Kendrick Lamar ft SZA - All the Stars (Black Panther Soundtrack)

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
What a great soundtrack song. Had all the drama and escalation in the music. Only thing it was missing was some actual lyrics

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What a great soundtrack song. Had all the drama and escalation in the music. Only thing it was missing was some actual lyrics
Now that you mention it...

You go onto genius and they talking about how the song is about Kendrick's personal life or the events of Black Panther. I think both are way off.

When I heard that shyt drop right as the closing credits rolled, I thought that the lyrics were about the EVENT of the movie. Kendrick's speaking directly to the audience about the making of Black Panther and all it represents. The pre-chorus/chorus is spoken to Black people telling them its about them, and the verse is reminding everyone else what's up.

Let's talk about love, is it anything and everything you hoped for?
Black Panther was a labor of love, love for the entire Black diaspora. "Is it anything and everything you hoped for?" speaks directly to the gigantic expectations the community had going into the movie. All the visuals in the video are enormous crowds of Black people looking up to Kendrick, kids sheltered in the arms of Mother Africa and faces bright in expectation.

This may be the night that my dreams might let me know, All the stars are closer
This night, this opening, this movie, it makes us all feel a little closer to reaching the stars. The superimposition of the stars on Africa makes that visual tight too.

Tell me what you gon' do to me
Confrontation ain't nothin' new to me
You can bring a bullet, bring a sword, bring a morgue
But you can't bring the truth to me

fukk you and all your expectations
I don't even want your congratulations
I recognize your false confidence
And calculated promises all in your conversation
He's saying FU to all the critics from outside [implicitly the white power structures], it don't matter if they come to talk shyt or come to give praise, he doesn't care. "I don't even want your congratulations" sounds so damn specific like he's talking about the congratulations they're going to get for the movie. But he's saying screw that, he sees right through it, this movie is NOT for you and your reaction to it is NOT the truth.

It's also interesting that in the video, he's standing in the African slum and shouting OUT, facing away from the video, away from the slum, speaking out into the outside world. He's telling the outsiders what he thinks of them.

I hate people that feel entitled
Look at me crazy 'cause I ain't invite you
Oh, you important?
You the moral to the story? You endorsin'?
Mothafukka, I don't even like you
That doubles down on it. Again, "I ain't invite you" to watch this, this isn't for you. "You important? You the moral to the story? You endorsin?" sounds so damn like White people trying to make themselves important and insert themselves into the picture, either by endorsing the story or trying to fit themselves into the moral somehow. And he's saying fukk that, I don't even like you, this ain't about you.

And as he confronts the White viewer/critic directly, notice that he is surrounded by Black people, and the camera switches to Black faces which are looking not at Kendrick but also at that viewer, in confrontation.

Corrupt a man's heart with a gift
That's how you find out who you dealin' with
A small percentage who I'm buildin' with
I want the credit if I'm losin' or I'm winnin'
On my momma, that's the realest shyt
Kendrick isn't in this one for the money and he ain't gonna be bought off. He's keeping this one in the family because he wants everyone to know that this is a Black movie from one end to the other and Black people are getting the credit for it no matter what.

And as the video switches towards the pre-chorus again, Kendrick turns back towards the Black community and faces them, "Let's talk about love, is it anything and everything you hoped for?"

I think that if you read it that way it's a well-written and direct lyric. All those words like "your expectations", "your congratulations", "I want the credit, "who I'm buildin' with", "moral to the story", "everything you hoped for", I don't see how this could be about anything other than the making of the movie and what that represents to Kendrick and within the community.

I wouldn't have written all this, but I've just heard a lot of people talk about the song and ain't heard no one mention this, so I checked genius and they seem to have totally missed it too.

Though there may be a reason for that. :mjpls:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Now that you mention it...

You go onto genius and they talking about how the song is about Kendrick's personal life or the events of Black Panther. I think both are way off.

When I heard that shyt drop right as the closing credits rolled, I thought that the lyrics were about the EVENT of the movie. Kendrick's speaking directly to the audience about the making of Black Panther and all it represents. The pre-chorus/chorus is spoken to Black people telling them its about them, and the verse is reminding everyone else what's up.

Black Panther was a labor of love, love for the entire Black diaspora. "Is it anything and everything you hoped for?" speaks directly to the gigantic expectations the community had going into the movie. All the visuals in the video are enormous crowds of Black people looking up to Kendrick, kids sheltered in the arms of Mother Africa and faces bright in expectation.

This night, this opening, this movie, it makes us all feel a little closer to reaching the stars. The superimposition of the stars on Africa makes that visual tight too.

He's saying FU to all the critics from outside [implicitly the white power structures], it don't matter if they come to talk shyt or come to give praise, he doesn't care. "I don't even want your congratulations" sounds so damn specific like he's talking about the congratulations they're going to get for the movie. But he's saying screw that, he sees right through it, this movie is NOT for you and your reaction to it is NOT the truth.

It's also interesting that in the video, he's standing in the African slum and shouting OUT, facing away from the video, away from the slum, speaking out into the outside world. He's telling the outsiders what he thinks of them.

That doubles down on it. Again, "I ain't invite you" to watch this, this isn't for you. "You important? You the moral to the story? You endorsin?" sounds so damn like White people trying to make themselves important and insert themselves into the picture, either by endorsing the story or trying to fit themselves into the moral somehow. And he's saying fukk that, I don't even like you, this ain't about you.

And as he confronts the White viewer/critic directly, notice that he is surrounded by Black people, and the camera switches to Black faces which are looking not at Kendrick but also at that viewer, in confrontation.

Kendrick isn't in this one for the money and he ain't gonna be bought off. He's keeping this one in the family because he wants everyone to know that this is a Black movie from one end to the other and Black people are getting the credit for it no matter what.

And as the video switches towards the pre-chorus again, Kendrick turns back towards the Black community and faces them, "Let's talk about love, is it anything and everything you hoped for?"

I think that if you read it that way it's a well-written and direct lyric. All those words like "your expectations", "your congratulations", "I want the credit, "who I'm buildin' with", "moral to the story", "everything you hoped for", I don't see how this could be about anything other than the making of the movie and what that represents to Kendrick and within the community.

I wouldn't have written all this, but I've just heard a lot of people talk about the song and ain't heard no one mention this, so I checked genius and they seem to have totally missed it too.

Though there may be a reason for that. :mjpls:
It captured a mood but the song lyrics weren't anything memorable. The singing in the beginning and chorus are the best parts.

The escalation of those strings :blessed:

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this song much better now that i know he was cooking BBL drizzy:wow:

:ohlawd:

Confrontation ain't nothin' new
to me
I recognize your false confidence and calculated promises all in your conversation
Oh, you important?
You the moral to the story, you endorsing?
Motherfukker, I don't even like you
A small percentage, who I'm building with
I want the credit if I'm losing or I'm winning
On my mama, that's the realest shyt

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohlawd:

Confrontation ain't nothin' new
to me
I recognize your false confidence and calculated promises all in your conversation
Oh, you important?
You the moral to the story, you endorsing?
Motherfukker, I don't even like you
A small percentage, who I'm building with
I want the credit if I'm losing or I'm winning
On my mama, that's the realest shyt
breh been consistent