
If you're making drug-dealing music at 40+, you are too old to be rapping about that nonsense.
If you're making timeless music, you're fine, no one says Nas and MF Doom are too old for rap.

end thread

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
This thread has been made 1000 times already.
No, they're not.
Pop artists, emo artists, punk artists, etc. all have shelf lives depending on their style.

This.

I love how muhfukkas will just ignore truth completely and go run with a pretty obvious fallacy....Just to wax poetic on some other bullshyt :mjlol:

There's a very small minority of acts in any genre with careers spanning decades of relevance.... Aint like Limp Bizkit and 98 Degrees are packing stadiums every summer or still topping the charts

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Y'all keep saying this and I just don't see it. I'm sure most of those rock bands from the 80's aren't moving units in 2017.
a lot of them have bowed out, though the ones who have kept going tour like crazy and never have to make another record in their life. Rolling Stone did a story on how Poison still sells out and they haven't had a hit single in almost 30 years. Guns N' Roses hasn't done a song together in almost 25 years, and they're selling out stadiums around the world.

Last week I saw Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick in the BX and it was lit, don't get me wrong, but it's really sad that unless they go to Europe where they appreciate shyt, rap acts don't do big venues unless you're Jay-Z, Drake /Future or if you're part of a big cluster of acts going together.

Suleiman Bey

Banned
Daps
Back in the day, not now. These rappers old as shyt. Snoop like 46 done dropped an album. Ross 41 dropped the best album of the year so far.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
a lot of them have bowed out, though the ones who have kept going tour like crazy and never have to make another record in their life. Rolling Stone did a story on how Poison still sells out and they haven't had a hit single in almost 30 years. Guns N' Roses hasn't done a song together in almost 25 years, and they're selling out stadiums around the world.

Last week I saw Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick in the BX and it was lit, don't get me wrong, but it's really sad that unless they go to Europe where they appreciate shyt, rap acts don't do big venues unless you're Jay-Z, Drake /Future or if you're part of a big cluster of acts going together.
I prefer hip-hop in smaller venues anyway :manny:

Daps
Look at ja rule, Nelly, busta rhymes, etc

A rapper would have to tour in Europe for them to get some love on a respectable level.

Guarantee you them old rock heads are able to sell out stadiums because the fan base is more loyal.

That's why you gotta make make moves wheb you're hot cuz this don't last long.

You will become musically irrelevant.