Kendrick Lamar Keeps Progressing...While Drake Isn't

Twilight

Rookie
Daps

Thoughts?

My personal opinion:
I find it strange that since Drake broke out on the scene in 2009, almost 10 years later he's still rapping about the same shyt. A 30 year old man who is still as self-involved as ever, whining about how his exes have the nerve to move on because, well don't they know he owns them? He has never displayed any concrete, eloquent opinions about anything happening outside of his immediate circle. He cares about nothing outside of his crew and his haters. He has not truly articulated an opinion on any sociopolitical topic besides "fukk Donald Trump" and a quick shoutout to police brutality when Meek had his back against the wall. Again, this is a 30 year old man with this limited subject matter...you should become LESS self-involved as you get older, not more.

And as far as his rap skillset, he's not evolving there and has indeed been stagnant for quite some time. Then you've got the ghostwriting scandal; I think he's been choosing to go it alone writing-wise since the QM exposal and you can see the stark difference. VIEWS really shined a light on Drake's weaknesses.

I've enjoyed some of Drake's music in the past but it's really becoming quite obvious that he's a shallow and selfish guy, an empty shell with very little substance as a person or as an MC. And in a desperate attempt to defer his demise, he's trying to latch onto and ride any wave he can to stay on top, even if it results in cheap imitation Carribean elevator music for quick hits or latching on to Grime rappers trying to ride their movement to remain seemingly relevant and edgy.

It is becoming more and more obvious every day: Drake is NOT the top MC, and him trying to play both sides won't work for much longer. He either has to take rap more seriously, or go full pop.

Last edited:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I think Drake progressed and dropped fire between 07 and 2015.

I don't know what he's up to after that, he just wants to make hits for everyone. He can go to any crowd and please them. But that has damaged his art, because that's not his main focus it's the hits for every crowd.

Two for the thots, two for the "real hiphop", two for the urban clubs, two for all clubs, Caribbean vibe for the international shyt, rnb, grime and on... all in all it's like Various artist compilation and they are never that good.

Kendrick on the other hand is still trying to fight to be mentioned with Jay, Nas, Pac and them.

Trey0'5Blue2Gz

I'm The Cook that killed Gus Fring
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Liberty City
Drake is pioneering international music :what:, do you know how much love he gets globally?

giphy.gif

BocaRear

The World Is My Country, To Do Good Is My Religion
Daps
Undoubtedly. But how has he progressed as a rapper?

Drake is more than a rapper. He's a musician. The way you're framing this is very loaded.
When you use the word progressing, drake is constantly progressing and incorporating different sounds into his music.
This 'playing it safe' and 'stagnation' talk is absolutely ridiculous.
Drake singlehandedly brought Grime to a US audience. Drake implements elements of Afrobeats and Dancehall in his sound.

The culture follows Drake, just look at that new French Montana single.

Kendrick generally plays it safe and feeds the 'muh real hip hop' fans but Drake is always reinventing his sound

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Drake is more than a rapper. He's a musician. The way you're framing this is very loaded.
When you use the word progressing, drake is constantly progressing and incorporating different sounds into his music.
This 'playing it safe' and 'stagnation' talk is absolutely ridiculous.
Drake singlehandedly brought Grime to a US audience. Drake implements elements of Afrobeats and Dancehall in his sound.

The culture follows Drake, just look at that new French Montana single.

Kendrick generally plays it safe and feeds the 'muh real hip hop' fans but Drake is always reinventing his sound
Rappers aren't musicians? :pdahellclean:Have some respect for hip hop Breh :pdahell2:
How is it loaded? Drake's a rapper ain't he?
All these other sounds and international stuff is great, let me ask you again,
How has he progressed as a rapper?:pdahell3:

WickedGames

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UK
50hK2vIt.gif

The nikka was exposed for utilizing a ghostwriter ,doesn't produce,and doesn't play any instruments but he's a musician?

Prince is rolling over in his grave

You guys realise that using a co writer for a song doesn't mean you don't have the ability to write at all right? Drake has written hit songs for himself and others.

He's an artist. You guys also realise how much goes into creating music. I'm not sure if you guys are actually stupid to think sh*t is so black and white or you just hate Drake. I'm genuinely interested to know.

Go watch a random interview of producers who've worked with Drake and how amazed they are by dude. I realise dudes ignore all that content but stick to stuff that suits there hate aganda :laugh:

KRiLL (+)

Yo! Ho! Ho!
Daps
Reppin
Straw Hat Pirates
I think Drake progressed and dropped fire between 07 and 2015.

I don't know what he's up to after that, he just wants to make hits for everyone. He can go to any crowd and please them. But that has damaged his art, because that's not his main focus it's the hits for every crowd.

Two for the thots, two for the "real hiphop", two for the urban clubs, two for all clubs, Caribbean vibe for the international shyt, rnb, grime and on... all in all it's like Various artist compilation and they are never that good.

Kendrick on the other hand is still trying to fight to be mentioned with Jay, Nas, Pac and them.
Drake hasn't progressed at all, the nikka just hoped on waves & had ghostwriters...:mjlol: