LA Schools Realize Giving Every Kid an iPad Was a Costly Disaster, Will Give Every Kid a Laptop Inst

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Man fukk these dumb liberal beauracrats. Why the hell would these teachers think an IPad would be better than a cheap laptop?

Be a liberal educator brehs..
this was all part of steve jobs marketing plan. You start off now, and when they get older apple would be the only thing they would know.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
were you happy with an encyclopedia? google ruined everything? you guys are dopes.
Reading is better for the mind than staring endlessly at a screen with little mental stimulation. But what do I know, I'm a dope.
Do not put words in my mouth about Google and encyclopedias. A good education builds intelligence and character - tell me all about how jailbreaking an iPad helps fulfill those goals.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
I used to have to buy my own supplies, now kids getting ipads given to them at school. :yodahell:

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
The Los Angeles Superintendent of Schools has resigned. There were many reasons but the iPads played a role.

Caputo-Pearl cites the bungled $1 billion iPad program, an effort, at the start of the 2013 school year, to put a tablet in the hands of every student in the district. The rollout began amid confusion over whether students would be allowed to take the devices home and who’d be held responsible if they were lost or stolen. There was public outcry over the program’s billion-dollar price tag. Deasy ended the program after emails revealed he discussed a possible contract with Apple before bidding took place; he has denied any wrongdoing. Still, Caputo-Pearl refers to the situation as a “scandal.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...superintendent-resign/381588/2/#disqus_thread

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
If you want America to compete in the future, putting technology in the hands of all students is the key. That being said, you can do that and still have accountability, which seems like this district did not have.

This may be shocking, but the Nordic/Scandinavian countries have been doing this, and don't face these issues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/26689320