Job Seekers: Do you ever consider Black owned businesses?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know a lot of people, whether getting out of school, between jobs, or otherwise are looking for a new gig. It can be hard in this economy but with all the ad nauseam threads about "getting organized", "starting business", "what X group does", etc. as well as the complaints on employment discrimination, have any of you really thought about targeting Black businesses in your job search?

Given your experience and skill set you can start in a few places:

BE 100 - top 100 Black owned firms in several categories
Local Black owned business directory
Local chapter of Black professional organization (accountants, lawyers, restaurants, etc.)

A lot of people exclusively push entrepreneurship as the only way to help the Black economy but this overlooks that not everyone can or even wants to run a business and one can actually help Black businesses by being a motivated and talented employee.

After my MBA I targeted some Black owned companies I was interested in and was able to avoid a lot of the resume screen BS and get some good offers (the cities didn't work out though). I would encourage everyone, especially young people, to give these a look in your job search.

Any thoughts?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Also approaching companies directly rather than relying on Monster, career placement at schools, or Craigslist can be a distinct advantage if you do it right. Finding personal emails for current employees or using LinkedIn can be key.