Just Passed the CISSP new CAT test...Ask Me Anything

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I believe a few months ago I said I was targeting the CASP, but I decided to say fukk that and get the CISSP since its rated better in the DoD system

DoD-8570.01M-Update.png

As you see the CISSP has better coverage. Marketability just went up. Again can't stress how good a hustle the government contracting game is to you younger guys wanting to get into the industry and eat. Get your clearances anyway you can, take a bad paying contract to get that Secret or TS and feast.

Now back on topic. Passed the test, must say its one of the easiest tests I've ever taken.
I had 100 questions exactly, I have to say its difficulty is very similar to Sec+ IMHO. You study the Shon Harris book cover to cover, then read the Sybex ISC2 book for refinement of what you just learned and you'll be good.

Any specific questions though and I'm here to help.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:blessed: congrats
Hoping to have it by May
You use any vids?

How exactly you use the Shon Harris book? Read through once?

What was your general approach to studying?

What next?

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
:blessed: congrats
Hoping to have it by May
You use any vids?

How exactly you use the Shon Harris book? Read through once?

What was your general approach to studying?

What next?

You should be able to do it easily.
Read the Shon Harris book, the latest edition cover to cover.
Read it to the point you, know that you know each domain. Take the tests after each chapter then take the comprehensive test.

Read the Sybex book on areas that you found you were weaker on the Shon Harris side. You'll find that Shon Harris gives you more info than you are tested on, but thats a good thing, if you get it you'll be more than prepared for the actual exam and the Sybex will just allow you tofocus on the specifics you need to focus on for the actual exam.

I typically studied a domain per day in Shon Harris, and then spent a week refining and doing quizzes in Sybex. So it was a 2 week run for me. I wouldn't say for anyone to copy it, because I had a great deal of the foundation for this test with my CASP study.

Whats next?
Probably looking at VMWare next and definitely getting the CISSP - management tract add-on for the CISSP

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I believe a few months ago I said I was targeting the CASP, but I decided to say fukk that and get the CISSP since its rated better in the DoD system

DoD-8570.01M-Update.png

As you see the CISSP has better coverage. Marketability just went up. Again can't stress how good a hustle the government contracting game is to you younger guys wanting to get into the industry and eat. Get your clearances anyway you can, take a bad paying contract to get that Secret or TS and feast.

Now back on topic. Passed the test, must say its one of the easiest tests I've ever taken.
I had 100 questions exactly, I have to say its difficulty is very similar to Sec+ IMHO. You study the Shon Harris book cover to cover, then read the Sybex ISC2 book for refinement of what you just learned and you'll be good.

Any specific questions though and I'm here to help.
How do you go about getting a clearance? I saw @Originalman mention they got DoD jobs down here in Texas. Do I have to travel if I take a DoD job?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How do you go about getting a clearance? I saw @Originalman mention they got DoD jobs down here in Texas. Do I have to travel if I take a DoD job?
You have to be sponsored by a company or luck into a government position that will pay for the clearance for you. Some brehs got their clearances in the military and then when they get out they are marketable while the investigation period is still good for your clearance.
If you live in Dallas Forth Worth area there is a base there so look at jobs for the local base. I know there is an air base in san antonio as well. But you may have to travel for an opportunity, but that is up to you and your financial state and the job market in the area.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Congrats. I'm going to tackle this later this year. Have to knock out a few certs my company wants me to get.

.r.

Veteran
Daps
OP

What other certs do you have?
And will these new one push you over the $150k yr range?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
OP

What other certs do you have?
And will these new one push you over the $150k yr range?
I have this CISSP, CySA+, Sec+, Net+, A+
I doubt just having the certs will get me in 150k, but if I wanted to go to the DMV area I'm sure I could be in the 110 and 120k range with my TS.
I prefer to stay in the south though, so I'm looking to hopefully break into the 100k range down here or in GA in Savannah area where the Army cybercommand is located around.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
CySA+ = CompTIA CySA+ ??

Any college? Ive been noticing a lot of jobs looking for a degree.
Yeah the CompTIA CySA+, pretty solid degree, that test was a lot harder than the CISSP, but it was more practical and grounded in a specific area.
College, yeah I have a BS in IT and a MS in Management. To be honest, I think only now at this level after being in the field since 2003 have my degrees become assets. I'd say if you are starting out though if you get your foot in the door with an associates or hell just get your foot in the door you can make money and still.
I'm moving more towards management though instead of SME technical tract so I see it becoming useful more now.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.