Jamaica is the first Caribbean country to welcome 1 million visitors and bag $800m so far in 2019

collateral.

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Issa Yard ting. Goat island in the Western Hemisphere, everybody wants to experience Ja :blessed:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
That's dope, but to be fair it's only a few countries large enough to accommodate 1 million visitors in 9 weeks:
Cuba,
Haiti (doesn't have nearly as much tourism infrastructure, so maybe not)
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico (if you want to call it a country) Trinidad (but maybe not)
Bahamas (maybe)

That's still amazing though. Secure the bag.

Now just reinvest that money into infrastructure, education, etc.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I just wonder where all that money is going . Love that place and the people .

The Anthony Bordain episode where he went over there spent some time focusing on the foreign investors who were buying up much of the prime real estate over there. A lot of the hotels, beaches, prime fishing locations, are NOT owned by local Jamaicans. In many instances the folks who grew up there and lived off the land and sea are being displaced in the name of tourism.

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
Shot out to my yardies, born in Canada yet im Jamaican and Barbadian .

No, you're Canadian
Do you have passport from those countries?

The Anthony Bordain episode where he went over there spent some time focusing on the foreign investors who were buying up much of the prime real estate over there. A lot of the hotels, beaches, prime fishing locations, are NOT owned by local Jamaicans. In many instances the folks who grew up there and lived off the land and sea are being displaced in the name of tourism.
sale of these lands are not advertised to the locals, some of these lands are either "crown" land or owned by the Govt.

I just wonder where all that money is going . Love that place and the people .

debt repayment

Tourism taxes provides for a lot of the govt budget. (Nurses,police, teachers, firemen and others)

After debt is repaid, whatever is left gets "trickled" down
Govt. workers get shyt wages

And people tried to act like the violence would take away from tourism. Nope!

Because majority of hotels are all-inconclusives
it was the gang shooting on the airport road that caused the state of emergency, prior to that, the gangs were running wild but as soon as that tourism money got touched, Govt shut shyt down.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How many of them are old white women getting their wrinkled backs blown out over there?

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Well that's good, but as a Jamaican I really wanna hear the money going towards the infrastructure and resources the island desperately needs.

Celebratory articles like this don't fool me when places like Hanover don't look any better than it did 40 years ago and many people are still living in poverty while that wotliss Andrew Holness and his government cronies ain't doing shyt, as well as these chinese parasites slowly taking over. Jamaica is the GOAT, but it has HUUUUUGE potential to be way greater.