Just How important was “Whoa!” to Bad Boy Records?

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
That whole album is criminally underrated

Amazing album, bad timing.

If it wasnt for Whoa, the album would have been an afterthought :francis:

Probably one of the last authentic NY hip hop based albums, before shyt went left.

Album made me want to wear a Yankees cap despite being from Philly :francis:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Whoa and Bad Boyz saved the label..... Bad Boy's early 2000's run was very underrated btw

First comment took me out.

"Took me forever to find this song. All I could remember is the ohhhhh shiddliwhakddjfoij whoahh.. swing"

Last edited:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i was a somewhat pretentious teenager that hated most of what bad boy did because it wasnt hardcore hip hop enough, so this song pretty much justified bad boy's existence to me since BIG was dead and the lox werent really what they should have been

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As already said, this song saved Bad Boy. Instantly loved the song and restored the feeling because 1999 was such a dismal year for the label.

really tho

that ain't gangsta
Supporter
Daps
Definitely was needed after biggies passing. Woah was everywhere in the hood. Black Rob >>> G Dep and dep was hot

Alvin

Superstar
Daps

Of course RIP Black Rob. I was inspired to make this thread because I saw an old complex interview with the producer of this record Buckwild and he said this

“‘I told ya’ll this record is going to be crazy! All ya’ll nikkas slept on this record.’ That record kind of brought Bad Boy back. I think that was the first video, which Puff was actually in for a long time.”

He said that Whoa! Brought “bad boy back”. Do you agree or is he overstating this? If we agree and we were to rank the most important songs in the history of bad boy records where would “Whoa!” Land?

Very, Big dead, LOX gone, Mase gone, 112 and faith couldn’t carry the label based off R&B.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Still remember the 1st time I heard this shyt.
My older gods used to be heavy into house parties, DJing, getting all the new music before it hit the streets (damn I miss the culture)
They were out in long island but they had connections...
I was stealing their tapes and bringing them back to Brooklyn.
When I heard the song, I knew instantly it was gonna be a hit.
Let my nikka Diddy (no relation lol) hear it on a train ride home from school... nikka was like :whoo:

R.I.P. to Black Rob.

Its crazy they this song was released in 2000.
But I know for a fact I had it before that year and was playing it wayyy before it hit the radio