ITT I expose you to Underground Memphis Rappers

Daps
this the sound hundreds of youtube and soundcloud rappers are trying to reproduce these days... and doing a horrible job at it. this shyt just can't be recreated like that unless you're using that equipment.

i've been listening to memphis rap for going on 12 years now and i still haven't discovered half the dudes that put out tapes in the early 90's. Memphis was just so thick back then. i'm sure there's tons more artists that haven't made it to youtube yet. i used to have shyt that still hasn't been uploaded.

if you're used to CDQ releases you may be a bit put off initially at how lo-fi the recordings are but you'll warm up to it as you listen. it's an acquired taste.

that bassline :whoo:

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
meh. I love the Memphis bounce but that 90s stuff is just undercooked

shocker of the century!!!

sirbiatch doesn't like an original movement that influenced basically every rapper since

including your so called blueprint for new school rappers :sas1:

don't make me go back into rockys beat history :sas2:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
shocker of the century!!!

sirbiatch doesn't like an original movement that influenced basically every rapper since

including your so called blueprint for new school rappers :sas1:

don't make me go back into rockys beat history :sas2:

don't make hurt your feelings when I say ASAP Rocky has outdone Memphis :sas2: and made what sounded wack and undercooked for years now sound incredible. :sas2: Extracted the potential from the wackness it was drowning in :sas2: Posters have a history of going :angry: when the obvious is brought up

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
don't make hurt your feelings when I say ASAP Rocky has outdone Memphis :sas2: and made what sounded wack and undercooked for years now sound incredible. :sas2: Extracted the potential from the wackness it was drowning in :sas2: Posters have a history of going :angry: when the obvious is brought up

by watering down and "cleaning up" the classic memphis sound

it was undercooked because it was raw. there was literally no infrastructure in memphis and new orleans for music at that time. they did this completely by themselves.

most of the memphis tapes were literally recorded straight on to cassettes. it was the soundtrack to commit crimes and do ratchet things. i doubt they were thinking about how it would sound 10, 5 or even the next year

interesting how the new school has drifted toward that raw sounding shyt, instead of boom bap

but i dont wanna get too contextual, since you like debating on the surface level

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
by watering down and "cleaning up" the classic memphis sound

Nah moron. They did way more than that.

You really think Rocky just did Lil Jule wholesale with a cleaner mix? :bryan: Just how oblivious are you posters, really?

it was undercooked because it was raw. there was literally no infrastructure in memphis and new orleans for music at that time. they did this completely by themselves.

I love raw. But you can't mistake raw for good. Only a newb would do that.

36 Chambers is raw as fukk. But it's also good, which is more important.

The Memphis beats were one-dimensional as fukk. Needed a little atmosphere. Rocky added atmosphere and now's making millions while you hate :banderas:

but i dont wanna get too contextual, since you like debating on the surface level

Yet you keep stalking me and quoting me out of the blue like a desperate hoe. Why is that? Shouldn't you know better? :jbhmm:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
i fukk with dj akoza but i really only feel all these dude's beats, when they're rapping i turn that shyt off.

jheez you know about akoza yeah, hes got some banging beats, just wished he would release them proper instead of putting them on tapes.

also another addition to the thread, tommy wright , not enough peeps know about him

Daps
The Memphis beats were one-dimensional as fukk. Needed a little atmosphere.

memphis has more atmosphere than any other region in hip-hop. that's why these new jacks are failing at recreating the sound, they just can't match that atmosphere.
and tell me how they're one dimensional when they got all the shyt you think you know about in addition to instrumentals like this:

Last edited:
Daps
i feel like i can't have this thread without an appearance from DJ Spanish Fly, probably THE originator of the memphis sound.
let this shyt riiiiiiideeee oouuuuutttttttttt....

^this has the earliest mention of syrup i've ever heard:
"back in the year about '85, man this shyt was real live
me and the (???) drinking syrup on the hill, right"

i think this album came out in '91, anyone know if it was ever rapped about before then?