Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
What’s the secret breh :mjgrin:

How long it take to get to 827? :feedme:

congrats!!! that's excellent. how did you manage that??? Need to reduce my debt to income ratio. how long did it take you?

It was basically 3 things for me.
  • Figure out your budget. Know how much you have to spend and stop overextending yourself. A lot of people don't have a real budget. They just calculate things in their head. When I used to do this, I would always forget soemthing and spend more than I had. After you have enough saved up that you aren't living paycheck to paycheck, this isn't as important anymore.
  • Understand that bad credit can stay on your record for 7 years. Pay a bill late, skip out on a payment, etc. all of that goes on your record. YOu fukk up remember that the 7 year clock starts all over again.
  • Get all 3 of you credit reports and be proactive. If there's stuff older than 7 years, WRITE DON'T CALL the credit bureau and ask them to remove those items. Only 3 items per written request as I understand. YOu can also ask to challenge stuff that doesn't look right. If you have old stuff on your CRs you can't remove, be proactive and make payment arrangements and ask the vendor to clean up your credit after you resolve your debt items (I didn't have a lot of luck but always try).
One other thing, once you get your credit cleaned up, people are going to throw credit offers at you like whoa. I'm talking zero interest long term deals, huge credit limits, etc. You just have to teach yourself not to take the bait. I'd say the last 10 years I've been dealing with this part. I just applied for a new credit card really just to have a card with AirPay support. They threw a $16K balance at me. 10 years ago I was going shopping, now I can shrug that off.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
827 :banderas:

When I started out, my credit score was 315, the lowest possible is 300 :mjlol:

Being debt free man :wow:
if you're going to be debt free what's the point of improving your score to 800+? my score was 815 in march, it's 804 for april. it went down a little because i actually use my credit. the point of my excellent score is so that i can get financing at 0% or near 0% interest.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
if you're going to be debt free what's the point of improving your score to 800+? my score was 815 in march, it's 804 for april. it went down a little because i actually use my credit. the point of my excellent score is so that i can get financing at 0% or near 0% interest.

Debt free doesn't mean you don't use credit. I can refi my house at a better rate, get cards with better terms, etc.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Debt free doesn't mean you don't use credit. I can refi my house at a better rate, get cards with better terms, etc.
it means you're paying it off the next due date then. what's the fun in that when someone could be lending you money at a lower rate than you can get investing.

and a mortgage is debt fwiw.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
it means you're paying it off the next due date then. what's the fun in that when someone could be lending you money at a lower rate than you can get investing.

and a mortgage is debt fwiw.

if you need to rent an apartment in a major city you need good credit these days as well.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Just checked mine

American Express says 817
Discover says 809
Citi says 832
Credit Karma says 819 and 820
Chase was down.

I don't live "debt free" but I don't have any major debt. I use credit cards to purchase almost everything but I pay my bills in full each month. I have no installment loans. In the next year I plan to get a mortgage but I as far as I'm concerned I'll never finance another car again if I can help it. I financed a car 5 years ago and it was probably the worst mistake I even made. Put zero down and the car got totaled and I was thousands underwater on it but I had GAP insurance so I walked away scot-free. From that day forward I said never again.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
827 with what? Is that your fico score? Congrats tho breh, I'm a loan officer at a bank if you or anyone else have any questions about credit
Going to start applying for mortgages with my wife next month. Is it true that rates are based on the lowest person's score? Any other advice is appreciated.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Going to start applying for mortgages with my wife next month. Is it true that rates are based on the lowest person's score? Any other advice is appreciated.
I'm not sure what other financial institutions do, but we go by whoever has the higher score, you'd definitely want to check. Let me know if you have any additional questions