Keighley wins: E3 is cancelled permanently

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If the argument is in the absence of E3 The Game Awards is probably the next big gaming event of the year I guess. It doesn't make it E3's replacement. It's like when Tom Brady retired and Baker Mayfield signed to become Tampa Bay's starting QB. He might be the starter now by default but he's no Tom Brady and he can't replace TB either. There is a void left behind.

E3 was a relic of a different time. We got our game news from magazines (later web sites) and those journalist converged there to disperse what the companies showed to them. In a modern world a YouTube channel can reach more people than those magazines ever could. They could have pulled E3 back to a much smaller scale event and toned it down but then it wouldn't have been E3 anymore. There already are other smaller trade shows.

E3 was going to fail and there was no saving it because the world didn't need it anymore. The parts of E3 that still work remain and the parts that didn't were scrapped. E3's final form is a bunch of loosely tied together showcases over several weeks to a month.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It was bound to happen given the fact that the last half decade or so the companies have favored putting on their own shows and reveals rather than competing with the studios over a three day weekend.

It's sad to see it go though, it was fun during the summer looking forward to all the trailers and reveals. There are some epic moments tied to E3 that i'll never forget.

Another poster said it earlier in the thread, but the key to E3's longevity would have been transferring it more into an official gaming awards show like TGA

TDT

All Star
Daps
Knew E3 was done once they got rid of booth babes and started letting everbody in. Got too big to sustain.

E3 still was strong after they went back on booth babes.
Also they were always lax on credentials, always
I bet all those who worked as booth babes are glad, they won't have to deal with all the pervert types(there used to be a bunch of reports of people getting too "hands-on" with them and not the console controllers) anymore..

And yea the few times i went i saw they were letting in people who claimed that they were from "a new dev studio who will be self publishing our own titles" :shaq::mjlol:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I bet all those who worked as booth babes are glad, they won't have to deal with all the pervert types(there used to be a bunch of reports of people getting too "hands-on" with them and not the console controllers) anymore..

And yea the few times i went i saw they were letting in people who claimed that they were from "a new dev studio who will be self publishing our own titles" :shaq::mjlol:
Booth babes didn't care, it was easy work and attention.
Only folks crying were the man hating lesbians who wanted to enter male spaces and complain and the white knights who thought repeating what the men haters would say would get them some easy p*ssy.

You could get press passes just by calling and saying you represented a magazine, or a website and you could get a press page. It wasn't until they started tighting up on that that E3 and the aura it used to have started to die.

Too corporate

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you can’t replace something that failed by being just like it
One of these things is a game trade show where companies show up, post floor demos and allow the press to demo their games.

The other thing is an award show with time and promotional space given for companies to announce new games. We aren't getting gameplay impressions from stuff people played at The Game Awards because it's not about that.

Summer Game Fest if anything is the attempt to replace E3. The Game Awards is completely different. You have to ignore what E3 actually was, a trade show, and mostly focus on the press events that happened before E3 to make the case that The Game Awards replaced E3. Again those pre-E3 press events were technically not E3. They happened before the show.