JaMarcus Russell: "I'll go play for free."

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
JaMarcus Russell says he'd 'play for free' for a chance to return to the NFL

The NFL Draft starts on Thursday, which is also the nine-year anniversary of former Williamson High School star JaMarcus Russell going to the Oakland Raiders with the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Russell has told Sports Illustrated he'd "play for free" to get back in the NFL. Sports Illustrated will release a video update on Russell on SI Films on Tuesday. On Monday, Sports Illustrated posted a teaser for its production.

"God makes things happen for a reason," Russell said in the video. "Who's to say? You might see me back. You never know, man. You never know. ... Whatever it is -- I can be a water boy and work my way into a scout team. It doesn't matter. I'll go play for free."

In 2002, Russell was a Parade All-American, Alabama's Mr. Football and the AHSAA Class 5A Player of the Year and Back of the Year for the Williamson Lions. He also was an All-State selection in 2000 and honorable mention in 1999 and 2001 for the Mobile school.

Russell went on to become the All-SEC quarterback for LSU in 2006.

Russell reported late for his first training camp with Oakland after prolonged contract negotiations. He wound up with a six-year, $61 million contract, including $32 million in guaranteed money.

Russell started 25 games during his three seasons in the NFL. He completed 354-of-680 passes for 4,083 yards and 18 touchdowns with 23 interceptions and had a 7-18 record as a starter.

The Raiders released Russell in May 2010.

The Sports Illustrated piece reveals Russell wrote to NFL teams last year, asking for a chance to work out for coaches.

"I am willing to lead the scout team for free for one year just to get experience in your system," Russell wrote in a letter to Jerry Jones, the owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys.

The letter to Jones also said: "I know that my name does not carry much weight in the NFL right now, but I am more than the image that others have bestowed on me. I've been labeled as a bust, I have been labeled as lazy and I have been the targets of many insults by the media. The blame for any negative press that I've received rested squarely on my shoulders. ... My tribulations have humbled me. I am a better man because of my struggles, and I simply desire an opportunity redeem myself. I do not want my legacy to be a trail of unfulfilled dreams and missed opportunities."

Russell made a concerted effort at a comeback in 2013. Training under the direction of former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia at Test West Football Academy in San Diego, Russell lost about 50 pounds to get back to his collegiate weight of 265 pounds. He earned a workout with the Chicago Bears in June 2013, but did not get a chance to go to training camp with an NFL team.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man, I know it's his personal career and you gotta do what you gotta do for your own life, but this shyt is embarrassing and pathetic the begging this Black man has to do for these CACs. SMH @ I'm willing to risk my health in your billion dollar industry FOR FREE. And to add insult to insult, nobody is even sending him an e-mail back.