KRS-One Says He Can't Make Money In The U.S. Due To Lack Of Respect For Hip Hop

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
:whoa: on blaming the youths for not fukking with KRS. He is the older nikka's guy, they have to support him.

It's funny that the older crowds talk about how it's the youths fault for not supporting older dudes when in reality it's their fault. If you go to an AC/DC concert you're not going to see a gang of 17 year-old kids there. It's going to be mostly people in their 40s and 50s that grew up listening to their music, but they can still pack stadiums.

Why don't older fans support rap legends like that?

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Lol people really don't know what they're talking about lol. Like KRS ain't eating from the lecture circuit, live shows, books, royalties, new albums and more.
He shouldn't have a problem making money. He can tour and make a grip. I think he is more bitter than anything. Not bitter over finances but how the art is more accepted overseas.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He shouldn't have a problem making money. He can tour and make a grip. I think he is more bitter than anything. Not bitter over finances but how the art is more accepted overseas.

That's it, its not about money it's about the bolded.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This nikka late

Real hip hop artist been eating good for years overseas and still do..

Even jin cake a little bit when he couldn't sell shyt here
"A little bit" ?
Dude is practically a star over in Asia from what I've heard.
If anything he's eating very,very well. :laugh:

On topic :
To be honest most anything "old" in America musical or otherwise
is seen as antiquated.
I've had people look at me sideways for listening to music from just a DECADE
ago, let alone two or three or more.

Last edited:

jwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Longevity is hard in music. Hella hard in the rap game. Most people fade because styles change. In this case rap changed to something that I don't recognize. It's so simple and completely dumb now. It's not rap at all. It's crap.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It's backwards our GOAT Legends have to go abroad to get respect, instead of on their own turf:snoop:

It also makes sense why many kids don't respect black history today either :sadbron:

Its like having wisdom is look downed upon in today's society. Everyone wants to be ratchet and get paid in large sums for doing nothing.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
In all honesty, its our fault...because like someone already posted, we don't support our hip hop pioneers like we should...I'm not sure why tho...

Its not like this in Rock... :yeshrug:

Or even in old school R&B. There are people that still come out to Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind, and Fire shows in 2015.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
You dnt get what im saying

Im saying hip hop is a genre rooted in competition..where if u are a participant u are always in constant competition

What that means is..hip hop is not the genre in which u can simply live on your past accomplishments

U have to constantly be fcking the competition up in droppin hot records, to get recognition in hip hop

Different than a genre such as rock and sht where its not rooted to competition

So contributions should be forgotten when you fall off? What kind of logic is that? I bet you you don't give a fukk about Black History either. :scust:

blackslash

Superstar
Daps
So contributions should be forgotten when you fall off? What kind of logic is that? I bet you you don't give a fukk about Black History either. :scust:
Nikka wdf

Im jus explaining why hip hop does what it does

Dnt blame me blame the elements of hip hop

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Plenty of artists from Jigga, Nas, 50, Lupe go overseas and do shows and get money. I watched a video of Gunit in Rio de Janiero that did numbers.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Saw KRS in France like 6 years ago. Paid 22 bucks in an average venue. Show was almost packed and lasted more than 2 hours compared to the Busta, Wu, Lil Jon who barely made it 1h and charged twice more smh. KRS is mad cool on top of that, before the concert started man was (almost) dolo dapping fans and all (I got to check his hand) and even got out in the street to meet people who were waiting outside :wow:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
It's funny that the older crowds talk about how it's the youths fault for not supporting older dudes when in reality it's their fault. If you go to an AC/DC concert you're not going to see a gang of 17 year-old kids there. It's going to be mostly people in their 40s and 50s that grew up listening to their music, but they can still pack stadiums.

Why don't older fans support rap legends like that?

they do.. thats why they tour so much.

if you ever go to a old school show. its usually sold out.

Again, y'all taking the comments waaaay too literal.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
It also makes sense why many kids don't respect black history today either :sadbron:

Its like having wisdom is look downed upon in today's society. Everyone wants to be ratchet and get paid in large sums for doing nothing.

self u have always been one of my fav posters on here mane

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Dunno. Other genres don't have this problem. Kids get into high school and start discovering a variety of old music - from Led Zeppelin to Stevie Wonder to Madonna. Rock, pop, r&b, even blues and folk music. But for rap the farthest back most kids go is Biggie and Tupac - maybe ATCQ. You've got Taylor Swift bringing out the goddess Stevie Nicks to perform songs, and Swift's lil fans google Stevie Nicks and buy or stream a Fleetwood Mac album. Whereas young rap fans won't do that.

Rap is largely seen as disposable music. Fast food. Even pop gets more respect, although it's certain viewed as disposable to many people.

Whereas in Europe and Asia there seems to be more appreciation for rap as a genre and art. They respect the pioneers. Just like Europe respects black American artists who did blues and rock before the British Invasion. But the weird thing is that BB King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, etc do VERY well touring in the US too. Fans of rock go back and listen to the pioneers. I saw Buddy Guy a few years ago and most of the audience was young; 20s-30s. Some older people as well of course but it was a young audience. Why doesn't rap work that way?

It's because most of our artists treat it as disposable. Many artists stumble into a booth at 4 in the morning, blowed out of their minds, rap some slightly slick shyt then bone the thot that came with them from the club in the nearest bathroom. It's largely disposable. No one can ever tell me that with all of the mixtapes people like Gucci Mane has put out that he was striving for excellence. Not to mention, I'm not going to be seeing a group like Bone Thugs in Harmony when they are in their 60s, talking about First of the Month and Thug Luv when they are a few scant years away from social security. I can't even fathom how big of a disconnect that would be to hear. This is a genre that kills and consumes it's old. That's why Jay is never going back to Reasonable Doubt Jay-Z. There isn't any longevity in it in the long run for tours and such though I'm sure that he would prefer to make that kind of music.